Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

More questions for current PGCE students Watch

• View Poll Results: Do you have a car to get to your placement schools?
    Yes
    80.00%
    No
    20.00%

ReputationRep:
    For current PGCE students:

Do you have a car in order to get to placements?
    And when did you find out the location of your placements?

I'm in a bit of a pickle at the moment because I've been told it's almost certain I'll need a car, yet I'm worrying about how I will afford one :/ Has anyone else experienced this?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lit2010)

I'm in a bit of a pickle at the moment because I've been told it's almost certain I'll need a car, yet I'm worrying about how I will afford one :/ Has anyone else experienced this?
    I already had a car, and commute further to get to the university than I do to my first placement school.

I found out my first placement school around 4th October, I think, and had my first induction day in school on 15th October (though didn't start placement properly 'til 5th November). So it was quite a short time between them.

It would be impossible for me to get to my school without a car - although it's not that far, it's very rural, and by public transport it's literally 2 hours each way - but the university knew I had a car so probably placed me accordingly. People who live near the university and don't have cars mostly seem to have city schools which they can get to by bus.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lit2010)

They may take into consideration that you don't have a car, but only in that you may get placed at a school that's got decent transport links, or place you there with someone who could give you a lift.

I was placed in one school that was a 45-60 minute journey on 2 buses, and another that was an hour with a lift in the car or about 1.5 hours on the train. (But both better suited to me than any that would have been close by!)

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad app

ReputationRep:
    Just posting so I remember to watch this thread. I'm a little worried as I won't be able to drive. I've tried driving lessons on several occasions and both times it initiated bad anxiety, so no driving for me

ReputationRep:
    I can't afford a car. My partner takes his to work so I commute on the train or bus. It's expensive! On my placement 2 it's a 1 hour bus ride so not bad at all. I spend longer getting to placement 1 just because the service is infrequent. I have driven on a few occasions and its only 25 mins.

I haven't found it too hard, in fact I enjoy my morning coffee and newspaper and just time to chill.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.