Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How do you Motivate yourself to Eat well and Exercise? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I would really like to start becoming a bit healthier - now that I'm 24 and a little podgier than I would like. (I'm not overweight but I don't feel very confident).

Ideally I want to just get healthier, I don't actually care too much about my weight because I know that will probably follow.

I have bought a multitude of books on healthy eating and lifestyle, I joined weight watchers and I make healthy meal plans in advance to try and stick to. But I just CAN'T. Does anyone else have this lack of willpower? How do you motivate yourself to stick to your plans?

ReputationRep:
    If you don't have the motivation, you won't succeed. That's the ultimate truth that I've learned the hard way. It's amazing to feel the difference between having motivation and not having it, and I now know that if you don't really WANT the results, you're never going to get them.

Nobody knows what will motivate you. Often it's a lightbulb moment, and that particular motivation will only apply to you personally. Here are a few things that may help.

-Make a list of the reasons you want to get fit.
    -Make a list of bad things that can happen if you don't, & good things that can happen if you do.
    -Buy some clothes in a smaller size to slim into.
    -Display your least favourite photos of yourself around the house.
    -Look at other people's success stories (MyFitnessPal.com is great for this).
    -Try different types of exercise- you might find that you really enjoy one that you never thought you would.

ReputationRep:
    You may not see things the way I see them, and I know you must never compare yourself to other people's situations. My personal motivation for exercising and eating good is health. A lot more diseases than we think come from wrongful allimentation. I know some of them are genetically caused, but a healthy allimentation can never do wrong. It is also a issue of confidence, self respect, but to me, the wellness of my body and my mind are primordial. Every little bad thing you eat will not show its effect immediately, but in time they will cumulate, trust me on that.
    As for exercising, try finding something fun that you like doing. I am doing aerobics and zumba because I love music and dancing. Stick to whatever physical activity you may find with ambition and determination. Pictures with physically fit and attractive people may help you not to lose your motivation on the way.
    Hope I helped a bit

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Make an observable goal e.g. 7lbs lost - drink 2L of water. Find exercise you enjoy and you'll be more likely to stick to it.

Use apps!
    I love myfitnesspal, runkeeper and some others that track water etc.

ReputationRep:
    Short Term Inconvenience gives Long term success

Eventually you will come to understand that the short term inconvenience, was not an inconvenience at all.

If your health is important to you. I mean, if it's really important to you, then you will do whatever it takes to make sure you lead a healthy life - regardless of what your other goals may be.

ReputationRep:
    With small lifestyle changes heading towards a big goal with smaller, more acheiveable, goals.

Eg:

If you're aiming for weightloss, health, becoming smaller or anything like that make an ultimate goal. Something like a size X, or X stone, or X body fat percentage, or be able to run a marathon or something. That becomes your ultimate aim. Break that into steps. So if it's your body fat that bothers you and you're aiming to lose 10% (or something) put it into 2% gaps.

That's for goals, now lifestyle.

Make small changes which can easily become routine in the long run. But no sudden and drastic changes and you will most certainly not stick to them because they're so big to adapt to. Just things like no longer drinking "less natural" drinks like soda etc and sticking to waters, juices, milk, tea etc; or walking for 10 mins twice a day more than normal. And these dietary and activity related changes can be increased as you feel comfortable and in the long run you'll act, eat, and be more health and you'll feel it

Just don't forget to reward yourself at your mini-goals (the mind doesn't enjoy constant work). Every 2% have the soda, burger, or chocolate you like or take a day off of extra exercise or something

ReputationRep:
    Thank you for all the tips There's definitely a few in here i hadn't considered and will try!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Siobhanish)
    I would really like to start becoming a bit healthier - now that I'm 24 and a little podgier than I would like. (I'm not overweight but I don't feel very confident).

Ideally I want to just get healthier, I don't actually care too much about my weight because I know that will probably follow.

I have bought a multitude of books on healthy eating and lifestyle, I joined weight watchers and I make healthy meal plans in advance to try and stick to. But I just CAN'T. Does anyone else have this lack of willpower? How do you motivate yourself to stick to your plans?
    Don't eat weightwatchers/'light'/low fat foods. These are just foods packed with fructose to compensate for the lack of taste (since there is less fat) but fructose is the easiest digested sugar into fat so these foods really don't help you at all...

Take a picture of yourself and stick it up on your wall.

If you want to eat healthily quickly, take a picture of every meal you eat with your phone. You will unconciously start eating healthy foods since your mind won't want pictures of **** and mcdonalds all over your phone

urgh don't use food diaries like myfitnesspal. From experience its tedious to track your foods and calories aren't the best sign of anything anyway. Just eat healthily. No processed foods, only one day a week where you eat anything containing sugar (fruit, sweets, fast food) etc

ReputationRep:
    The only way to stick to something is to really motivate yourself and tell yourself you are going to do it no matter what.

You'r main motivation at the moment is to (not to be mean) look at people who obviously don't eat well, look how slugish they look and they move slow, bad skin, and they generally do not look after there own body.

I've always thought why do people use there bodies as a trashcan, when it takes a little bit of effort to just make a good meal, drink loads of water eat loads of fruit, and it really is rewarding. Don't look for motivation, just get up and do it. Make yourself proud!

ReputationRep:
    Get a sport you enjoy and want to compete in. Aim to win at it.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.