Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Ok, so basically my first two years of sixth form didn't go very well at all. I was unwell for most of the last year and ended up with grades much lower than I was predicted. I therefore decided to take a third year at a local college and I'm now I'm on track to achieve A*A*A*. I applied to Cambridge under the encouragement of my English tutor and I found the place, the university, the course and the people to be amazing. It seemed like a dream come true. Every other university I've looked at failed in comparison. However, I didn't get in. Now I just feel awful. I'm not sure yet whether it was my previous performance or my interview (which wasn't perfect due to the fact that I was very nervous.) but I'm going to enquire about it. I'm so upset, so many people seemed to think I'd be the one who'd make it. I can't see myself being happy anywhere else. My tutor suggested that I maybe take a year out and apply again next year with my grades but I'm reluctant to do that as I'll be 20 then when I start university and theres the likelihood it could happen again. Then again, I really don't feel I'll be happy in other universities. I'm really not sure what to do. Help?!?

ReputationRep:
    I'm going to keep it short and blunt. Life's not perfect, get used to it.

ReputationRep:
    Depends entirely on where you've viewed.
    Is there no other University's that you could be possibly interested in?
    Perhaps research them?
    Furthermore, I can sympathise with your disappointment, but like anything, it may look really good but being there may not be to your taste.

At the end of the day, I wouldn't put my life on hold for it. I am sure there is another University, that would suit your needs.
    Additionally, it's only three years. I am aware that it is a relatively long period, but it'll fly past very quickly!

ReputationRep:
    Long story short, No, you shouldn't. Or at least, I wouldn't.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by taduma)
    NEED A TUTOR?
    With all due respect, I don't think advertising on TSR is permitted. And the spreading of your personal contact details/phone number is highly advised against.

All the very best though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NoSpeakNewSpeak)
    Ok, so basically my first two years of sixth form didn't go very well at all. I was unwell for most of the last year and ended up with grades much lower than I was predicted. I therefore decided to take a third year at a local college and I'm now I'm on track to achieve A*A*A*. I applied to Cambridge under the encouragement of my English tutor and I found the place, the university, the course and the people to be amazing. It seemed like a dream come true. Every other university I've looked at failed in comparison. However, I didn't get in. Now I just feel awful. I'm not sure yet whether it was my previous performance or my interview (which wasn't perfect due to the fact that I was very nervous.) but I'm going to enquire about it. I'm so upset, so many people seemed to think I'd be the one who'd make it. I can't see myself being happy anywhere else. My tutor suggested that I maybe take a year out and apply again next year with my grades but I'm reluctant to do that as I'll be 20 then when I start university and theres the likelihood it could happen again. Then again, I really don't feel I'll be happy in other universities. I'm really not sure what to do. Help?!?
    Hi, I know it's easier said that done but you mustn't be too disheartened - remember that there are loads of applicants with absolutely amazing grades that have been turned down by Cambridge and Oxford. If you genuinely believe you deserve a place at Cambridge, then I think it would be worth you taking a year out - you could do something worthwhile like volunteer and try or gain some good work experience. Basically do things which will look good in your personal statement. And don't worry about how old you'll be when you start uni, I'm on a gap-year and I'll be 20 when I start uni next September, there's loads of other people who will be in the same boat as you.
    Good luck! I hope you get an offer from Cambridge next time round, but if you don't, believe that it's all for a reason

ReputationRep:
    I don't think it's that strange to be starting uni at 20? I've turned 20 in my first year, and my friend has just turned 21, and she's in her first year (three years of A levels, and then she deferred a year!) and neither of us find in particularly weird. A number of my friends are in there twenties, and honestly I don't think many people notice. And when you've got an 80 year old on your course, it kinda makes age seem less relevant!
    If you really think that Cambridge is where you really want to be, then I'd say try again. If you're doing your January and summer exams with the prospect of going somewhere you don't really want to, are you going to achieve your best? I know I didn't :/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NoSpeakNewSpeak)
    x
    I don't think your age should deter you from taking another gap year. I will be 20 in freshers, simply because I'm an autumn baby and am on a gap year, so you're lucky in that respect since you can take 2 years out and still be 20 in freshers. The bigger issue is that it's statistically likely that you will be rejected again. Taking 3 years to do the A-Levels will still be noted even if you've got the grades and taking 2 years out will leave you with a very weird looking CV in the future unless you gain some very valuable work experience. My advice to you is just visit all your other choices where you're successful and just go for one of them. I felt very similar to you, when I got rejected. It's harsh, but you really will get over it eventually. It's good to have some perspective also. I know people with flawless academics 10 A*s at GCSEs A*A*A* at A2 who are able to be perfectly fulfilled at other leading universities such as LSE, UCL and Imperial. Just don't let it become an unhealthy obsession Just envisage getting rejected again. The prospect of going to another university would be even more unattractive than it is now. It might be wise to consider going to your second choice, and re-applying to Cambridge whilst you're there, and in that case you wouldn't need to do the second gap year unless you were successful and you could drop out in January.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.