Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm a fresher studying Accountancy & Finance and I have started researching for internships/placements/jobs for next year and after graduation.

Right now I'm averaging about 77% and I have a good set of GCSEs - it's my A Levels that I've royally messed up. I'm starting to get incredibly worried that I will not be able to get any of the opportunities above because of them. Most places (Most ask for a minimum of 300 UCAS points and I only have 280 from my 3 A Levels, 380 if AS's are taken into account as some don't specify whether the points should only come from the best 3 A Levels or not).

One of the A Levels I took was Biology, which was 4 UMS off a B (would have been a mid B had the teacher not messed up my final ISA marks, but I was back home in China during the summer holidays and there wasn't anything I could do)

So my dilemma is should I retake it as an independent candidate? My grades were decent in most of the units so would it be possible to just retake certain units?

Has anyone ever done this before and how did you go about doing this?

ReputationRep:
    IMO For the time being focus on your degree. You may find that a good degree could override your lower UCAS points. If you find your A Levels to be a problem after you graduate, you could always do another A Level at that point. But doing one now might result in you not performing as well with your degree, and be counter productive. Maybe consider doing a new A Level subject after you graduate (for example, an A Level related to your current degree, which should allow you to get a pretty good grade, lol).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Evanesyne)
    I'm a fresher studying Accountancy & Finance and I have started researching for internships/placements/jobs for next year and after graduation.

Right now I'm averaging about 77% and I have a good set of GCSEs - it's my A Levels that I've royally messed up. I'm starting to get incredibly worried that I will not be able to get any of the opportunities above because of them. Most places (Most ask for a minimum of 300 UCAS points and I only have 280 from my 3 A Levels, 380 if AS's are taken into account as some don't specify whether the points should only come from the best 3 A Levels or not).

One of the A Levels I took was Biology, which was 4 UMS off a B (would have been a mid B had the teacher not messed up my final ISA marks, but I was back home in China during the summer holidays and there wasn't anything I could do)

So my dilemma is should I retake it as an independent candidate? My grades were decent in most of the units so would it be possible to just retake certain units?
    If you completed A levels in 2009 or earlier then there is nothing you can do as the specification has changed. If you completed A levels in 2010 then it is possible to re-sit any or all of the units in order to try and improve the grade. Re-sitting the ISAs as a private candidate is very difficult and tends to be very expensive but the normal examined units aren't too difficult to achieve, you just need to find an exam centre willing to accept you as a private candidate and sort it out through them. AQA provides advice (http://web.aqa.org.uk/exams-office/e...ates.php?id=01) but does not deal directly with candidates.

That said, you would probably be better off maximising your degree.

ReputationRep:
    Hi, just like another poster has said, I think you should focus on your degree more than anything. Your A Levels are important of course, but it is your degree that will be most looked upon by employers. If you obtain good grades at uni, you probably won't need to worry about your A Levels.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.