The Student Room Group

International student

(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Chaitoo
Hello, this is my first post on the forum.

I am applying to VetMed this year, but I am not sure which schools I should apply to. I have already decided Glasgow and Edinburgh. I have heard great things about Nottingham, but unsure which to pick.

Since I am applying as an international student I have contacted an agency which will help me with more or less everything. They say that I should specific why I want to study at that particular university. How would applying to more than one university affect my PS?

Most applicants in the UK apply to 4 vet schools, which is the maximum possible. You will need to apply through the UCAS website, so I wouldn't say this will affect your PS. You do not need to mention why you want to study at x uni in your PS.

All vet schools are good - other options are Liverpool and RVC in London. Have a look on their websites to learn about the uni and also read about the city you would prefer to live in (e.g. Nottingham's campus is away from Nottingham whereas Liverpool you are living in the city for 3 years, followed by 2 years in the countryside (similar for RVC).

There is also one problem that has come to mind a lot lately. Why not just apply here in my own country? I got more than good enough grades, it will not cost half a fortune, and since am a boy I get extra "scholar points". I am pretty much guaranteed a spot. Is there anything that is so great with studying in Britain compared to other countries?

I would do the easiest option and study in your home country is you are guaranteed a place. I am not sure what the competition is like here for international students.

As to why studying in the UK is better that is really down to you - do you want to work in the UK after graduation? Perhaps you would like to live further from home and discover a new country?

It is hard to compare vet schools between countries as no one has studied at both! I have heard that in Europe, some are easy to get into but are difficult once you get there ie there is a very high drop out rate. In the UK, it is the opposite ie there is such a large selection process for UK nationals that it is difficult to get in, but once you get there it is virtually impossible to fail a year unless you decide this career is not for you and quit or you are very ill/ another situation arises which impedes your studies. I am not sure if this is the same for Norway or not.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 2
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Chaitoo
The problem I have with the vet school here in Norway is the same as you mention for the UK schools, but the entry requirements are so ridiculously low( You can get in with mostly Bs and a few As). That is what I have heard from the vets I work with, and a few students.

I always wanted to move to another country, and hopefully also have a career abroad.

A quick question. Here in Norway they look at your average grade score. Is that the case for the schools in UK, or do they only look at the scientific subjects? Example if I got B in Spanish and history, would ruin anything?

In the UK all vets schools ask for AAA or higher at A level (or whatever is your end of high school qualification) , including Biology and Chemistry. They might be more lenient on foreign students because you would pay higher fees but you should refer to individual websites for the unis you wish to apply to for their requirements and, if in doubt, give them a phone call or email.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending