Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How to reduce costs of prisons? Watch

ReputationRep:
    It costs thousands of pounds per prisoner each year.

If you were in government what would you do to make them cheaper, rather than having to privatise them? Obviously don't say anything that's just stupid or inhumane.

I would

1) Give them vegetarian meals - this is also an easy way to deal with hallal and other religious needs, to stop there being uproar. Unless for some medical reason they need lots of protein/iron.

2) Only give them water (and maybe milk) to drink.

3) Not just get prisoners qualifications like they currently do, but also get them making things, that can be sold on the outside world. Not like slave labour where they have to work 18 hours a day, but enough so that they make a reasonable amount.

4) No TVs etc. TVs and electricity are getting more expensive. They can know about the outside world with newspapers.

5) I'm not sure if they already do this or not - don't employ cleaners for areas that prisoners are allowed. Make the prisoners do this. This includes washing their plates, cups and cutlery after meals.

What else can you think of. Each one won't save a huge amount but if enough measures are introduced it must be able to save thousands !?!?

(Original post by anony.mouse)

If you were in government what would you do to make them cheaper? Obviously don't say anything that's just stupid or inhumane.

I would

1) Give them vegetarian meals - this is also an easy way to deal with hallal and other religious needs, to stop there being uproar.

2) Only give them water to drink.

3) Not just get prisoners qualifications like they currently do, but also get them making things, that can be sold on the outside world. Not like slave labour where they have to work 18 hours a day, but enough so that they make a reasonable amount.

4) No TVs etc. TVs and electricity are getting more expensive. They can know about the outside world with newspapers.

5) I'm not sure if they already do this or not - don't employ cleaners for areas that prisoners are allowed. Make the prisoners do this. This includes washing their plates, cups and cutlery after meals.

What else can you think of. Each one won't save a huge amount but if enough measures are introduced it must be able to save thousands !?!?
      As I understand it prisons are undergoing a transition to privatisation so no matter what strategy you try to employ to save money you can be certain that the private companies who run them will cleverly arrange things to maximise their profits - defeating your objectives. I read recently that in the US the cost of privately run prisons has got so out of control that some states are even thinking of abandoning their 'three strikes' law.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Oswy)
      As I understand it prisons are undergoing a transition to privatisation so no matter what strategy you try to employ to save money you can be certain that the private companies who run them will cleverly arrange things to maximise their profits - defeating your objectives. I read recently that in the US the cost of privately run prisons has got so out of control that some states are even thinking of abandoning their 'three strikes' law.
      I know, but this is assuming that the government could change things rather than having to privatise them.

ReputationRep:
      Make prisoners fight to the death, Gladiator style and air it on tv/live. Money would be made from advertisements, ticket sales etc and there would be less prisoners to feed/shelter.

Only talking about the worst prisoners here...

I know, but this is assuming that the government could change things rather than having to privatise them.
        Ok, well, setting aside the problem of private companies running prisons for profit, the best course of action would be to invest in the rehabilitation, education and skilling of prisoners so that when they leave their chances of re-offending is significantly reduced and of obtaining honest work is significantly increased. After all, most prisoners are not in prison for decades, they are going to come out and keeping them out has to be a priority - no matter how 'cheap' you make a prison sentence they are always going to cost more than the absence of re-offending. I don't object in principle to minimising domestic pleasures that might be a luxury for many non-offenders but petty restrictions and punishment (like only letting inmates drink water) only ever lead to resentment at 'the system' which one way or another will manifest itself, either inside or out.

(Original post by Jordan_1)
          Make prisoners fight to the death, Gladiator style and air it on tv/live. Money would be made from advertisements, ticket sales etc and there would be less prisoners to feed/shelter.

Yeah, because society really needs this kind of glorification of violence :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
          Improve social conditions in the outside world in order to lower the rates of the most commonly committed crimes, to reduce overcrowding

ReputationRep:
          Fewer laws

ReputationRep:

If you were in government what would you do to make them cheaper, rather than having to privatise them? Obviously don't say anything that's just stupid or inhumane.

I would

1) Give them vegetarian meals - this is also an easy way to deal with hallal and other religious needs, to stop there being uproar.

There are some people who have to eat meat. What about these people?

2) Only give them water to drink.
          completely agree

agree

agree, although prisons can be quite violent places, so is this used as a means of easier control for prison guards maybe? An easier way to keep the prisoners occupied?

Then someone loses their job.

I dont understand why prisoners have such easy lives anyway. Make it a bit less easy to live in them and im sure less people will reoffend.

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
          1) Reintroduce capital punishment

2) Use "The Shawshank Redemption" as the official prison guard training video

ReputationRep:
          You can only go so far though before you're infringing on their human rights and believe it or not, lots of prisoners aren't bad people but have just made bad choices. I think they need to be encouraged not to re offend in other ways because this is what'll keep them out in the long term though I do agree steps need to be taken to make the prisons more cost effective.

Besides it's not as if violence isn't glorified everywhere already, is it :rolleyes:
            What? If violence is a problem in society (which it is) how is glorifying it through televised prison fights going to help?

ReputationRep:
            (Original post by Oswy)
            Ok, well, setting aside the problem of private companies running prisons for profit, the best course of action would be to invest in the rehabilitation, education and skilling of prisoners so that when they leave their chances of re-offending is significantly reduced and of obtaining honest work is significantly increased. After all, most prisoners are not in prison for decades, they are going to come out and keeping them out has to be a priority - no matter how 'cheap' you make a prison sentence they are always going to cost more than the absence of re-offending. I don't object in principle to minimising domestic pleasures that might be a luxury for many non-offenders but petty restrictions and punishment (like only letting inmates drink water) only ever lead to resentment at 'the system' which one way or another will manifest itself, either inside or out.
            True, but would this actually save money . . .

'resentment of the system' I don't understand. These measures including only water, are making prisons seem less desirable so people are less likely to want to go to prison.

(Original post by kunoichi)
            I dont understand why prisoners have such easy lives anyway. Make it a bit less easy to live in them and im sure less people will reoffend.
            That's what my suggestions try and do - make prisons less cushy.

What people 'have' to eat meat? Protein can be gained from others sources.

They can have other things to keep them occupied such as the craftwork, or working on an allotment. There could be arange of activities where they grow/make things that they can eat or sell (obviously they wouldn't keep the money, it would go towards their costs.)

Not lose jobs completely. There's some parts of prisons that the prisoners aren't allowed in, these would still need a cleaner from the outside world. And like I said, they might do this already anyway.

ReputationRep:
            (Original post by Oswy)
            Surely this would be negated if the overall cost of running a prison (either public or private sector) fell? If the Department of Justice could see that the operating costs of a prison had fallen, the amount of money handed over to any private contractor would fall accordingly. Of course, contractors will always implement their own cost-saving measures, in order to maximise their profit as a percentage of what they are given in the first place. However, I'm sure prison costs are subject to review, and any new contracts handed out would fall in value if any cost-saving legislation were to be put in place.

ReputationRep:
            (Original post by SamHedges)
            You can only go so far though before you're infringing on their human rights and believe it or not, lots of prisoners aren't bad people but have just made bad choices. I think they need to be encouraged not to re offend in other ways because this is what'll keep them out in the long term though I do agree steps need to be taken to make the prisons more cost effective.
            True, but none of my suggestions are infringing on human rights. Even with the making/growing things idea, the prisoners could choose what they want to do. Plus there would be enough options so that anyone with a medical condition could still find something to do.

True, but would this actually save money . . .

'resentment of the system' I don't understand. These measures including only water, are making prisons seem less desirable so people are less likely to want to go to prison...
              Ultimately, yes, every person who never returns to prison is a big saving, and, presumably, a 'saved' life too. Prisons are already pretty unpleasant places for all but the most institutionalised and even in those countries with terrible prison conditions people still commit the kinds of petty crimes which see them return time and time again. Things like poverty, dysfunctional upbringing, lack of education and lack of rewarding work outside of prison cannot be ignored; if you feel compelled to steal a handfull of razors from the local supermarket in order to buy food, pay your rent or obtain some other thing you want, the threat of a prison cell without a TV or with only water to drink is probably the furthest thing from your mind. Did you know that a disproportionate percentage of the UK prison population can't read or write? Everything is connected my friend.

ReputationRep:
              (Original post by Oswy)
              What? If violence is a problem in society (which it is) how is glorifying it through televised prison fights going to help?
              It isn't. But it isn't going to make it any worse...

Actually, it might even be an incentive for people not to commit crimes.

ReputationRep:
              (Original post by So Instinct)
              Nah that would cost too much. Give them some swords and spears and **** and let them at it.

(Original post by FrogInABog)
                Surely this would be negated if the overall cost of running a prison (either public or private sector) fell? If the Department of Justice could see that the operating costs of a prison had fallen, the amount of money handed over to any private contractor would fall accordingly. Of course, contractors will always implement their own cost-saving measures, in order to maximise their profit as a percentage of what they are given in the first place. However, I'm sure prison costs are subject to review, and any new contracts handed out would fall in value if any cost-saving legislation were to be put in place.
                Invariably the companies who operate such institutions under contract have some power to present the figures as to the costs and the last thing they're going to do is show operating costs as going down, even if they look to reduce such costs for profitable ends. Let's not be naive here, capitalism is about making as much profit as possible, not about being honest or 'helping out'. Yes, there will be a review procedure but there are probably any numbers of ways they can be manipulated, whether through bribery, fake competition, duopolies and so forth. Just look at how the costs of the railways has spiralled since privatisation - and do most users think their services have improved?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
              Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
            • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
              Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.