Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How do you place a bet at the bookies? Watch

ReputationRep:
    So, I have to go to the bookies today as part of a 'think 21' check.

But, i've never been before and haven't a clue how to place a bet or which gaming machines to use.
    Can anyone tell me what to say when I go to the counter? And can you just bet on something like Newcastle winning against Brighton this weekend?

Sorry for my total lack of knowledge :P
    thanks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by feathergirl)

But, i've never been before and haven't a clue how to place a bet or which gaming machines to use.
    Can anyone tell me what to say when I go to the counter? And can you just bet on something like Newcastle winning against Brighton this weekend?

thanks!
    whats a 'think 21' check?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jack93o)
    whats a 'think 21' check?
    It's to make sure lots of different places ask for ID

ReputationRep:
    It's to make sure lots of different places ask for ID
    I still don't get it, you're making sure betting shops ask for ID?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jack93o)
    I still don't get it, you're making sure betting shops ask for ID?
    Yeah.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah.
    oh I see, you work for some sort of authority then

well I've never betted in my life before, but I know it is possible to bet on a football team winning/drawing/losing in a match

ReputationRep:
    write it on one of their slips. then take it to the cashier with the money.

so, write something like "newcastle win vs. brighton. £2" and take it with £2 to the person. Or some places have big sheets where you mark your selections like a lottery ticket. but the normal slip works fine.

ReputationRep:

thanks!
    I've never placed a bet in my life, but I'm interested in how you came to be doing a Think 21 check and what you're getting in return.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PJ991)
    write it on one of their slips. then take it to the cashier with the money.

so, write something like "newcastle win vs. brighton. £2" and take it with £2 to the person. Or some places have big sheets where you mark your selections like a lottery ticket. but the normal slip works fine.
    Thanks! I'll go along and see how it goes

ReputationRep:
    I was tempted to do some of these, decided against it as a) I wouldn't have the first clue on how to bet and so would stick out like a sore thumb, and b) They lowered the fee to one it wasn't worth travelling about for just as I joined. How did it go?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JezzasMadhouse)
    I was tempted to do some of these, decided against it as a) I wouldn't have the first clue on how to bet and so would stick out like a sore thumb, and b) They lowered the fee to one it wasn't worth travelling about for just as I joined. How did it go?
    It went fine. I didn't feel like I stuck out that much. I didn't know how to use the gaming machine though. I just wildly pressed buttons.
    I won my bet though

ReputationRep:
    its easy, I see people do it all the time you just say something like "alright guvnor can I slap a monkey each way double reverse on the 3-4-5 shot in the 4:73 at newscott, and one for yourself"

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.