Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How to reduce costs of prisons? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I was directing that more at the people saying they should be given a far harder time in jail though. I think your suggestions are good ones and people saying that you can't have a healthy vegetarian diet are misguided. Lots of people in jail are under qualified, untrained individuals who need help whilst they're in jail to cope with the real world when they're not. Giving them a horrible time will only make them resent the society they'll return to, they need to learn skills such as agricultural, construction, mechanical skills so when they've done their time they can go into employment as opposed to living on the dole sponging further money off the government.

I listened to a documentary about giving these offenders acting lessons and lots of people disagreed with this on the basis that they're gone in because they've committed heinous crimes, why should they enjoy themselves? But when you see violent person who's murdered someone, assaulted someone, domestically abused their partner, coming out of these lessons a changed person it's plain to see that we can do better for these people than just having them locked up in a cell for years of their lives without a release. These people need something to live for and prison as people are suggesting just doesn't provide anything for them to aspire to or want for.

(Original post by Jordan_1)
      It isn't. But it isn't going to make it any worse...

Actually, it might even be an incentive for people not to commit crimes.
      I hope you don't actually believe the things you type out here.

Your scheme would turn prisoners, otherwise being punished and rehabilitated by society, into famous gladiators, idolised by testosterone fuelled teenagers wanting to emulate their 'heroes'. Their fights would no doubt fuel illegal gambling and fight-fixing ona huge scale, way to increase the infrastructure of organised crime.

My mistake, of course, was to take you seriously, so I'll stop now.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Oswy)
      I hope you don't actually believe the things you type out here.

Your scheme would turn prisoners, otherwise being punished and rehabilitated by society, into famous gladiators, idolised by testosterone fuelled teenagers wanting to emulate their 'heroes'. Their fights would no doubt fuel illegal gambling and fight-fixing ona huge scale, way to increase the infrastructure of organised crime.

My mistake, of course, was to take you seriously, so I'll stop now.
      Punished? HA. Don't make me laugh, prisoners have a better quality of life than some working class families. Rehabilitated? That's why nearly 50% of prisoners re-offend...

If people are making money from illegal gambling and fight-fixing, who cares? It would help the economy.

ReputationRep:
      Punished? HA. Don't make me laugh, prisoners have a better quality of life than some working class families. Rehabilitated? That's why nearly 50% of prisoners re-offend...

If people are making money from illegal gambling and fight-fixing, who cares? It would help the economy.
      British prisons do sem quite cushy, thats what some of my measures are trying to deal with. I do also agree that rehabilitation is useful.

It's unethical and would take society a step back to worse times where we don't care about human rights.

ReputationRep:

Are you trolling?

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by anony.mouse)
      British prisons do sem quite cushy, thats what some of my measures are trying to deal with. I do also agree that rehabilitation is useful.

It's unethical and would take society a step back to worse times where we don't care about human rights.
      As it has been said a million times before. When you commit a serious crime, you lose your human rights. If you murder in cold blood, or rape children etc you are no longer human in my eyes.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by SamHedges)
      Are you trolling?
      What part of my post wasn't correct?

ReputationRep:
      As it has been said a million times before. When you commit a serious crime, you lose your human rights. If you murder in cold blood, or rape children etc you are no longer human in my eyes.
      That's your opinion, but criminals are still humans. It doesn't stop them from being punished. And some people are wrongly sentenced.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Oswy)
      Invariably the companies who operate such institutions under contract have some power to present the figures as to the costs and the last thing they're going to do is show operating costs as going down, even if they look to reduce such costs for profitable ends. Let's not be naive here, capitalism is about making as much profit as possible, not about being honest or 'helping out'. Yes, there will be a review procedure but there are probably any numbers of ways they can be manipulated, whether through bribery, fake competition, duopolies and so forth. Just look at how the costs of the railways has spiralled since privatisation - and do most users think their services have improved?
      I'm not suggesting that a prison contractor would want to "help out", I'm merely saying that external reviews by the government would be carried out to assess the real costs of running a prison. Inevitably, people will find ways to fiddle the numbers a bit, here and there, but that happens no matter who is operating it. Also, the cost of the railways is affected by so much more than the operator, and it's impossible to say whether it would be more efficient in public hands. Besides, the real golden era of British railways was pre-nationalisation, but let's not get too bogged down by trains!

ReputationRep:
      Money gambled is lost to the economy and gambling is bad for society anyway.

When you commit a serious crime, you lose your human rights. If you murder in cold blood, or rape children etc you are no longer human in my eyes.
      And what about the people who made a mistake? The ones who made a bad decision and are not necessarily bad people? Should they be brutally put to death as well?

ReputationRep:

And what about the people who made a mistake? The ones who made a bad decision and are not necessarily bad people? Should they be brutally put to death as well?
      Cold blooded murder, rape and peadphilia are hardly 'mistakes'

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by 122025278)
      1) Reintroduce capital punishment
      That would probably cost more than just imprisoning them.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by anony.mouse)
      What people 'have' to eat meat? Protein can be gained from others sources.

They can have other things to keep them occupied such as the craftwork, or working on an allotment. There could be arange of activities where they grow/make things that they can eat or sell (obviously they wouldn't keep the money, it would go towards their costs.)

Not lose jobs completely. There's some parts of prisons that the prisoners aren't allowed in, these would still need a cleaner from the outside world. And like I said, they might do this already anyway.
      Some health conditions (i have one - b12 deficiency) make it hard to keep the levels of certain things you need to a healthy level.
      When i was diagnosed, i was told to eat as much meat as possible to try to keep my levels at a healthy rate. Thats why i suggest it.

on an alternative level, only give meat to those who need it.

As for the rest of what you say, very true.

ReputationRep:
      Making the prisoners dance, and then sell tickets.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4cgwzwwp0YI

ReputationRep:
      Bad choices though. People change, if that wasn't true then prisons would be redundant in the first place and every crime should be punishable by death, how does that sound?
      Rarely. Could you think of anything worse than someone getting released from prison as it is believed they have been 'rehabilitated' for them to go and cause more crimes?

For the worst crimes, I really couldn't care if they were put straight to death. But that's impractical and costly.

ReputationRep:

I Iz well srry peps, a no a mad a mstake killin all thos pepz init, i mean i only wantd 2 kill pepz cos ma m8 told me so an they were lokin at me funny init. a mad a mstake so pls 4give me an gimme a nice easy jail. im a gud person realy a ave a efics.

No.

ReputationRep:
      No but making them fight each-other won't solve anything, that's just barbaric. More resources need to be used on rehabilitating these people, like I've said. What you're suggesting is that these people are coming out as they went in and if that's true then regardless of cost, something's fundamentally wrong with the prison system. By making them fight each other what you're doing is changing the people who committed petty crimes into ruthless fighters who'd be released back into society, not something many would be happy about.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by the mezzil)
      I Iz well srry peps, a no a mad a mstake killin all thos pepz init, i mean i only wantd 2 kill pepz cos ma m8 told me so an they were lokin at me funny init. a mad a mstake so pls 4give me an gimme a nice easy jail. im a gud person realy a ave a efics.

No.
      And that's the sort of life that lots of people are brought into but it doesn't means that's how it should be. We should be working to make these people better people and that's what jail should be for.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by abc:))
      Improve social conditions in the outside world in order to lower the rates of the most commonly committed crimes, to reduce overcrowding
      :congrats:

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by kunoichi)
      Some health conditions (i have one - b12 deficiency) make it hard to keep the levels of certain things you need to a healthy level.
      When i was diagnosed, i was told to eat as much meat as possible to try to keep my levels at a healthy rate. Thats why i suggest it.
      Could you take supplements though? How would that compare financially?

1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.