Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How to reduce costs of prisons? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SamHedges)
    Could you take supplements though? How would that compare financially?
    I dont know, i havent looked into that as i was told not to because my levels were too low for supplements to help.
    Im going to need injections every month or so i think, but i was told to try and eat loads of meat on top of that just to help.

It all depends on how low the deficiency is.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jordan_1)
    As it has been said a million times before. When you commit a serious crime, you lose your human rights. If you murder in cold blood, or rape children etc you are no longer human in my eyes.
    So killing a killer is acceptable? Capital punishment is revenge not justice. Better let them suffer by denying them freedom for the entirety of their life, rather than giving them mercy.

ReputationRep:
    And there's always the possibility of somebody being wrongly convicted. What happens when you force someone to fight to the death or have them killed and then new evidence comes out that proves them innocent?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Oswy)
    Ultimately, yes, every person who never returns to prison is a big saving, and, presumably, a 'saved' life too. Prisons are already pretty unpleasant places for all but the most institutionalised and even in those countries with terrible prison conditions people still commit the kinds of petty crimes which see them return time and time again. Things like poverty, dysfunctional upbringing, lack of education and lack of rewarding work outside of prison cannot be ignored; if you feel compelled to steal a handfull of razors from the local supermarket in order to buy food, pay your rent or obtain some other thing you want, the threat of a prison cell without a TV or with only water to drink is probably the furthest thing from your mind. Did you know that a disproportionate percentage of the UK prison population can't read or write? Everything is connected my friend.
    Yesssss. Someone talking sense! I see you're an Immortal Technique fan too, nice one. You listened to much Akala?

(Original post by EwanHarvey)
      Yesssss. Someone talking sense! I see you're an Immortal Technique fan too, nice one. You listened to much Akala?
      Hi! Yeah, I'm a big Immortal Technique fan and though I'm less familiar with Akala I've liked everything I've heard him do.

ReputationRep:
      Simple: employ the prisoners to do 20 hours manual labour a week and pay them in prison priviledges like a tv or games console. No work, no mario kart. The rest of the time they can do their skills training etc. We will always need more roads and railways built.

and here's the trick: they get to keep their prison job for up to 1 year after leaving prison, guaranteed, on minimum wage.

I don't think any first offender commits a crime because he thinks "oh prison won't be that bad".

ReputationRep:
      bring back the prison ships/colonies... cant think of a better and cheaper way to teqach them a lesson than dumping them on somewhere like ascention or a leaky old tub in the north sea plus each of them costs peanuts.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by py0alb)
      I don't think any first offender commits a crime because he thinks "oh prison won't be that bad".
      Homeless people. If you have no food, or warmth, or qualifications etc, then prison would be almsot luxurious to you, unless you get on the wrong side of someone and drop the soap in the shower when they're behind you.

(Original post by cl_steele)
      bring back the prison ships/colonies... cant think of a better and cheaper way to teqach them a lesson than dumping them on somewhere like ascention or a leaky old tub in the north sea plus each of them costs peanuts.
      It worked in the past but I doubt the EU/UN would allow it anymore.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by anony.mouse)
      Homeless people. If you have no food, or warmth, or qualifications etc, then prison would be almsot luxurious to you, unless you get on the wrong side of someone and drop the soap in the shower when they're behind you.
      Seriously question, but do homeless people not have shelters they can go to?

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by abc:))
      Improve social conditions in the outside world in order to lower the rates of the most commonly committed crimes, to reduce overcrowding
      Pretty much this, the solution lies in prevention rather than rehabilitation.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by anony.mouse)
      It costs thousands of pounds per prisoner each year.

If you were in government what would you do to make them cheaper, rather than having to privatise them? Obviously don't say anything that's just stupid or inhumane.

I would

1) Give them vegetarian meals - this is also an easy way to deal with hallal and other religious needs, to stop there being uproar. Unless for some medical reason they need lots of protein/iron.

2) Only give them water (and maybe milk) to drink.

3) Not just get prisoners qualifications like they currently do, but also get them making things, that can be sold on the outside world. Not like slave labour where they have to work 18 hours a day, but enough so that they make a reasonable amount.

4) No TVs etc. TVs and electricity are getting more expensive. They can know about the outside world with newspapers.

5) I'm not sure if they already do this or not - don't employ cleaners for areas that prisoners are allowed. Make the prisoners do this. This includes washing their plates, cups and cutlery after meals.

What else can you think of. Each one won't save a huge amount but if enough measures are introduced it must be able to save thousands !?!?
      1. It costs between £1 and £3 per day (not per meal) to feed a prisoner in the UK. This equates to £365-£1098 per year, which isn't really that much of the £38k/year it costs to keep someone in prison. The meals are already designed to be as cheap and low quality as possible, due to the price of food currently it is difficult to reduce the cost of food any more, and I doubt that switching to vegetarian meals would make any difference to this.

2. They probably already only get water to drink, I'd imagine that drinks costs are included in the meal costs so even if they do get more than water, it won't cost much.

3. This is an excellent idea, the only problem is what to make in there, remembering that tools and equipment cost a lot, and it could be dangerous if prisoners were to get a bit upset while they were using certain equipment, such as a knife.

4. Only a few prisoners get a TV in their cell, and they use very little electricity, lighting uses a lot more. However, I agree that no prisoners should get a TV in their cell. There should be a TV room that prisoners can get access to if they work hard and behave themselves.

5. In some prisons, prisoners do certain jobs such as cleaning. However, as others have said, making prisoners do this would mean innocent people losing their jobs.

The biggest cost is the staff, and keeping the buildings maintained, stuff like that. Not stuff that keeps the prisoners comfortable, but stuff that prevents them from escaping and protects the public from some very unpleasant people.

£38k per prisoner per year sounds like a lot, and it is, but its a small price to pay to protect us from people who have done some pretty horrible stuff, and some that would do it again if released.

1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.