Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Quick query - Scots LLB student seeking English TC - When? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Quick query -

I am a Scots LLB student (2nd year), hoping to secure a TC in England after I graduate. I've been on a few firms' grad websites - law students generally apply for TCs in their penultimate year.

However, it is a bit more complicated with Scots law students as I would have to do the GDL (with a few exemptions) and the LPC - so when would I actually apply for a TC, and for what date of entry? If I apply in my third year (my penultimate year as Scots LLB degrees are four years) then will I not have to defer my TC for a year if I was successful, owing to the need for me to complete the GDL and LPC?

Thanks for any advice

ReputationRep:
    Apply in your final year

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LexiswasmyNexis)
    Apply in your final year

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Just a quick question to a fellow Scots LLB student!

Did you go to school in Scotland? And if so, what do you make of the academic requirements for TCs in terms of Scottish exams? All firms specifying UCAS points at A levels only....

Trying to shed some light on what that equates to in terms of higher / advanced highers!

Thanks!

L

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lizzie2187)
    Just a quick question to a fellow Scots LLB student!

Did you go to school in Scotland? And if so, what do you make of the academic requirements for TCs in terms of Scottish exams? All firms specifying UCAS points at A levels only....

Trying to shed some light on what that equates to in terms of higher / advanced highers!

Thanks!

L
    Hey

Yeah I went to school in Scotland also - I know that some firms' application forms can be a bit inflexible with regards to Scottish secondary qualifications as most are online now. I think we'd be fine as we meet the requirements in terms of UCAS points Are you applying for TCs at the moment?

ReputationRep:
    I am indeed applying for TCS! Are you?! How are you getting on?

In terms of UCAS points though, how do you calculate them in relation to highers / AHs? If you added them all together would be a ridiculously high score, so i'm guessing they must take either highers of AHs, or all taken in first sitting in 5th year etc.

L

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lizzie2187)
    I am indeed applying for TCS! Are you?! How are you getting on?

In terms of UCAS points though, how do you calculate them in relation to highers / AHs? If you added them all together would be a ridiculously high score, so i'm guessing they must take either highers of AHs, or all taken in first sitting in 5th year etc.

L
    Hey

I'm not at the moment, only in 2nd year but just trying to start my research just now so that I can focus my applications for Vac schemes in the summer

How are you getting on with your TCs apps?

Erm I don't think it will be an issue for us...most firms I've seen have a 340 UCAS points cut off so this would be met regardless of whether we just counted our highers or AHs. Where are you applying to?

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 9, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.