Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:

How should part (c) be done? I found the line connecting A and B, and then equated it to P to find lambda at P, but I'm not sure if this is right.

Appreciate your help, thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ezioaudi77)

How should part (c) be done? I found the line connecting A and B, and then equated it to P to find lambda at P, but I'm not sure if this is right.

Appreciate your help, thanks
    The "point P" is actually the equation of a straight line in disguise...

if you rearrange it, as in the mark scheme, (and let r denote the straight line) it becomes \mathbf{r} = -9\mathbf{k} + \lambda (\mathbf{i} +2\mathbf{j} + 2\mathbf{k})

so if you try and imagine it, the question is to actually try and show the points A and B lie on the line r (i.e. show that the points A and B the position vector -9k plus some some scale factor of the direction vector of lambda)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by boner in jeans)
    x
    When I see "point P", I would never think of it as a vector equation of a line. But your explanation makes sense, thanks

ReputationRep:
    I have a vector question if anyone can help please,
    The coordinates of points A,B and C are (4,2,-5), (10,2,-7) and (12,5,9)
    a) find a vector equation of the line l1 that passes through A and B
    I did this and got r=4i + 2j - 5k +lambda(6i + 2k) which is correct

b) Point X is on l1 such that direction vector CX is perpendicular to AB, find the coordinates of X.

This is what I'm stuck on, help please!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JenniS)
    I have a vector question if anyone can help please,
    The coordinates of points A,B and C are (4,2,-5), (10,2,-7) and (12,5,9)
    a) find a vector equation of the line l1 that passes through A and B
    I did this and got r=4i + 2j - 5k +lambda(6i + 2k) which is correct

b) Point X is on l1 such that direction vector CX is perpendicular to AB, find the coordinates of X.

This is what I'm stuck on, help please!!
    OX can be written as (4 +6λ)i + (2)j + (-2 -5λ)k.

CX = OX - OC.

If you know the dot product rule, you can find λ by CX∙AB=0.

Substitute the value you found for λ in (4 +6λ)i + (2)j + (-2 -5λ)k, and you can find the coordinates of X

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: January 5, 2013
Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.