The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I'd probably dig my own grave and then proceed to jumping inside it.
Reply 161
All these negative posts about people getting 2:2 is a bad thing or they would/should not be proud of themselves is utter bullcrap! I am really sorry and excuse my language but there are many people out there and they are going to read this so listen well people.

My partner is a Lawyer, he has worked for one of the top law firm in the country. He got a 2:2 at Uni when he studied Law and this guy is proud of himself. He knew he was not this academic guy but the fact that he went and tried and did his best when he could is what matters.

University is for you to improve yourself and develop. If you got a 2:2 be proud of it because at the end of the day an employer is going to hire you based on your personality, whether you have experience, whether you can do the job and how you come across to him and potentially an assessment you will have to pass but that's it. Yes he may consider what you have done it the past but what matters is the now. Believe in yourself because you can do whatever you want with your degree, be enthusiastic, happy and shake hand soft but firmly when you introduce yourself so he remembers you. ALWAYS BE PREPARED.

There's people out there that I know who have done very well without a degree.

I wasn't proud of myself, I wanted to hide it. People were shocked when I told them I got a 2:2 because they saw me working hard but what they didn't know is that I wanted a first class degree so badly that I got depressed for trying so hard, I was prone to cutting myself. That's how bad it got but I got a 2:2 in the end and guess what? I managed to get a scholarship to do a Masters.

So people out there that thing 2:2 is bad, grow up. It's just got a bit more competitive because a lot of people have gone to uni and employers have to raise their classification. Some companies out there may have the money to pay you but they can be an utter crap company.

Work experience is also another thing that truly matters, employers really value that. You need tp try and network and connect yourself to some people that have work available.

But remember it's not always about what the employer wants, what about your self development? what about the good times you had at the university? what about all the people you met?

If you leave England and you got to another country and looked for work, they could be so amazed at how you studied in England. England is a top rated country in this World, believe it or not. Even the Kardashians love it here. Don't give up, have faith in yourself.

I am now a Team Leader for a governmental program (every summer) waiting to do my masters just for my pure satisfaction, not to just impress an employer.

Just be proud, for your own sanity. You will get a job, but make sure you love that job because you will be dedicating most of your time and you don't want to do it just for the money. This is your life, you can be whatever you want to be. This also goes out to people that have 3rds, believe me, I know top rated firms that have taken 3rd classified individuals.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 162
Original post by JBalde
All these negative posts about people getting 2:2 is a bad thing or they would/should not be proud of themselves is utter bullcrap I am really sorry and excuse my language but there are many people out there and they are going to read this so listen well people. My partner is a Lawyer. He got a 2:2 at Uni when he studied Law and this guy is proud of himself. He knew he was not this academic guy but the fact that he went and tried and did his best when he could is what matters. University is for you to improve yourself and develop. If you got a 2:2 be proud of it because at the end of the day an employer is going to hire you based on your personality and how you come across to him, potentially an assessment you will have to pass but that's it. Yes he may consider what you have done it the past but what matters is the now. Believe in yourself because you can do whatever you want with your degree. There's people out there that I know who have done very well without a degree. I wasn't proud. In fact I wanted a 2:1 so badly but I got depressed for trying so hard, I was prone to cutting myself. That's how bad it got but I got a 2:2 and guess what? I managed to get a scholarship to do a Masters. So people, grow up. Experience is also another thing that truly matters it's not always about what the employer wants, what about your self development, what about the good times you had at the university? what about all the people you met?If you leave England and you got to another country and work, they will be so amazed at how you studied in England. Don't give up, have faith in yourself. I am now a Team Leader for a governmental program waiting to do my masters just for my pure satisfaction, not to just impress an employer.

Just be proud, for your own sanity.

This all good, and I am sincerely happy about you and your partner.
However this sounds to me like "I know somebody who knows somebody, ..."
In a lot of fields even a 2:1 is not good enough.
depends on where it's from
Reply 164
Original post by TeeEm
This all good, and I am sincerely happy about you and your partner.
However this sounds to me like "I know somebody who knows somebody, ..."
In a lot of fields even a 2:1 is not good enough.

That's not the case, I'm afraid I can't go in detail but I will be honest I grew up in a poor family, the only people I know to help were my teachers who were my references to gain a scholarship. My partner went through a lot but he never gave up.

I have updated my post, people should network as well because it helps. You said it, not even a 2:1 is enough so regardless be proud.
Reply 165
Original post by JBalde
That's not the case, I'm afraid I can't go in detail but I will be honest I grew up in a poor family, the only people I know to help were my teachers who were my references to gain a scholarship. My partner went through a lot but he never gave up.

I have updated my post, people should network as well because it helps. You said it, not even a 2:1 is enough so regardless be proud.

all the best.
Original post by sharp910sh
A 2.2 is rubbish, 2.2 are for people who do not work. One should aim for at least 80%.

Most jobs asks for a 2.1 minimum. So no point being proud without a job.

I am doing 5 year degree and need 43% in my final year to get a first... just saying.

Haters keep hating. I shall enjoy my first class honours in structural engineering. Boo yeah bumba clots. I also have a graduate job which pays £40k... just saying.

Work hard... play hard... be rich.

what uni
Yeah I would I know I tried my best and it's better than a fail also so many drop out or fail in my field I'm pretty happy with it.
Did you give your absolute best? If the answer is yes, then there's no reason for why you shouldn't be proud! If the answer is no, don't be too hard on yourself and use it as a lesson to make sure that next time you'll give it your best, regardless of what it is - a project, job, starting a business, etc.

The degree classification is not as important as people think as there are so many people with a degree these days. It's about the things you learn and the university experience, it's definitely not the end of the world. At the end of the day... a degree is a degree :smile:
Reply 169
I think I would be somewhat disappointed, however, if I were to be able to get the job I want despite this, it would be irrelevant after a few years and it wouldn't bother me so much. In my profession at least, experience and a professional qualification are much more important than academic achievements. That being said, most grad jobs do require a 2.1 or above.

To answer the question in hand though, I wouldn't be proud of a 2.2, but it doesn't mean it will hinder me a great deal to get to where I want to be.
Original post by sharp910sh
A 2.2 is rubbish, 2.2 are for people who do not work. One should aim for at least 80%.

Most jobs asks for a 2.1 minimum. So no point being proud without a job.

I am doing 5 year degree and need 43% in my final year to get a first... just saying.

Haters keep hating. I shall enjoy my first class honours in structural engineering. Boo yeah bumba clots. I also have a graduate job which pays £40k... just saying.

Work hard... play hard... be rich.

Considering how my uni went, and what I went through as well just before going and during, at this point I don't care. I just want to pass and get out
Reply 171
never
Not at all. I'm going to aim for a first class honours and work my ass off.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Riku
I would honestly be losing sleep over it for the next decade until I'd proven myself to my employer that I am

at least finish your sentence
Reply 175
I would have to accept it but be proud of a 2.2 certainly not. I think coming to university everyone knows a 2.1 is the bench mark, before I even truly understood what university entailed I knew the importance of getting a 2.1, so anything less (barring any extenuating circumstances) would be a massive disappointment. In my degree it would leave my job prospects minimal and id feel like id wasted a whole load of money.
Original post by RG14
I would have to accept it but be proud of a 2.2 certainly not. I think coming to university everyone knows a 2.1 is the bench mark, before I even truly understood what university entailed I knew the importance of getting a 2.1, so anything less (barring any extenuating circumstances) would be a massive disappointment. In my degree it would leave my job prospects minimal and id feel like id wasted a whole load of money.

Already feel I wasted money and coming here wasn't worth the effort, but I did make money out of it and got work experience and figured out what I want to do (which is over 9000 miles from my degree subject)
Original post by JBalde
x

That was a really nice and motivational read :smile: I definitely get what you mean by doing a masters for your own personal satisfaction: I'm the same and aim for those higher grades to feel satisfied. I've learned that even if you are not proud of a grade or something, it is important to move on and use the experience as way to figure out how you can better yourself to achieve your new goal.
Well really a 2.2 from any British university depending on your social disposition can and should be viewed as an achievement.Maybe if you are a rich kid who has never had life knock you back or beset you in anyway then you should be ashamed.Lastly in some universities usually the so called top ones have a low percentile criteria for a 2.1 example being the LSE where 51% achieves that grade.Now the implications of that should be obvious to you all, furthermore every university regardless of ranking which is usually stipulated by research and external factors than just level of students. The fact is education in this country is not equal and therefore judging a person's intellect or even level of hard work on a degree is presumptuous.
I would not be proud of a 2.2. If I was going to get a 2.2 to be honest I think I would prefer to have gone straight into work or an apprenticeship. I also do not think getting a 2.2 grade is worth the cost of a degree.

I thought I was going to get a 2.2 for the first and second years of my degree and it terrified me so much I managed to work harder in third year and get a 2.1 and I am so glad. If you are relatively intelligent and you are getting a 2.2 you need to address why that is - exam technique, written technique, not understanding the questions, etc. If you're not that bright and you've gone to one of the unis where you only need 2 A levels or some bizarre requirements just for the sake of getting a degree, you'd be better off going straight into work and gaining 3 years of experience over all the graduates. Just my opinion.

Latest