Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey everyone.So I'm resitting this bloody Media Studies exam in like 5 days and to be frank,I've got the material down (at least I think I do) but the problem is I do not know how to structure it.It's been dreadful for me last year and I absolutely hated the topics of this subject (what a load of crap) hence why I kinda bottomed this exam.

The thing is,like I've already said,I do not know how to structure questions 2 and 3 on audiences and representation since I did well in Question 1 but completely plummeted in the other 2.I'm still suspicious of it tbh.

I know the theories like the Reception theory,Uses and Gratifications,The individualist model,the Effects model,the preferred/oppositional/negotiated readings and relevant ideology like hegemony,Todorov's theory,connotations,encode,decod e,mode of address etc.

I have a feeling Question 1 is going to be on either a video game sequence,a sci-fi trailer or an advertisement this year and well God help me with that but I'm pretty sure that the representation question is going to be on either ethnicity or events.It can't be issues bcz they were in the last exam and age was used in paper back in 2011 so just me guessing.
    So for events I have of course the Olympics and how it was represented in the Guardian,the Sun and the BBC (closing ceremony video),the Diamond Jubilee and its representation in the Telegraph,the Dailymail and the BBC and Gangnam Style,the satire and its hidden meaning,the stereotypical representation of Asians and how the connotations of unity through music that has no language can be found in the ignorance people have about what it truly satirises and means.
    About ethnicity I have PSY again,Beyonce,Indian Skin Whitening ads,a racist poster and a film I've been studying.

For audiences I'm thinking of giving an overview about individuality and the reason for relatable stereotypes and then go through some examples as I progress through my question like the difference between tabloids and broadsheets etc.

I apologise for the lengthy post but being so unsure of what to write is new to me.I hate self-doubt.Any help is appreciated.What do you guys think the exam will be on?

ReputationRep:
    Hi!!!

I'm sooo glad I've found someone who is roughly in the same position as me...at least I don't feel like I'm the only one, ha! Basically I'm also resitting that AS WJEC Media Studies exam because I flopped it in the summer, I was so cocky as well back then, I thought I had it in the bag, I felt like the exam went swimmingly but obviously it didn't. And I'm also continuing with A2 Media Studies this year with a completely new teacher who started in September, at least he's better than my AS teacher who taught me Media initially, she was solely an English teacher who thought she could teach Media, she was so rubbish - she's mostly the reason why I did so badly in the summer examination.

Now I have a lovely personal tutor (who is a former WJEC A-level Media examiner) that comes to my house to revisit some AS parts seeing as in school no one can assist me back to AS Media stuff - I mean, my new teacher helps me with bits of AS stuff but seeing as in school we focus on A2, I need a teacher who can help me with my AS full time, you know? It's a great investment to have a personal tutor if you're doing resits - you'd see in your exam results the improvement, I definitely recommend it! I mean, now I'm literally getting 31/40 on Question 1 and 22-25/30 on Question 3! I think that's pretty decent if you ask me. I just have to continue refreshing my mind on all the theories and concepts until Wednesday!

I used to have a huge problem with structuring my essays, I think that's one of the reasons why I flopped in the summer exam, but you know what works? Basically make sure your points are in line TOGETHER! Nothing is worse than talking about a specific media text then revisiting it pretty much at the end of your essay again if you know what I mean. Keeping your points, explanations and examples together is always good, try and practice more on structuring your essay until the exam, bullet-pointing the stuff that you need to keep together etc. My new problem is that my essays are 'too short'. My personal tutor keeps saying how the content is generally good but I honestly need to write more and I'm like HOW??? Do you feel like that? When you feel like you've written enough but you have to write more and you're in a spot of bother trying to figure out what else is relevant to put in?

As for the audio-visual exam next week, I think the extract is going to be about the London Olympics 2012. Regardless of what type of show the extract is going to be on, I have a itchy feeling that the Olympics are going to come up! I mean, it was definitely THE highlight of 2012 and could you imagine the amount of media coverage it had? My personal tutor agrees it as well, so I'm hoping it is as I've already done so much work on it.

Sorry about my lengthy 'life story' I tend to do that a lot, ahhh!

Good luck on your exam!!! I'm sure you'll be fine anyway!

- Hanna.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HannaBelle)
    Hi!!!

I'm sooo glad I've found someone who is roughly in the same position as me...at least I don't feel like I'm the only one, ha! Basically I'm also resitting that AS WJEC Media Studies exam because I flopped it in the summer, I was so cocky as well back then, I thought I had it in the bag, I felt like the exam went swimmingly but obviously it didn't. And I'm also continuing with A2 Media Studies this year with a completely new teacher who started in September, at least he's better than my AS teacher who taught me Media initially, she was solely an English teacher who thought she could teach Media, she was so rubbish - she's mostly the reason why I did so badly in the summer examination.

Now I have a lovely personal tutor (who is a former WJEC A-level Media examiner) that comes to my house to revisit some AS parts seeing as in school no one can assist me back to AS Media stuff - I mean, my new teacher helps me with bits of AS stuff but seeing as in school we focus on A2, I need a teacher who can help me with my AS full time, you know? It's a great investment to have a personal tutor if you're doing resits - you'd see in your exam results the improvement, I definitely recommend it! I mean, now I'm literally getting 31/40 on Question 1 and 22-25/30 on Question 3! I think that's pretty decent if you ask me. I just have to continue refreshing my mind on all the theories and concepts until Wednesday!

I used to have a huge problem with structuring my essays, I think that's one of the reasons why I flopped in the summer exam, but you know what works? Basically make sure your points are in line TOGETHER! Nothing is worse than talking about a specific media text then revisiting it pretty much at the end of your essay again if you know what I mean. Keeping your points, explanations and examples together is always good, try and practice more on structuring your essay until the exam, bullet-pointing the stuff that you need to keep together etc. My new problem is that my essays are 'too short'. My personal tutor keeps saying how the content is generally good but I honestly need to write more and I'm like HOW??? Do you feel like that? When you feel like you've written enough but you have to write more and you're in a spot of bother trying to figure out what else is relevant to put in?

As for the audio-visual exam next week, I think the extract is going to be about the London Olympics 2012. Regardless of what type of show the extract is going to be on, I have a itchy feeling that the Olympics are going to come up! I mean, it was definitely THE highlight of 2012 and could you imagine the amount of media coverage it had? My personal tutor agrees it as well, so I'm hoping it is as I've already done so much work on it.

Sorry about my lengthy 'life story' I tend to do that a lot, ahhh!

Good luck on your exam!!! I'm sure you'll be fine anyway!

- Hanna.
    Hi Hanna ^_^....Oh I totally get what you mean!My teacher is absolute rubbish!She introduces a task and it's up to the forces of nature to help us complete it,sigh.As for the personal tutor thing,that's great for you but I can't afford that ....I see what you're saying,it might be on the Olympics as well!If they show the opening or closing ceremony it'd be awesome cz there's so much to talk about!I actually got a 31/40 in my first question last year,haha and totally flopped the other two ;//
    I'm pretty much to the point I've given up on studying more things and just seeing the things I've noted down everyday,revisiting my theories etc.
    Anyway,I really do hope I do well and good luck!!

ReputationRep:
    Hey, how did you find the exam?

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I'm sitting my AS Media exam on Monday. I was wondering what came up for the representation question on the Jan exam? :-) x

ReputationRep:
    I too would also like to know what question came up!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 12hazza13)
    I too would also like to know what question came up!
    There is another thread, http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...432&highlight=
    which said that the representation question was on youth

ReputationRep:
    Thankyou what is your school doing for Section B- we are doing British Cinema

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.