Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I've realised more and more that I need traditional braces as opposed to Invisalign. But with no sound, honest advice from my dental surgeon/orthodontist(s), it is hard to know if it is a risk or not.

Whenever I go for a consultation with an orthodontist I feel like they are just pitching to me what they want to pitch to me, regardless of whether or not it is the right thing for me. So often I will get pitched Invisalign yet I know all along that Invisalign is not right for my teeth (and my 2 dental surgeons I visited backed this). Sometimes the orthodontist will just lay out various price plans for invisalign and traditional braces. I just feel like they're trying to bag a sale - and of course with this being an expensive outlay (especially for a young person like myself at 22), it's not something that I can afford to make a mistake with. So I feel I can't trust anybody.

Lately I've come round to the idea of a 6 month traditional brace. Cheaper, shorter time frame. Maybe it won't be as perfect compared to wearing a brace for 18 months but I'm still thinking it might be worth going for that. But how do you measure whether or not that is right for you when you're getting told various things from various people?

Either way it's something I'm considering but I appreciate it is a short time frame especially as my bottom set of teeth are very crowded. However I've read a few things about people with bad teeth having a 6 month brace and getting it sorted.

I just wanted to hear if people have had experience with 6 month braces and how effective they are? Whether it is a risk to go with that timeframe if your teeth are quite crowded? The only reason I'm getting braces really is because my gums are very very sore due to the crowding of my lower set and according to my dentist, plaque getting into my gums which is the reason for the pain. My top set though are fine, apart from a slight crossover of the middle 2. Otherwise it is straight and fine. I suppose if I could straighten my lower set somewhat, maybe not perfect and straighten the top 2 middle teeth then maybe that's fine?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Parx)
    I've realised more and more that I need traditional braces as opposed to Invisalign. But with no sound, honest advice from my dental surgeon/orthodontist(s), it is hard to know if it is a risk or not.

Whenever I go for a consultation with an orthodontist I feel like they are just pitching to me what they want to pitch to me, regardless of whether or not it is the right thing for me. So often I will get pitched Invisalign yet I know all along that Invisalign is not right for my teeth (and my 2 dental surgeons I visited backed this). Sometimes the orthodontist will just lay out various price plans for invisalign and traditional braces. I just feel like they're trying to bag a sale - and of course with this being an expensive outlay (especially for a young person like myself at 22), it's not something that I can afford to make a mistake with. So I feel I can't trust anybody.

Lately I've come round to the idea of a 6 month traditional brace. Cheaper, shorter time frame. Maybe it won't be as perfect compared to wearing a brace for 18 months but I'm still thinking it might be worth going for that. But how do you measure whether or not that is right for you when you're getting told various things from various people?

Either way it's something I'm considering but I appreciate it is a short time frame especially as my bottom set of teeth are very crowded. However I've read a few things about people with bad teeth having a 6 month brace and getting it sorted.

I just wanted to hear if people have had experience with 6 month braces and how effective they are? Whether it is a risk to go with that timeframe if your teeth are quite crowded? The only reason I'm getting braces really is because my gums are very very sore due to the crowding of my lower set and according to my dentist, plaque getting into my gums which is the reason for the pain. My top set though are fine, apart from a slight crossover of the middle 2. Otherwise it is straight and fine. I suppose if I could straighten my lower set somewhat, maybe not perfect and straighten the top 2 middle teeth then maybe that's fine?
    maybe go to a different orthondontist? also its not usually up to the patient how long they wear braces for beacuse you never know beforehand how long it will take for the teeth to straighten. however you maybe be able to arrange more frequent tightening.

ReputationRep:
    Surely you can get an NHS orthodontist, even if only for a look over? Personally I wouldn't get a 6 month brace; even if it can do the moving in that time it must be more liekly to move back afterwards?
    I had fairly good teeth but got a brace for about 12 months (I got the bottom ones on first but the top ones off last for some reason) which really wasn't that big a deal. Also I managed to get it on the NHS because of a tooth deformity further back that apparently entitled me to any orthodontics I wanted. And this was all at a private dentist

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 5, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.