Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Would You Be Proud of A 2.2 Degree? If you had tried your best?

ReputationRep:
    Nope, I'd feel that I could have always done better.

ReputationRep:
    I could try and say some middle-ground statement that is received favourably from the TSR population, but in all honesty... no.

A 1st is for the true high-fliers, a 2.1 is for those who worked hard and knew their stuff, but a 2.2 is too low to be attributed to a 'bad year', and at university we should rise to the occasion and perform as our degree expects, regardless of its difficulty (or lack thereof).

ReputationRep:
    Not really, my thought reflect the above posters entirely -- I would always think that I could do better. Not to mention, if I were to want to do a masters at a better university, I would usually require a 2.1 (considering the universities I have in mind + what I possibly think I'll be going to).

ReputationRep:
    Depends how you get your 2:2 really. I was on for a first until my dissertation, its just something I'm not good at and I scraped 40% but it equated for 50% of my marks, the rest I got 72% average so ended up with an overall average of 56%. To say I didnt know my stuff would be a lie but I am still proud of my 2:2 and I'm doing well for myself so yes I think you should be proud.

ReputationRep:
    And dont you hate the occasion when you're in the middle of an exam and there's a question that when revising,you briefly looked at through your book - you suddenly start cursing yourself for not reading what was on the page and you start having mental flashbacks of the time when you were carelessly flicking through the pages? Or maybe that's just me.

ReputationRep:
    How exactly do they work? What decides if you get a 1st or a 2:1 or 2:2.

Btw medical school doesnt have these right?

ReputationRep:
    I think it really depends on the degree subject. I'd be more impressed by someone with a 2:2 in a maths/science related subject than an arts subject. I think that's just my personal view, though. Studying English, I know that getting a 2:1 isn't really too hard if you're willing to put the hours in. People will often get a 2:2 for an individual piece of work, but I don't think many get a 2:2 over all; I think it's around 8% or something low like that.

ReputationRep:
    If I had genuinely tried my best, then yes I would be proud of it. But I know that my best will always be better than a 2.2 (unless there were extenuating circumstances) so I would be pretty disappointed I think.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kinglynx)
    How exactly do they work? What decides if you get a 1st or a 2:1 or 2:2.
    How good your answers in exams/coursework are determines what grade you get, in the same way as it determined what GCSE or A-level grade you get.

Btw medical school doesnt have these right?
    I assume they would but not really sure!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rascacielos)
    How good your answers in exams/coursework are determines what grade you get, in the same way as it determined what GCSE or A-level grade you get.

I assume they would but not really sure!
    Sorry i meant, is it over all academic performance or just end of year exams?
    Like GCSE and GCE are (for unmodular) all end of year exams that you take, your midterm/topic/mock tests have no bearing on your final grade.

ReputationRep:
    If it's the best you could achieve, yes but don't brag about it.

ReputationRep:
    Yes I think you should be. You can still get a decent job with a 2:2, although it rules you out of the running for other things. To get a 1st or even a 2:1 at a say...Top 20 university is difficult. If you've tried your best and given it your all, you can walk away and hold your head up.

But for me, I'd believe I can be the best. I'd be looking at a high 2:1 minimum to be pleased, ideally I'd be looking for a First.

ReputationRep:
    I think it depends on the person. I personally wouldn't be, I know I can do better than that and I'm on course to get a 2.1, but, and I know this sounds silly, I think I may be slightly disappointed with a 2.1. I was predicted a first at the end of second year and there is still a small chance to get one but my time management and concentration has been truly **** throughout most of uni. I haven't put the effort in and that means I can't get as good a classification as I'm capable of aiming for.

But if I had put all the effort in and worked hard and still came out with a 2.1 then I would be happy. I suppose it comes down to knowing that you have done as best as you can and worked hard to earn that 2.2. You should be proud of your achievements if you work hard for them.

ReputationRep:
    A 2.2 is rubbish, 2.2 are for people who do not work. One should aim for at least 80%.

Most jobs asks for a 2.1 minimum. So no point being proud without a job.

I am doing 5 year degree and need 43% in my final year to get a first... just saying.

Haters keep hating. I shall enjoy my first class honours in structural engineering. Boo yeah bumba clots. I also have a graduate job which pays £40k... just saying.

Work hard... play hard... be rich.

ReputationRep:
    Sorry i meant, is it over all academic performance or just end of year exams?
    Like GCSE and GCE are (for unmodular) all end of year exams that you take, your midterm/topic/mock tests have no bearing on your final grade.
    It really depends on the course. For my course, it's assessed through a written submission and a final exam. For some of my friend's courses, they do a test every month or so which counts towards their final grade, usually as well as an exam.

ReputationRep:
    If a 2.2 was near the peak of my potential for which I had to work hard and it would get my where I want to go then of course I would be proud.

Achievement is completely relative to goals and ability.

For me personally, no I wouldn't. I know I am capable of performing better than a 2.2 and I need at the minimum a mid-ranged 2.1 to do what I want at the next step.

ReputationRep:
    depends on what course it was for and which university and how I was finding the course itself. If I found it really hard then I may just be happy to pass, but if it was easy/manageable then I'd be disappointed probably.

ReputationRep:
    If I spent 3/4/5 years at uni working my ass off for a degree and only getting 2.2, it'd feel like a waste of time and honestly would not be proud.

ReputationRep:
    seems a bit negative...

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.