Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello!

Basically in my GCSE's I tried not so hard, because I find it really hard to sit down and get on with my work, and now I am doing my AS levels and I am finding the same problem. People say "break it down" or "keep your eye on the prize" or "remind yourself why you're doing it" and I have tried that I honestly have.

But basically I need someone to tell me exactly how they force themselves into doing work - down to the last detail,

Thank you!

ReputationRep:
    I find that music helps, I also put up a page from a prospectus to keep me motivated and also having little snack foods

I'll do one section of a topic then have a break. It's slow but it works for me - just means revision starts earlier. I also find that I need pressure, so the fact my exams are a week away is making me do more work than I normally would

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    yeah...I've been having the exact same problem too.
    I am actually freaking out for the upcoming exams right now, but I'm so lazy and I find it hard to get the motivation to study!
    I don't know how to get motivated though....Like I've tried lots of ways but it doesn't work for me either. -_-

Well at least now you kind of know you're not the only one...

ReputationRep:
    Do 5 minutes. Just trust me. Sit down, and work for 5 minutes.

ReputationRep:
    brb let me revive your motivation for you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Guitarded)
    Do 5 minutes. Just trust me. Sit down, and work for 5 minutes.
    I agree with this.

The hardest part is always starting.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PiePiePie)
    yeah...I've been having the exact same problem too.
    I am actually freaking out for the upcoming exams right now, but I'm so lazy and I find it hard to get the motivation to study!
    I don't know how to get motivated though....Like I've tried lots of ways but it doesn't work for me either. -_-

Well at least now you kind of know you're not the only one...

This.

I've learned to accept I'm lazy and just find a way round it. I'm not saying this is the right way but this is how I learn, and has always worked for me - I just read an absolute **** load of material on the exam from the last day of the holidays on, a bit each day focusing on what I'm weak on. In summer study leave I'm ****ed though... but the key is finding a way to work with it, whichever way works best for you.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by I like school)
    Hello!

Basically in my GCSE's I tried not so hard, because I find it really hard to sit down and get on with my work, and now I am doing my AS levels and I am finding the same problem. People say "break it down" or "keep your eye on the prize" or "remind yourself why you're doing it" and I have tried that I honestly have.

But basically I need someone to tell me exactly how they force themselves into doing work - down to the last detail,

Thank you!
    Music helps like nothing else in the world, and also long pieces of work. If you give yourself an hour to do a past paper, and a selection of brilliant music, you'll want to carry on working just to listen to music for longer. Sure, you'll get distracted by the music, but you'll be willing to spend ages working.

I would put on the Dark Knight soundtrack and sit down for 90 minutes to do a past paper, and it felt epic.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Polymath)
    Music helps like nothing else in the world, and also long pieces of work. If you give yourself an hour to do a past paper, and a selection of brilliant music, you'll want to carry on working just to listen to music for longer. Sure, you'll get distracted by the music, but you'll be willing to spend ages working.

I would put on the Dark Knight soundtrack and sit down for 90 minutes to do a past paper, and it felt epic.
    This! But don't choose music with lyrics in (vocals will distract you more than anything, especially if you know them). Go for instrumental music.

ReputationRep:

Hahaha that sounds like it would actually work! I will definitely try this tomorrow ^-^

ReputationRep:
    People keep saying music, but if you're as unmotivated as me it is just another thing to distract you. :dontknow:
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Guitarded)
    This! But don't choose music with lyrics in (vocals will distract you more than anything, especially if you know them). Go for instrumental music.
    (Original post by PiePiePie)
    Hahaha that sounds like it would actually work! I will definitely try this tomorrow ^-^
    (Original post by CJKay)
    People keep saying music, but if you're as unmotivated as me it is just another thing to distract you. :dontknow:
    Yes, it can be an enormous distraction, but it forced me to sit there at my desk for hours on end, so I ended up doing a fair bit of work.
    Just doing short bits and bobs without any target will lead nowhere - give yourself whole past papers, or whole chapters etc. to cover so that you know when you're finished.
    Also, you develop a beastly collection of music in the process if you use Spotify

ReputationRep:
    Thank you all so much! I actually dug out the Harry Potter soundtrack (HP forever!) and it really works listening to music without lyrics! Fell kind of epic like the person who listened to the Dark Night...

But thank you all for responding so nicely

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by I like school)
    Hello!

Thank you!
    I was like you but then rather than think about what good grades will get you, think about what happens if you **** up.

Worked and still is working for me.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Motivation

Spoiler:
    Show
    Name:  MET3.jpg
Views: 84
Size:  192.5 KB

ReputationRep:
    This is what I would do:

before you go to bed, set everything up on your desk so that when you wake up the next morning, you can jump straight into your chair and start working. Literally have everything ready, even write up the title of the topic you'll be revising on your notepad (if you're going to be making notes). And have all your books opened on the right page, and mark on your textbook with a pencil to show the exact bit that you'll start on in the morning. Then when you're in bed, think of the first topic you'll be working, imagine yourself in the first 5 minutes in the morning and the notes you'll make, and then obviously fall asleep.

for me, starting has always been the most difficult bit, but once you get into working, it all flows naturally

ReputationRep:
    Yes, it can be an enormous distraction, but it forced me to sit there at my desk for hours on end, so I ended up doing a fair bit of work.
    Just doing short bits and bobs without any target will lead nowhere - give yourself whole past papers, or whole chapters etc. to cover so that you know when you're finished.
    Also, you develop a beastly collection of music in the process if you use Spotify
    My Internet is too slow to stream music.

ReputationRep:
    Do you not have an iPod or whatever that you could use?

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.