Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LexiswasmyNexis)
    But, yes, they knew what they were letting themselves in for.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    That's a popular misconception. There is no way of envisaging the workload until you're actually there and it's thrown at you :nah:

ReputationRep:
    no

ReputationRep:
    Not proud no, but I've just handed in my dissertation, if it ends up getting a 3rd for what ever reason and thus drags me down to a 2:2, I wouldn't be disappointed in myself as I feel I did the best I could on it, but I'd have wanted a 2:1.

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't be because I've been predicted a 2:1 up til now - I think I'd be more upset about what it entails i.e. less impressive for job and university applications.

When my Dad was at university he said everyone got 2:2s because you could get a job with it and if you went into academia then you aimed higher! That said nowhere near as many people went to university back then...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rascacielos)
    How good your answers in exams/coursework are determines what grade you get, in the same way as it determined what GCSE or A-level grade you get.

I assume they would but not really sure!
    I only get a fail, a pass or a pass with honours for my degree. It's a bit weird but pretty much everywhere for med does it.

ReputationRep:
    This really depends on how you feel about it...if you know that you've tried your hardest and there was nothing more you could have done then you should be proud of what you've accomplished, having a degree in the first place is a huge achievement.

I personally wouldn't be happy because I know from my grades up until now (just about to graduate after four years with and MEng in general engineering) I can do better than that and am sincerely hoping for a first.

However my partner graduated with a 2:2 last year and has got a great job (she will actually be earning more than me when I start my new job in september lol ;P) and it hasn't held her back at all, she knows she did her best and doesn't regret a thing.

So the moral is work hard and there's nothing more anyone can ask of you!

ReputationRep:
    Yes and No. Yes because I know I worked hard to pass my degree and that I couldn't of done anymore than my very best. And no because I've heard most employers look for employee candidates with a 2:1 or a 1st, so a 2:2 would hold back my job prospects, also my dad got a 3rd when he went and my mum got a 2:2 when she did her degree with the OU, so I've placed a fair amount of pressure on myself to achieve a 2:1 by the time I graduate in a couple of years time (I'm nearly at the end of my first year when my grades don't really count for much apart from the ability to pass first year and move onto second)

ReputationRep:
    Yes I'm very proud of my 2:2 I worked my hardest and achieved what i feel I deserved I couldn't have done any more so yes I'm happy with it and very proud of it.

I actually feel if I'd got a first or 2:1 i wouldn't feel I deserve it.

ReputationRep:
    I got 77% in my structural engineering degree. Highest in the class. Simple.

ReputationRep:
    There were many points during my degree where I honestly believed that a 2:2 would be the best thing in the entire world.. but I got myself together for my dissertation/finals and managed a 2:1. I don't think I would have been happy with a 2:2 but I have some friends who had to work incredibly hard for theirs, so they're over the moon.

ReputationRep:
    I spent 95% of the third year thinking that I would get a 2:2. It was only after I finished that I found that I had some good grades in late marked modules that got me 65% and a 2:1 overall.

I got to the stage where I would have been proud with a 2:2. I put in hours and hours of work to get substandard grades back.At first it was confidence knocking to get 2:2 marks back but I realised that I couldn't improve on these. I wasn't the proudest person in the world but was happy with what I achieved. When I got the 2:1 I was ecstatic.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kinglynx)
    How exactly do they work? What decides if you get a 1st or a 2:1 or 2:2.

Btw medical school doesnt have these right?
    Medical and dental schools take the view that you are either good enough to be a dentist/doctor or not, so we just have passes.

However you can pass with clinical and/or academic honors (which means you excelled in clinical and/or academic parts of the course respectively)

ReputationRep:
    i would kill myself if i spend £60000 then got a 2.2 after 3/4 years

ReputationRep:
    I wonder how the responses of people who haven't graduated differ from those who have, given that the latter are likely to be friends with people who did get 2.2s/thirds.

(Original post by Astarplease01)
    i would kill myself if i spend £60000 then got a 2.2 after 3/4 years
    You should see a doctor.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sharp910sh)
    A 2.2 is rubbish, 2.2 are for people who do not work. One should aim for at least 80%.

Most jobs asks for a 2.1 minimum. So no point being proud without a job.

I am doing 5 year degree and need 43% in my final year to get a first... just saying.

Haters keep hating. I shall enjoy my first class honours in structural engineering. Boo yeah bumba clots. I also have a graduate job which pays £40k... just saying.

Work hard... play hard... be rich.
    Ha ha that £40k won't be enough to get a mortgage on a half decent house. Hardly rich!

About time you realized that the degree route is nothing more than a glorified party.

ReputationRep:
    Yes u passed

ReputationRep:
    Nah, I'd feel like uni was a huge waste of time, money and effort to get a grade like that. That's partly why personally I'm hesitant to go to uni; cos I know from my track record that I'm quite crap at studying and I worry I wouldn't be capable of getting more than a 2:2

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mrx123)
    Would You Be Proud of A 2.2 Degree? If you had tried your best?

In answer to your question, no.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CherryCherryBoomBoom)
    Nah, I'd feel like uni was a huge waste of time, money and effort to get a grade like that. That's partly why personally I'm hesitant to go to uni; cos I know from my track record that I'm quite crap at studying and I worry I wouldn't be capable of getting more than a 2:2
    I didn't do my best at Gcse's and did decent but not great at A-level mainly because i didn't like the environment at school (never fitted in) but graduating from uni with a 1st class degree, which shows you can do well cause i wasn't into studying either but i didn't see my own potential back at school.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SamW78)
    Ha ha that £40k won't be enough to get a mortgage on a half decent house. Hardly rich!

About time you realized that the degree route is nothing more than a glorified party.
    £40k starting salary. 5 years from now I'll be £80k. So I shall be laughing. £40k is enough to buy a house. Not everyone lives in the southeast you know.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.