Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I've been looking at past papers for my unit 1 biology, chemistry and physics exams which I'm taking Jan 13 and the grade boundaries between Jan and June of 2012 all seemed to fall significantly, sometimes by around 9 or 10 marks. Does anybody know why this is and which boundaries are likely to be used in the upcoming exam season? I am usually an A* student but in the Jan 12 practice papers I have been missing out on an A* by one or two marks

ReputationRep:
    I think the grade boundaries will be fairly similar! Do you have any ideas on what might come up in the exam for bio and chem? Do you by any chance have the link for the Bio June 2012 paper?

ReputationRep:
    Do you think they will be similar to January or June? Well in most of the exams they usually do a question on every topic so I can't really help more than to say to revise everything, sorry :') No I don't think the June papers are online yet because they usually wait until after the next exam season or something.

ReputationRep:
    The grade boundaries for all GCSE and A levels exams are set after the papers have been taken and marked. They are based on an analysis of the paper and the performance of candidates taking it. There is no way to reliably predict them in advance.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks gdunne, I understand that but I get the impression that there was a conscious and deliberate change in grade boundaries because it happened across all three sciences and it was over the same time as the issues with grade boundaries in english and other subjects (though obviously in this case the boundaries have moved down which is partly what I find confusing). It's possible that the papers were harder but I don't think that that warrants a nearly 20% reduction in the mark you need for an A*.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by whydoesithappen)
    I've been looking at past papers for my unit 1 biology, chemistry and physics exams which I'm taking Jan 13 and the grade boundaries between Jan and June of 2012 all seemed to fall significantly, sometimes by around 9 or 10 marks. Does anybody know why this is and which boundaries are likely to be used in the upcoming exam season? I am usually an A* student but in the Jan 12 practice papers I have been missing out on an A* by one or two marks
    The reason it changes is because the ums is based on what everyone in the country got who took the exam but more schools took the unit 1 exams in june 2012 than januray 2012. As more people did it in june, more people did worse so brought the grade boundaries down. I resat all three units in june and went up, but when i converted my mark with the ums converter on the aqa website, i had got a similar makr than in januray. It might not be the same for you though just try and do well the first time, resits are effort!

ReputationRep:
    Thanks nacho4, yeah I've been speaking to people in school and we realised that everyone taking unit 1 in January will be doing it as part of triple science, because combined science students wouldn't take their exam halfway through the year, so everyone doing combined science will be taking unit 1 in June, which will bring down the grade boundaries then.

ReputationRep:
    What do you guys think, will come up in c1?

ReputationRep:
    I don't think there's any point in question spotting because everything on the spec could come up so the best thing to do is revise it all

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.