Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Hi Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I am looking to go to uni for the first time in September. I will be 28 by then. Having really just made the decision to consider uni I am wondering if I have left things too late.

The deadline for UCAS applications is 15th Jan and I presume it is normal to visit open days at your chosen uni's before applying. I can't do that now, so is it worth applying?

I don't want to wait until september 2014 to go!!

thanks,

jason

ReputationRep:
    Yes. It's not a job application. You do not need to do research thoroughly. Just say something clever and relevant, maybe look at a few webpages of your course, cite a few tutors in your ps. As long as you can fake sincerity and the required grades, you are in. You are paying to be a student. I don't see why it's too late to apply.

ReputationRep:
    ok, thank you for that.

ReputationRep:
    I went to open days AFTER I applied. You probably have a good idea of where you want to go anyway. I knew before the open days, and they didn't make me change my mind.

ReputationRep:
    I knew where I wanted to go before going to open day. Open day just made me want to go to that uni even more.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    There's a fair bit to get done! You need to make sure that:

You've got a 4000 character Personal Statement;
    You know what course you want to do and where as quickly as possible;
    Your grades are on par with the entrance requirements / you can resit exams before September.

If you get all this done, you can definitely go for it. There's no reason you can't apply for a place this year, if you've got the mentality to go after it. Just make sure you've scoped out your university choices thoroughly first. Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    Also, the bit that tends to take the longest is the reference, so get that sorted ASAP

ReputationRep:
    As above, reference took me the longest, as it is completely out of your hands.

And now i am having the same problem again, getting a reference from my current University.

ReputationRep:
    I echo the reference problem. I am on an Access course and references have only just been done for the people that finished their part of the UCAS application in October. I finished mine last month and am still waiting for a reference.

It is fine to go to open days after applying. If you get an offer and decide you don't like the place then you don't have to accept.

ReputationRep:
    Ok thanks guys. Regarding grades - I assumed that as mature students, we don't need same grades as school-leavers?

I did get GCSEs and A-Levels, do I need to check these are going to be fine? The entry requirements only mention tariff points - how do I check I have enough?

Thanks everyone

ReputationRep:
    You can check on the ucas website. It really does all depend on the course and relevant experience etc. For example, I'm doing primary education so my five years in childcare makes up for my slight lack of ucas points.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 6, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.