The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by de_monies
Well, the only real negative is that people know you're British, so try and charge you more, so you need a Pakistani to come with you, and if you're in town, the poor people know you're British and assume you have unlimited money (I wish I did, and then I could give it)

My portable DVD player got nicked by some decorators but that was more out of my own stupidity, more than any thing else. They must have thought "Oh he's British. He can get another one"

I was asked for money at the airport by a security guard and also by the person that stamps the passport and then checks your baggage in. Very negative attitude towards the british. Borne out of jealousy, they are desperate to come here.
Original post by Warlord
I lived in murree, loved it, not arguing about that. But you cant just use the example of the main cities and paint that as the whole picture of how pakistan is. Its mainly like the slums in mumbai tbh. I said around, not the actual bazaar lol, housing wise. Yes, g-6 does, not the rest of it.
And well then dont you think its abit worrying if people feel the need to have security guards? Who here would do that?

Exactly. And you can't use the example of Quetta and Mirpur. Okay I'm not going to say anything else about it, but when I go to Pakistan and if I remember this, I'll take pictures and send them to you guys.

Security guards are mostly people showing off, honestly. That's why my dad has never kept them. Even when he was an important part of the government.
Original post by Revent
Well, I'm proper dark and stuff, like a tamil innit so that's not an issue :tongue: and I guess that sorta makes sense, but if I stick to the rich peoples areas in Pakistan and stay away from the poor people, I'd be safer, wouldn't I? :laugh: or maybe all those kidnappers are the rich ones :eek:

They're crazy criminals who I don't want to meet :lol:

Oh fair enough. Maybe not then for you. Nah, you should be fine, as long as you stick with family

Original post by AlligatorSky
They can tell you're well fed? Really? Can they see the M&S tags through your stomach?

I'm a Pathan, I'm not Pathan white, but I'm lighter than the average Pakistani, and every Pakistan in my class here. How come I've never been considered British or American?

Maybe it's your accent? I know an Indian girl. Born and raised in India. Moved to the UK not long ago. I could swear blind she's British, but she's Indian

Sorry if I phrased it wrong. It's just that in Kashmir, there is a lot of poverty, and you can clearly tell if someone is starving, or if someone has been well fed. And I guess we wore some more expensive clothes, and sunglasses. The locals don't seem to wear sunglasses :tongue:
Original post by Revent
Because you already know people and friends there and go to those parties where people go and drink for the sake of drinking and not to get drunk? :lol: Or do drugs for the sake of it but not to get high. :mmm: I know if I take drugs, I wanna get high :rofl: Not do it for the sake of it :lol:

Still even when I go to random villages. They never ever have mistaken me for a foreigner.

Really? There is a massive divide in rich and poor in Pakistan (and India for that regard), and lots of people do live on less than $3/day

And I have noticed that people from the UK are just that bit.. lighter?

I doubt we're lighter than them, we're the same people and only about 2 generations away from them. Also don't forget there are lot's of different shades of colour there.
They're crazy criminals who I don't want to meet :lol:

Oh fair enough. Maybe not then for you. Nah, you should be fine, as long as you stick with family

Maybe it's your accent? I know an Indian girl. Born and raised in India. Moved to the UK not long ago. I could swear blind she's British, but she's Indian

Sorry if I phrased it wrong. It's just that in Kashmir, there is a lot of poverty, and you can clearly tell if someone is starving, or if someone has been well fed. And I guess we wore some more expensive clothes, and sunglasses. The locals don't seem to wear sunglasses :tongue:

I've got an American accent, what difference does that make?

Yes yes, you're very cool
Reply 9626

Oh my family there are *****, ****ing *****. I really don't ever want to see any of their faces :smile:

My uncle is going next week, I'm really contemplating just booking a flight and going if possible :tongue: idk if it's safe though or worth the money. :tongue:
Reply 9627
Still even when I go to random villages. They never ever have mistaken me for a foreigner.

Maybe because you speak fluent Urdu? :tongue:
Original post by Phantom Lord
I doubt we're lighter than them, we're the same people and only about 2 generations away from them. Also don't forget there are lot's of different shades of colour there.

You make sense. :yy:
Original post by Revent

I don't have a perfect Urdu accent. It has it's Pathaness and Americaness people say. But yes it's probably better than yours.

So that's settled. Don't talk and you'll be fine in Pakistan.
Reply 9630
I don't have a perfect Urdu accent. It has it's Pathaness and Americaness people say. But yes it's probably better than yours.

So that's settled. Don't talk and you'll be fine in Pakistan.

Yeah, but I wanna talk to people! :lol: Oh and I don't wear fake designer clothes so I think I'll stand out in that aspect as well :tongue:
Original post by Revent

Was just about to write this myself, yeah, this is the ****ing reason, we sound like absolute **** :tongue:

I've got an American accent, what difference does that make?

Yes yes, you're very cool

Oh, a lot. Most of the world learn American English, and I guess you even picked up on the accent. Most international schools have their students talk in an American accent

Hey, I'm the guy with the photophobia remember. I *have* to wear sunglasses. I'd honestly rather not, because it means I need them in the snow :frown:

Original post by Revent
Oh my family there are *****, ****ing *****. I really don't ever want to see any of their faces :smile:

My uncle is going next week, I'm really contemplating just booking a flight and going if possible :tongue: idk if it's safe though or worth the money. :tongue:

Oh. Sorry to hear that
Original post by Revent
Yeah, but I wanna talk to people! :lol: Oh and I don't wear fake designer clothes so I think I'll stand out in that aspect as well :tongue:

Funny thing is, I saw more Pakistanis there that donned fake designer clothes. I mean, it's so hot for any western clothes!
Original post by Revent

You can don't worry. And good job Revent, you always make me proud. :')
But people in Islamabad wear real designer stuff. Don't forget your LV loafers. :wink:

Oh, a lot. Most of the world learn American English, and I guess you even picked up on the accent. Most international schools have their students talk in an American accent

Hey, I'm the guy with the photophobia remember. I *have* to wear sunglasses. I'd honestly rather not, because it means I need them in the snow :frown:

I've lived in America and went to American schools.

It doesn't snow much in Pakistan, remember?
Reply 9635
Funny thing is, I saw more Pakistanis there that donned fake designer clothes. I mean, it's so hot for any western clothes!

Yeah, obviously, how many can exactly afford a real pair of LV's and whatnot? :lol: I actually have a pair of fake (or stolen) Nikes which I bought for £20 :mmm: But everything else I have is real and I paid good hard earned money for my Hugo Boss coat, gloves and all that :tongue:

Original post by Warlord
Was just about to write this myself, yeah, this is the ****ing reason, we sound like absolute **** :tongue:

Well, Urdu was my first language, so I can't be THAT bad :colondollar:
Reply 9636
You can don't worry. And good job Revent, you always make me proud. :')
But people in Islamabad wear real designer stuff. Don't forget your LV loafers. :wink:

I've lived in America and went to American schools.

It doesn't snow much in Pakistan, remember?

How do you know they wear real stuff? Do they actually have LV/Prada/Boss shops and what not in Pakistan? :eek:
Exactly. And you can't use the example of Quetta and Mirpur. Okay I'm not going to say anything else about it, but when I go to Pakistan and if I remember this, I'll take pictures and send them to you guys.

Security guards are mostly people showing off, honestly. That's why my dad has never kept them. Even when he was an important part of the government.

Picturesss :smile:
We spoke via pm a few weeks ago about similar topics I think, sound logic, I just got a little angry earlier, but you are also correct.
Original post by Revent
How do you know they wear real stuff? Do they actually have LV/Prada/Boss shops and what not in Pakistan? :eek:

No, but you have some stores that sell designer stuff (Twice the price, of course) And I don't have any friend who hasn't been outside of Pakistan just for shopping purposes. But these are the people who I'm sure wear real stuff.

You get those Pindi boys wearing fake Dolce and Gabbana, but it's very easy to tell fakes from originals.
Original post by Warlord
Picturesss :smile:
We spoke via pm a few weeks ago about similar topics I think, sound logic, I just got a little angry earlier, but you are also correct.

Yes, we'll make a whatsApp group then AlligatorSky's proof of security in Pakistan. :')
And I understand, I got pretty angry too because I'm just trying to tell you guys that Pakistan is not the way it's portrayed.
But then again, I apologize if I was rude at any point or offended anyone.

Latest

Trending

Trending