Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    To start off with, I know very little about this topic at all. I'd be grateful if some of you can answer these -

Is entropy and the size of a molecule related?

Does entropy of a gas increase with temperature rise in a closed environment?

Does entropy of a gas increase with temperature rise in an open environment?

Does entropy of a liquid increase with temperature rise... at all?

In a chemical reaction, why do molecules disfavour low[er] values of entropy?

How do you measure entropy?

How do you destroy entropy?

Thanks very much =D
    • Community Assistant
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Study Helper
    (Original post by Another)
    To start off with, I know very little about this topic at all. I'd be grateful if some of you can answer these -

Is entropy and the size of a molecule related?
    yes

Does entropy of a gas increase with temperature rise in a closed environment?
    yes
    Does entropy of a gas increase with temperature rise in an open environment?
    yes
    Does entropy of a liquid increase with temperature rise... at all?
    yes
    In a chemical reaction, why do molecules disfavour low[er] values of entropy?
    they don't ...
    How do you measure entropy?
    There are several methods employed, usually involving equilibria at which the Gibbs free energy change is zero and ΔH = TΔS

It is measured in Joules per Kelvin
    How do you destroy entropy?

Thanks very much =D
    You cannot, it is a measure of the random nature of matter ...

i.e. disorder.

ReputationRep:
    Sounds like you need Chapter 2 of 'Why Chemical Reactions Happen' by Keeler & Wothers!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Chemical-Rea...7400840&sr=8-2

If you read just one book in 2013, it should be this.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the help!

And Doctor, you are a deity, I swear.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: January 5, 2013
Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.