Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello,
    I am an undergrad student in the US and will most likely choose to pursue my graduate degree abroad. There are three programs in three different schools that I have my eyes set on. I have been doing a lot of research but as I live in the States I don’t know much about these schools, their reputations, or individual experiences there. I am looking to get into the career field of Media, PR, or Advertising. The three schools and their respective programs are:

~LSE/USC- Dual Degree in Global Media/Global Communications
    Obviously, you guys know about LSE. For those of you who are unfamiliar with USC, it is a prestigious school here in the States located in Los Angles, CA. It is just a step below Ivies and is considered amongst many to be the West Coast equivalent of NYU. I would spend a year in each city and earn a Masters from each school.

~Lund University/University of Stirling- Dual Degree in Strategic Public Relations
    Lund is in Sweden, Stirling is in Scotland. Would spend one semester in Scotland, semesters two and three in Sweden and the last semester in a different country. Earning degrees from both unis.

~De Montfort University- MSc in Advertising & Public Relations Management

Located in Leicester, UK. Would earn a single degree. Also important to note this is the only one out of the three that is a one year program. Meaning it would be cheaper and faster. Though that is definitely not what is most important, it is a factor.

Ok so here is where I am running into difficulties:

LSE/USC- I think it is the better program, though I am not sure how the reputation stacks against these the other schools (this is where I need your help). Regardless, clearly an excellent choice. Both schools are highly regarded in their respective countries. I’m not sure how you guys view USC overseas but in the US, though the average citizen may not have heard of LSE top employers have. Located in top cities: London and Los Angeles, can I say more? I have lived in CA, meaning to return and have always wanted to live in London. Win-Win. The internship opportunities I earn would be amazing. Also, unlike the other schools this program seems to actively place students in internships ensuring that they get a good one, instead of just leaving students up to their own resources hoping they will get one that will be worth their time. USC has good connections in LA which is a huge Media spot. I don’t know much about LSE or London but I am guessing LSE is well connected to the city too? Seems like the perfect program, HOWEVER: I am really not thrilled with the degree coursework. I have little interest in Global Communication. It will help me get a job in the Media, PR, and/or Advertising just because most consider these fields fall under the discipline of 'Communication' and professionals often transfer between these fields but the specific coursework for this program is very general. At grad school my goal is to gain specialized knowledge. Learning about campaigning, press releases and things like that. To me, this is essential in a Comm program. I know Comm programs are usually pretty general but they at least have some Ad or PR coursework, this one has none. It is more theoretical than practical, I think.

As I said, due to the prestige and connections USC and I am assuming LSE has, I dont think I'd be hard pessed to find a job but still, I want to be paying for an education that I feel will best prepare me. As it is right now, I think I'd just be paying for a name and connections. I know connections and networking are sometimes more important when getting a job than anything else but I do like learning and am excited to learn about Advertising essentials since this is what I am interested career-wise. I dont feel this degree will teach me that. This bothers me.

This is also the most expensive program located in two of the most expensive cities in the world. Though in the end money would not be the deciding factor as I am willing to take on a good amount of loans for a good education. Some days I think a program like this offering significant career opportunities in both LA and London is one of the times a big loan is justified....

Lund/Stirling- Again, having the opportunity to study in two countries is invaluable. As you might have already noticed I like to travel and meet new people. I think pursuing graduate studies in different countries is a great way to network and open yourself up to opportunities that would not have been available otherwise. I have done a little research myself, but one can only tell so much from random rankings and articles on the internet. Can I get some personal opinions on these schools? I hear they are not bad. I have also reviewed the course work and it is right on target for what I want to do. But how are job opportunities in these countries? Are there big companies there? Would an internship in Scotland or Sweden mean anything in the international job market??

De Montfort- I feel I am going to be swayed against this one because it does not seem to be very prestigious but again, I don’t know much and would like personal opinions. To my knowledge it is kind of in the middle of nowhere and very far from London. I’m not sure what good any internships in this area would do me in the long run. I just really like their program. Advertising & Public Relation management—could not get anymore perfect. It is hard finding one that focuses on both. If anything you usually see a Public Relations degree with a tiny bit of Marketing in the coursework. But in any case, I am not one for Marketing and prefer Advertising. It is great that both Advertising and Public Relations are the focal points. It is not just a Public Relations degree with some Advertising coursework.

Any thoughts??? Please help me out lol!
    I know its long, but you would help me so much!! Thanks in advance!

ReputationRep:
    I would also like to throw University of Manchester's Corporate Communication and Reputation Management Program in there. It is an MSc which can be completed in one year. This is also one that is appealing to me but the location is not. I hear mixed things about Manchester.

ReputationRep:
    I also got the conditional offer of MSc Corporate Communication andReputation Management Program in MBS. My first choice is to apply for Marketing which was turned downed sadly. CCRM is the second choice for me to study in MBS. I really appreciate the reputation of MBS but I worry about if the course is good or not. Can anyone help me with more information about this master course as well as the Manchester city itself? Thanks so much

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MidnightGarden)
    Hello,
    I am an undergrad student in the US and will most likely choose to pursue my graduate degree abroad. There are three programs in three different schools that I have my eyes set on. I have been doing a lot of research but as I live in the States I don’t know much about these schools, their reputations, or individual experiences there. I am looking to get into the career field of Media, PR, or Advertising. The three schools and their respective programs are:

~LSE/USC- Dual Degree in Global Media/Global Communications
    Obviously, you guys know about LSE. For those of you who are unfamiliar with USC, it is a prestigious school here in the States located in Los Angles, CA. It is just a step below Ivies and is considered amongst many to be the West Coast equivalent of NYU. I would spend a year in each city and earn a Masters from each school.

~Lund University/University of Stirling- Dual Degree in Strategic Public Relations
    Lund is in Sweden, Stirling is in Scotland. Would spend one semester in Scotland, semesters two and three in Sweden and the last semester in a different country. Earning degrees from both unis.

~De Montfort University- MSc in Advertising & Public Relations Management

Located in Leicester, UK. Would earn a single degree. Also important to note this is the only one out of the three that is a one year program. Meaning it would be cheaper and faster. Though that is definitely not what is most important, it is a factor.

Ok so here is where I am running into difficulties:

LSE/USC- I think it is the better program, though I am not sure how the reputation stacks against these the other schools (this is where I need your help). Regardless, clearly an excellent choice. Both schools are highly regarded in their respective countries. I’m not sure how you guys view USC overseas but in the US, though the average citizen may not have heard of LSE top employers have. Located in top cities: London and Los Angeles, can I say more? I have lived in CA, meaning to return and have always wanted to live in London. Win-Win. The internship opportunities I earn would be amazing. Also, unlike the other schools this program seems to actively place students in internships ensuring that they get a good one, instead of just leaving students up to their own resources hoping they will get one that will be worth their time. USC has good connections in LA which is a huge Media spot. I don’t know much about LSE or London but I am guessing LSE is well connected to the city too? Seems like the perfect program, HOWEVER: I am really not thrilled with the degree coursework. I have little interest in Global Communication. It will help me get a job in the Media, PR, and/or Advertising just because most consider these fields fall under the discipline of 'Communication' and professionals often transfer between these fields but the specific coursework for this program is very general. At grad school my goal is to gain specialized knowledge. Learning about campaigning, press releases and things like that. To me, this is essential in a Comm program. I know Comm programs are usually pretty general but they at least have some Ad or PR coursework, this one has none. It is more theoretical than practical, I think.

As I said, due to the prestige and connections USC and I am assuming LSE has, I dont think I'd be hard pessed to find a job but still, I want to be paying for an education that I feel will best prepare me. As it is right now, I think I'd just be paying for a name and connections. I know connections and networking are sometimes more important when getting a job than anything else but I do like learning and am excited to learn about Advertising essentials since this is what I am interested career-wise. I dont feel this degree will teach me that. This bothers me.

This is also the most expensive program located in two of the most expensive cities in the world. Though in the end money would not be the deciding factor as I am willing to take on a good amount of loans for a good education. Some days I think a program like this offering significant career opportunities in both LA and London is one of the times a big loan is justified....

Lund/Stirling- Again, having the opportunity to study in two countries is invaluable. As you might have already noticed I like to travel and meet new people. I think pursuing graduate studies in different countries is a great way to network and open yourself up to opportunities that would not have been available otherwise. I have done a little research myself, but one can only tell so much from random rankings and articles on the internet. Can I get some personal opinions on these schools? I hear they are not bad. I have also reviewed the course work and it is right on target for what I want to do. But how are job opportunities in these countries? Are there big companies there? Would an internship in Scotland or Sweden mean anything in the international job market??

De Montfort- I feel I am going to be swayed against this one because it does not seem to be very prestigious but again, I don’t know much and would like personal opinions. To my knowledge it is kind of in the middle of nowhere and very far from London. I’m not sure what good any internships in this area would do me in the long run. I just really like their program. Advertising & Public Relation management—could not get anymore perfect. It is hard finding one that focuses on both. If anything you usually see a Public Relations degree with a tiny bit of Marketing in the coursework. But in any case, I am not one for Marketing and prefer Advertising. It is great that both Advertising and Public Relations are the focal points. It is not just a Public Relations degree with some Advertising coursework.

Any thoughts??? Please help me out lol!
    I know its long, but you would help me so much!! Thanks in advance!
    Before starting, what do you plan to do afterwards? PhD? Career straight-after? Where?

Then, I am not in the same field as you... So I will not say much about specific subject reputation (I could only look at rankings to do so).

LSE+USC seems to be the top program, at least in terms of reputation of both schools. Since you are American I also see another advantage. If you ever want to go back to the US after your masters, you will have also an American degree (which might help?). In terms of USC reputation in Europe... Well it will depend on the specific subject I guess... For me... I know it is a good school in the US, but not one of the famous names. Guess this happens also because other universities in Calif tend to "get most of the recognition" (UCLA, Berkeley, UCSD, Stanford). I do expect many people in Europe never having heard of USC (but I might be wrong). Good this is however that in Europe they will know LSE, and in the US USC... You get something from both sides of the Atlantic. On the negative side... The costs for this program will certainly be very high. At least during your London year: London is very expensive.

Lund+Stirling. I cannot help you much about Stirling. I know a little more about Lund. It is certainly a very good university (one of the top unis in Scandinavia), well-regarded in Europe. I also think in terms of overall experience, for one American, this would be an interesting course (you get to live both in Scotland and in a Scandinavian country).

De Montfort: sorry I really have no idea about this uni. But again, I am not studying media, so...

Manchester: generally a very well-regarded university (both in the UK and in Europe). Moreover I know is internationally one of the top rated among employers, at least from employers surveys and rankings (ahead of Ivies). About the city... Yes, much depends on personal taste. Some love it, some don't like it at all (but this is somehow true about most cities). Also remember that you will need to spend much time at university or in the library... And in the weekends you can always take the train and travel a little bit across the UK (and Europe, since there is an important airport in Manchester). However, the MSc seems a little bit different from the others you mentioned. Do you like the program?

If you would like to look at some more programs, I know there are masters in public relations also at Aarhus University (Denmark) and Cardiff.

Much depends on the programs and how you like them. Masters cost, and you do not want to waste money on a program you don't like.

ReputationRep:
    Stirling doesn't have a very good reputation. I think the USC programme is best, you really can't compare London and Stirling for career opportunities, networking, or just the ability to experience a country. If you want to go somewhere, go to London. Don't even think about someone as remote as Stirling.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.