Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Do you think a gym membership is very important in losing weight and toning up Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Or do you think it can be done just as effectively at home? The reason I ask is that I have a gym membership, but I'm a bit lacking in funds at the minute, so that extra £30 may be spent better elsewhere if possible

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by daisy924)
    Or do you think it can be done just as effectively at home? The reason I ask is that I have a gym membership, but I'm a bit lacking in funds at the minute, so that extra £30 may be spent better elsewhere if possible
    Not at all. Go jogging, ride a bike, do situps in your bedroom etc. Theres all different alternatives other than going to the gym

ReputationRep:
    No. It's ideal because free weights are hard to use without a gym and that's the best way to lose weight really, but it's not necessary at all.

ReputationRep:
    No, jog on.

ReputationRep:
    Depends on your goald and what you do in the gym. If all a person does in the gym is cardio then yes you can do cardio without a gym membership. However if one wants to lift heavy or build muscle a gym membership is best.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Not necessary to lose weight, but i think if u wann build ur ideal body and become bigger and muscular then ur propbly gonna need a gym

ReputationRep:
    I just want to lose weight, about a stone, and then just generally tone up, I don't wanna get big and muscular

ReputationRep:
    I just want to lose weight, about a stone, and then just generally tone up, I don't wanna get big and muscular
    In that case, just do something outside e.g running, cycling, sport etc.

If you want to lift weights I'd say again it's not essential but much, much more practical and probably cheaper.

ReputationRep:
    RUN

ReputationRep:
    You won't get big and muscular by lifting a few weights every now and then.
    By just turning into a cardio bunny and losing weight, you'll end up with lose skin which will be a pain in the ass to deal with.

How do you expect to generally tone up? :holmes:

ReputationRep:
    You can do everything you need to do in your own space; GYM is just a gimmick imo.

ReputationRep:
    important but not essential. depends on your goals.

ReputationRep:
    It's hard enough for guys to get big and muscular. You don't expect to walk into a gym and pick up a barbell and get ripped, especially as a girl do you? To get the toned look you're going to need to lift weights - properly, not 100 reps of bicep curls.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by UKBrah)
    You won't get big and muscular by lifting a few weights every now and then.
    By just turning into a cardio bunny and losing weight, you'll end up with lose skin which will be a pain in the ass to deal with.

How do you expect to generally tone up? :holmes:
    Can I not just buy some dumbbells, an exercise ball and few other things, and strength train at home?

ReputationRep:
    Can I not just buy some dumbbells, an exercise ball and few other things, and strength train at home?
    Course you can.
    If you're serious about doing this, make sure you have a diet in place.

80% happens in the kitchen, 10% happens in bed and the remainder is excersise itself.

ReputationRep:
    Depends on the size of the weights. You need to get dumbells big enough that you can only do a couple of reps with. Also within a few weeks your strength goes up and you need ti buy heavier weights as the ones you have will no longer be heavy enough.

So if you want to strength train properly you have to be willing to buy lots of dumbells and plates.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I lost a ton of weight without the gym. The most important aspect of weight loss is cardio and calorie management. Those can easily be done without the gym. When it comes to toning however, the gym I think is more needed.

I think you should shop around for cheaper gyms.

ReputationRep:
    Strength training refers to lifting heavy weight for relatively few reps, so strength programmes normally involve barbells. Also you need space for progressively heavier and heavier weights, a bench etc. It's just easier to go to the gym in my opinion.

ReputationRep:
    I have lost weight more than once without ever having stepped in a gym. BUT given this weather and thinking it might be alright, I joined a new gym that opened in my town last month, and honestly I hate it. I knew I wouldn't like it and it's only because of that fact that I've paid that I drag myself there (one month only thank god) but it's just so DEPRESSING. people pounding away in silence to noisy machines, no one talking, nothing to see, the smell of sweat, the odd perv...

There are benefits to using a gym obviously but I always feel more worn out by a long outdoor run or cycle than the gym session :dontknow: unless you REALLY enjoy the gym, doing your own thing is better. Stretch and lift things at home, put your trainers on and embrace the outdoors for cardio. The weight will drop off, good luck.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.