Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Calculating X - Moles Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I don't understand the part where it says moles of cl2 is half that of cl, i've highlighted what I'm confused on, thanks
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by raiden95)
    I don't understand the part where it says moles of cl2 is half that of cl, i've highlighted what I'm confused on, thanks
    you have found that there are 0.06 moles of chloride ion (Cl- ). A group two chloride has a formula of MCl2 - meaning it has two chloride ions. So your moles of MCl2 must be half the moles of chloride, ie 0.03

To put it another way, each mole of metal chloride contains 2 chloride ions. So if you have a total of 0.06 moles of chloride ions, you must have 0.03 moles of metal chloride.

ok?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Plato's Trousers)
    you have found that there are 0.06 moles of chloride ion (Cl- ). A group two chloride has a formula of MCl2 - meaning it has two chloride ions. So your moles of MCl2 must be half the moles of chloride, ie 0.03

To put it another way, each mole of metal chloride contains 2 chloride ions. So if you have a total of 0.06 moles of chloride ions, you must have 0.03 moles of metal chloride.

ok?
    So two chloride ions means less moles, thats confusing:confused:

ReputationRep:
    how is it confusing? A car needs four tyres. If I have eight tyres, how many cars can I equip? Fewer cars than eight. Obvious, surely?
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    If you don't mind me asking, which app are you using?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zed963)
    If you don't mind me asking, which app are you using?
    Notability, its an iPad app

ReputationRep:

ok?
    but Cl- is one ion so if I'm looking for MCl2 then wouldn't I want to times 0.06 by 2 rather than divide it? I know I'm wrong but do you know where I'm coming from?
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Notability, its an iPad app
    Damn!

ReputationRep:

(Original post by Alia223)
    but Cl- is one ion so if I'm looking for MCl2 then wouldn't I want to times 0.06 by 2 rather than divide it? I know I'm wrong but do you know where I'm coming from?
    You know you have 0.06 moles of chloride. How many moles of MCl2 can you make from that? Half as many - because each MCl2 needs two chlorides.

Is this any clearer?
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    Damn!
    A very neat app for organising
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    You know you have 0.06 moles of chloride. How many moles of MCl2 can you make from that? Half as many - because each MCl2 needs two chlorides.

Is this any clearer?
    OK I get the diagram, now can you help me understand the question using that diagram please!! =/

ReputationRep:

Is this any clearer?
    This is starting to make sense! Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alia223)
    OK I get the diagram, now can you help me understand the question using that diagram please!! =/
    ok, so you were asked to calculate how many moles of chloride you had. You found there were 0.06 moles of chloride ions. Do you agree?

These chloride ions came from dissolving a group 2 metal chloride. Agreed?

The forumula of a group 2 metal chloride is MCl2. Agreed?

So each mole of metal chloride will produce two moles of chloride ions. Agreed?

Therefore you must have had 0.03 moles of the metal chloride to start with (because 0.03 times 2 is 0.06). Agreed?
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    A very neat app for organising
    Are there any apps for an iPhone? Is it worth investing in an iPad for sixth form or shall I just get a normal laptop?

ReputationRep:
    Are there any apps for an iPhone? Is it worth investing in an iPad for sixth form or shall I just get a normal laptop?
    I have not used a laptop in a very long time, my ipad is very useful also saves a lot more time, easier to screenshot and save etc also takes up very little space, its your call

I don't think this app is available on iphone because of the screen size

ReputationRep:
    ok, so you were asked to calculate how many moles of chloride you had. You found there were 0.06 moles of chloride ions. Do you agree?

These chloride ions came from dissolving a group 2 metal chloride. Agreed?

The forumula of a group 2 metal chloride is MCl2. Agreed?

So each mole of metal chloride will produce two moles of chloride ions. Agreed?

Therefore you must have had 0.03 moles of the metal chloride to start with (because 0.03 times 2 is 0.06). Agreed?
    Wow you're amazing, thank you!!!

ReputationRep:

I have not used a laptop in a very long time, my ipad is very useful also saves a lot more time, easier to screenshot and save etc also takes up very little space, its your call

I don't think this app is available on iphone because of the screen size
    guys - this is a thread about chemistry. Can you please discuss this offline? Thanks

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.