Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    This depends on a range of factors related to the individual and course.

If you can honestly say to yourself that you gave your best effort for each assessment then a 2:2 is a good achievement and reflection of your ability. I feel however you know you can do better.

From my point of view - no a 2:2 would not reflect the time/effort/commitment I have made to my studies or the ability I have. To put it bluntly for me if I do not achieve a minimum of a 2:1 I will be severely disappointed in myself - but at the end of the day I will only have myself to blame. I know what I need to do and get to achieve what I want so it lies solely in my hands.

ReputationRep:
    it just seems to me that people treat a 2.2 like the end of the world.....oh i'll never get a job!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mrx123)
    seems a bit negative...
    I have nothing against / don't look down on people who get 2.2s, but PERSONALLY if I knew I put the time and effort in and only managed 2.2 then I would be a bit disappointed with myself.

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't be ashamed of it. And still less if it were from a good university/respectable course and I had extra-curricular activities I could point to (and as well extra-curricular activities I perhaps shouldn't want drawn to wide attention).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sharp910sh)
    A 2.2 is rubbish, 2.2 are for people who do not work. One should aim for at least 80%.

Most jobs asks for a 2.1 minimum. So no point being proud without a job.

I am doing 5 year degree and need 58% in my final year to get a first... just saying.
    A friend of mine needs 30% to get a first on a 4 year masters, but he doesn't rub it in.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rascacielos)
    It really depends on the course. For my course, it's assessed through a written submission and a final exam. For some of my friend's courses, they do a test every month or so which counts towards their final grade, usually as well as an exam.
    ooooo i see

ReputationRep:
    2:2s are not all the same.

A 2:2 in physics at Oxford is much much harder to achieve than a 2:2 in Business Management at London Met. I know clever people who worked really hard and got 2:2s in physics. Pretty sad.

I wouldn't now because I've performed better than that in the first two years of my degree and would be disappointed if I let my standards slip.

ReputationRep:
      If it was a 2.2 from oxford I would be fine with it considering I tried my best, If it was a 2.2 from somewhere remotely average then I would be v. disappointed.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by kinglynx)
      How exactly do they work? What decides if you get a 1st or a 2:1 or 2:2.

Btw medical school doesnt have these right?
      No medicine has either pass or a fail, at most medical schools above 60% is a pass andd below a fail.
      And for other subjects 70-79 is a first class (A), 80-89 is first class (A+) and 90+ is first class (A++)
      60-69 is 2:1
      50-59 is 2:2
      40-49 is just a normal degree
      below 40 is a fail

All in percent

ReputationRep:
      Nope, I need at least a 2.i. I'd be gutted if i didn't get a 2.i. A 1st would be nice, not sure if I am capable of it though.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by hihihihihi)
      No medicine has either pass or a fail, at most medical schools above 60% is a pass andd below a fail.
      And for other subjects 70-79 is a first class (A), 80-89 is first class (A+) and 90+ is first class (A++)
      60-69 is 2:1
      50-59 is 2:2
      40-49 is just a normal degree
      below 40 is a fail

All in percent
      This raises two questions

1) So when you get your certificate can you get a 1:1 A, a 1:1 A+ or a 1:1 A++ ?
      2) In medical school is pass dictated by class average? Meaning a certain percentage of the cohort must fail, some must pass etc?

ReputationRep:
      I don't see why you wouldn't be proud. The achievements of getting a 2:2 degree are:

1) Putting up with college, and getting good results to be accepted into a University.

2) Living for 3-4 years without much money, but putting in more hours than those who DO get money.

3) Focusing on one topic, writing essays, etc all about one subject, for what works out as almost 1/5 of your life.

4) Amassing debt to try and further your understanding of a subject.

The only thing not to be pleased with is that some people did better than you... but what does that really mean? If you always compare yourself to other people then only a small percentage of people in the world will be happy.

If you think you did a lot to achieve the 2:2, then be proud. If you think you shouldn't be proud because you should have done more, then remember that when you approach tasks in future.

ReputationRep:
      I'm never proud of myself unless I've done the best it's possible to do. I won't be proud of a 2.i.
      • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
      I'm still quite bitter that circumstances prevented me from getting my 2.1. That said, over the last few years I have grown to accept and even be proud of my 2.2, especially given the situation I was in at the time

ReputationRep:
      Your degree classification means nothing. It does to stuffy old HR people when you're trying to find your way, that's about it.

In reality, when you come to find a job, if you're a hard worker and have an ounce of personality, you'll get on in life no matter what field you're in.

Loads of successful people (granted, we all have different benchmarks for success) have Desmonds or lower. Don't aim for one, aim high, but it's not the end of the world, it's just the start.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by PINKFLEUR)
      And dont you hate the occasion when you're in the middle of an exam and there's a question that when revising,you briefly looked at through your book - you suddenly start cursing yourself for not reading what was on the page and you start having mental flashbacks of the time when you were carelessly flicking through the pages? Or maybe that's just me.
      That is my greatest nightmare!

I'd rather know absolutely nothing about the question and be completely clueless than to remember seeing a few sentences but not have any valid recollection of what they were about.

ReputationRep:
      If I'd tried my best, then I'd be content. I wouldn't be "happy" though.

(Original post by 3nTr0pY)
      2:2s are not all the same.

A 2:2 in physics at Oxford is much much harder to achieve than a 2:2 in Business Management at London Met. I know clever people who worked really hard and got 2:2s in physics. Pretty sad.
      Also, this.

ReputationRep:
      No, i wanted a 2.1 and thought id get it as i tried my best.
      It came to a point where i was so stressed and nervous i said id be happy with a 3rd, so results day i was relieved but not happy with my 2.2

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
      I was upset with mine

1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.