Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Insomniac_1901)
    I know. He's a messed up individual. You know he's actually younger than me by enough to ACTUALLY be my younger brother? It's like my moral duty to sort him out...

Baby brothers play up sometimes... get confused. It's okay. It happens.
    Really!? Yeah he is messed up or 'corrupt' as he calls himself. :L

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by YWArtist)
    Talking to someone till 3/4 am every night
    But 'liking' someone else
    Hmm
    Dude this isn't fb!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Maryb_101)
    Corrupt? Nah trust me he's harmless :cute:

(Original post by Revent)
    x

:hugs:

ReputationRep:
    Talking to someone till 3/4 am every night
    But 'liking' someone else
    Hmm
    Lol mate, shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh,
    Stop acting so "sikh", not good

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Warlord)
    Lol mate, shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh,
    Stop acting so "sikh", not good
    Haha its not even what you think! :L
    Although you do know who I like!

ReputationRep:
    He is hilarious. Calls himself corrupt, and rather than fix it, continues it

ReputationRep:
    Haha its not even what you think! :L
    Although you do know who I like!
    Lol, you make your emotions pretty clear to everyone . Oh, we not talking about the nice person?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Revent)
    Just to wind you guys up
    Plus, I've learnt from the (old) best (Hasan )

How's it going sis?

Terrible.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Obscure One)
    Hey guys, since this is a very asian dominated thread, I feel some of you guys may be able to relate to what I got to say and suggest some solutions please?

Basically, I intend to go university this coming year, I told my mum and she was fine with it and stuff after persuading her for a long time. I don't really aim to tell my dad cos he's gonna be against it as he has the typical asian dad mindset, that every girl comes out of uni corrupt. But the thing is my only intention is actually to study. Like many people say that for a cover up for the real reason. But I honestly mean it, I'm even willing to go to the nearest uni to home. And then yday I was telling my mum about a uni I got a reply from (the closest one obvs) and shockingly she just flipped at me, and me being the short-tempered person I am just started to argue, cos this is my life. I don't wanna be a typical housewife. I wanna be an independent female who has ambitions in her life. And now my mum is against it. I'm so pissed atm I dunno what to do. Feel like dropping Sixth Form, for which I've been trying my level best for.

So any solutions on how to deal with this typical situation? Thank you in advance!
    Definitely take in what everyone else has said on this thread....I'm really sorry you're having to go through this nightmare, it must be uncomfortable and annoying for you to approach your parents about this especially when you know they'll just flip out...

Have you specifically asked them why they don't want you to go to uni? I know you said your dad thinks you're gonna come back corrupt or something, try telling him as Moonietoot already said on here, that you have a right to education. And that you are willing to stay close to home so they won't have to worry about anything....

If your parents are worried about respect and pride within the community, is there any reason for those worries? If you haven't actually done anything to break their trust, then why are they preventing you from carrying on with your education??

Is there like an imam or a close family friend or anyone who can try and reason with your parents? What about teachers at your school, like the principle?

Parents will definitely have their worries, but you need to get them to understand that you want to make your own living and get ahead in life and do something about it....you aren't doing anything wrong ok?! Understand that you have full right to go to uni and make something out of it, and you must fight for that...

Definitely talk to your parents and plead with them if they repeatedly don't listen...try and get them to come with you to see what the uni is like where you want to go...be direct with telling them exactly what you want, and make sure they know your purpose and that you won't do anything stupid and that you are mature and responsible.

PM me if you want

ReputationRep:
    Lol, you make your emotions pretty clear to everyone . Oh, we not talking about the nice person?
    Nopeeeee
    Somebody elseee
    Well right now my pehlaa pyaaar is chemistry :L

ReputationRep:
    Dude this isn't fb!
    Haha facebook is ****e :L

And it is pretty clear who gave this post a positive rating
    And many of mine negs..
    So childish haha
    Think the world revolves around you.
    Yes that is an indirect.

ReputationRep:
    Not the indirect messages AGAIN lol

ReputationRep:
    Name:  1167_10151380370652079_340070899_n.jpg
Views: 41
Size:  19.1 KB

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zeegie)
    Not the indirect messages AGAIN lol
    Sorry bhaaajiiiii :'L

ReputationRep:
    Name:  1167_10151380370652079_340070899_n.jpg
Views: 41
Size:  19.1 KB
    aryt
    i get it

ReputationRep:

And it is pretty clear who gave this post a positive rating
    And many of mine negs..
    So childish haha
    Think the world revolves around you.
    Yes that is an indirect.
    Incase this is at me, say it to me rather than indirectly cuz it makes you look a bit ****-ish. Jus sayin'

ReputationRep:
    Incase this is at me, say it to me rather than indirectly cuz it makes you look a bit ****-ish. Jus sayin'
    whats
    ****?

ReputationRep:
    the best things are unplanned

ReputationRep:
    Right I don't care if this is a public announcement.....both of you (you know who you are) please please please pleaaaaaasseeeee settle your business somehow because it is making me extremely sad and I know this has NOTHING to do with me so apologise in advance for butting in like this but yeah don't get mad or anything just for god's sake sort it out and leave it be.....don't really know what else to say but instead of eating at each other's throats just talk about it and settle the matter as people of this age do.

Peace xxx

ReputationRep:
    whats
    ****?
    So it was aimed at me. If you got something to say, say it to ME. Don't do what pussies do.

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 4, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
    US study forum

Accommodation profiles:

iQ Student Accommodation

iQ Student Accommodation

Great value student rooms in city centre locations all across the UK

X1 Lettings

X1 Lettings

Luxury student accommodation in Liverpool & Manchester.

Collegiate Accommodation

Collegiate Accommodation

"This is student living. Just better."

Scape Student Living

Study Inn

Providing stunning high quality, boutique student accommodation throughout the UK

The Student Housing Company

The Student Housing Company

Award-winning student accommodation - voted by 22,000 students.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.