Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I looked through the websites of several universities such as (Nottingham, Manchester, Sheffield and Edinburgh etc). These are my choices in the future.
    I'm currently doing A-level (Product Design, Maths, Physics, Economics)

I saw that they have different requirements for portfolio (some require 4 pages, some 10-15 pages etc.) Then do I need to prepare a portfolio for each university or I just make one?

Another question is what sort of things should I put in my portfolio for applying those Unis above. What are they looking for inside my portfolio?

How do I send the portfolio and personal statement to the Uni?

ReputationRep:
    You'll have to prepare different portfolios depending on the universities requirements. When I applied, I just had all of my A-Level art in.

You have to apply via UCAS. This is where you fill out your personal statement and other details...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SashaZoe)
    You'll have to prepare different portfolios depending on the universities requirements. When I applied, I just had all of my A-Level art in.

You have to apply via UCAS. This is where you fill out your personal statement and other details...
    Do you think I can use my Product Design coursework portfolio for UCAS?
    I know that Art portfolio have variety of artwork which meets the requirement. However, a product design portfolio is all about the process of developing or improving a product. There are no photography and painting etc.

ReputationRep:
    Definitely, you can put anything into your portfolio, universities will understand that you will not having anything specifically architecture related at this point, they just want to be able too see your potential, so you can put anything design based, or creative in there.
    Your product design work that you've done sounds perfect, they'll like to see your ability to analysis products and then the way in which you decide to improve on them. These are transferable skills.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks a lot, which uni are you in architecture ? I considering Sheffield, Manchester and Nottingham etc. I would like to know more about what's it like. (Teachers, teaching, less free time)

ReputationRep:
    I am in a similar situation and i study Product design and most of my work is based on doing drawing on designs and developing and making models out them. Could i just include them in my portfolio?

ReputationRep:
    For me, when it came to submitting the portfolio of work (digitally) the University contacted me outside of UCAS and I uploaded it to a private database owned by the University.

A Personal Statement? I'm assuming this is the one you should have already written when applying to the universities via UCAS. Though they may have asked for another/more specific statement? I didn't need to send another once the UCAS stage passed.

Regarding portfolio work, from my experience they are not too picky, a lot of the time they'll see something in your work you probably don't. It doesn't have to be about buildings- unless specified. Creative stuff, perhaps something off the beaten path, try and convey a message visually. Visual communication is a big part of architecture. Maybe drawings showing use of; Isometric, Line Weights, Section(s), Exploded Views- these don't have to be architecturally related but show them you have some drawing skill. You study product design, I imagine you've used some of these already.

Good Luck!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.