Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Are there intellectual differences among different races? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aj12)
    As someone who has studied the subject pretty extensively I can tell you that is really not the case. Colonialism pushed economies into being dependent on one or two cash crops causing huge economic damage when the prices of these crops dropped. Built infrastructure that was only useful for exploitation, and built much of this with forced labour in some cases leading to hundreds perhaps thousands of deaths. Much of the technology was kept in the hands of the colonial authorities or run by colonial officials rather than indigenous people. Medicine was a joke whilst there was vaccination programs in places like the old Gold Coast hospitals and the best medical facilities were only for whites with very few hospitals and doctors for the local population. Colonialism led to populations being divided up, creation of artificial borders has led to some of the worst wars in Africa.

Then to cap it all when colonial powers left especially the French they made sure to dismantle the administrative facilities so as to do maximum damage to the incoming independent government, to the point where phones were ripped out of walls in certain countries. The legacy of colonialism has done a hell of a lot of harm and cannot be over looked when considering why Africa has not developed very well. Again emphasis added on to the word LEGACY of colonialism

As I said as well the environment must be considered as well. The abundance of good arable land in Europe was key to its development. The lack of good farm land in parts of Africa is one reason its held back.
    I find what you are saying very interesting (and correct). Did you watch the poverty series on the bbc? It went into how european colonisation affected african economies and the problems with the current aid given to africa. It went into how the european capitalist model actually creates massive disparities in wealth and creates a far bigger gap between rich and poor. Apparently both colonisation, the african economies were far more inclusive and involved a far greater amount of the populations than what you found in europe. Can you reccomend any books about the information you previously mentioned. I want to read into the topic.

ReputationRep:
    Its not too much of a stretch to say that there probably are differences in intelligence between difference races of people. Just look at the olympics and you'll know that west african origin guys are the best sprinters, east african origin people are the best distance runners, whites and east asians are the best swimmers (I've actually never seen a black guy on the medals podium in swimming), etc etc etc.

Its evolution. If you have various groups of people (going back several generations) all living in different parts of the world from each other, its not surprising to find that they've developed slightly different body structures and therefore physical abilities. You see this in animals that are part of the same broader 'group', like dogs, monkeys, cats, fish, etc. So its not too outlandish to suggest that these differences also apply to the brain, which would infer a difference in intelligence or other functions of the brain.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sphinx_5494)
    I find what you are saying very interesting (and correct). Did you watch the poverty series on the bbc? It went into how european colonisation affected african economies and the problems with the current aid given to africa. It went into how the european capitalist model actually creates massive disparities in wealth and creates a far bigger gap between rich and poor. Apparently both colonisation, the african economies were far more inclusive and involved a far greater amount of the populations than what you found in europe. Can you reccomend any books about the information you previously mentioned. I want to read into the topic.
    Did't see that program although it sounds rather interesting, haven't read it myself but one of my lecturers recommended this book for anything on colonialism A. Adu Boahen, African Perspectives on European Colonialism. K. Nkrumah, Africa Must Unite is quite a good one laying out a lot of the damage done by colonialism and talks about some of the supposed benefits. Look up an author called Walter Rodney as well. He's a Marxist author I disagree with many of the conclusions he makes since he basically turns into an apologist for any regime that is not capitalist but he also writes a lot about the damage done by colonialism.

(Original post by The Islander)
    I disagree completely. Africa today uses technology contributed to the continent by Europe, they use an infrastructure left by europeans, they feed themselves using agricultural techniques contributed by Europe.

I completely disagree with you
    So you really do not think colonialism has in any way shape or form done any lasting damage to Africa or held back its development?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aj12)
    Did't see that program although it sounds rather interesting, haven't read it myself but one of my lecturers recommended this book for anything on colonialism A. Adu Boahen, African Perspectives on European Colonialism. K. Nkrumah, Africa Must Unite is quite a good one laying out a lot of the damage done by colonialism and talks about some of the supposed benefits. Look up an author called Walter Rodney as well. He's a Marxist author I disagree with many of the conclusions he makes since he basically turns into an apologist for any regime that is not capitalist but he also writes a lot about the damage done by colonialism.

So you really do not think colonialism has in any way shape or form done any lasting damage to Africa or held back its development?
    I wouldn't bother with the other commentator. He seems to be one of those people who used UNICEF adverts to acquire information on Africa, without any additional reading or research whatsoever.

Also, the tv series went into poverty around the world, e.g. US, africa etc. Would definately recommend it. Here's a link if you are interested http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01pblv4

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aj12)

Nope, colonialism catapulted Africa thousands of years into the 19th / 20th century

ReputationRep:
    Colonialism did NOT hold back Africa.

Colonialism advanced Africa. Before Africa was colonised subs sharan Africans were living in the stone age.

Colonialism introduced modern science, engineering, industry, technology, infrastructure, medicine, knowledge.
    And today Africa is nothing more than countries fighting each other and very less developed countries competing for resources.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Nope, colonialism catapulted Africa thousands of years into the 19th / 20th century
    I'd suggest doing some proper research then since your level of ignorance on the subject its quite shocking.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thomaskurian89)
    "White" countries (US, UK, Australia, Norway etc.) and "East Asian" countries (Singapore, South Korea, Japan, Taiwan) seem to be more developed than "Black" countries (African countries) or "South Asian" countries (India, Pakistan, Afghanistan, Sri Lanka etc.) If there were intellectual differences among the races, that would explain this difference in development.

Many academics claim that there are no intellectual differences among races. However, I suspect this is actually due to a deep-seated fear that claiming otherwise will inevitably lead to racism, which I don't think is completely valid.

What are your thoughts? (Don't neg for no reason; I'm Indian for what it's worth.)
    If you said that less developed countries are less intelligent then you're implying causality in that less intelligence has led to less money being put into that country and that being less developed. But you could flip it the other way and say because certain countries have less money (not through lack of intelligence) then they have less money to spend on educational facilities to further people's intelligence. So what came first, no money to spend on education, or not enough intelligence to fund better education? I don't think there's any way you will ever be able to tell which factor causes the other. It's also kinda naive to put something this controversial and ask for no negs! Personally, I think you're wrong. I think some people (from whichever country they may come from) are just more intelligent than others. This may be inherited from intelligent ancestors or maybe they've just been fortunate enough to have had the opportunities to enhance their intelligence. Either way, you get smart people every where in the same way you get people who act like they have no brain. I really don't think culture affects intelligence, just perhaps how that intelligence is used and if they have the facilities to further your intelligence and give you a better job.

ReputationRep:
    The inferiority complex in you is strong, young padwan.

South Asia boasts quite a few nobel laureates, you do know that?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Marshall)
    And today Africa is nothing more than countries fighting each other and very less developed countries competing for resources.
    That has nothing to do with us. For christ sake they are accountable for their own actions

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aj12)
    I'd suggest doing some proper research then since your level of ignorance on the subject its quite shocking.
    I would advise you to do some research as your ignorance is shocking (see what I did there). calling people ignorant is not an argument.
    • PS Helper
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thomaskurian89)
    Don't neg for no reason

Didn't want to neg you, because I guess you're only asking to learn more about something.

The reasons behind different cultural development can be traced back to numerous influences, very little of them racial. Natural land defences and economic resources being some examples.

Strange that you haven't considered the fact that at one point, the white races were seen as animals by the darker skinned Mediterranean 'race'. I know that in India there is a cultural bombardment that lighter skinned is better, but it's really not based on anything other than lingering idiocy.

ReputationRep:
    That has nothing to do with us. For christ sake they are accountable for their own actions
    It has everything to do with Europe. Nearly most of Europe colonised the whole part of Africa, its a ruin hole compared to Europe.
    • PS Helper
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    :lolwut:

What on earth are you on about?

Are you trying to say that colonialism rapidly advanced the cultures, presumably from tribal to cities? It's probably best if I clarify what you were trying to say before pointing out how very mistaken you are

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Marshall)
    It has everything to do with Europe. Nearly most of Europe colonised the whole part of Africa, its a ruin hole compared to Europe.
    Its a ruined hole because of corruption, rampant over population. European gave Africa everything and Africa could have been a sucess.

Africans destroyed Africa not Europeans.

Lokk at Zimbabwe for christ sake, this country was prosperous and was considered Africas breadbasket because it fed half the continent. look what happened once they gained independance, thwey destroyed everything that Europeans had done

ReputationRep:
    Assuming that:
    1) We don't wish to completely dismantle (or derail) the concept of "race", and accept the concept
    2) We believe the humans underwent evolution of some kind

then we should be very surprised if there are no behavioural, intellectual, perceptual or otherwise psychological differences between the races. Our brains are arguably our species' greatest asset and what lets us survive in so many different regions in the first place - it would be extremely strange if there had been no variation there during our evolution, don't you think?

It's pretty easy to think of ways that different broad personality traits and psychological dispositions could lead to a survival advantage in different climates and environments.

ReputationRep:
    Its a ruined hole because of corruption, rampant over population. European gave Africa everything and Africa could have been a sucess.

Lokk at Zimbabwe for christ sake, this country was prosperous and was considered Africas breadbasket because it fed half the continent. look what happened once they gained independance, thwey destroyed everything that Europeans had done
    I don't think people are trying to say that africans aren't accountable, but you seem to be proposing that europe has nothing to do with the current situation. Obviously what happened in Zimbabwe is horrible, but look how it became so prosperous (not through the inclusion of all people in Zimbabwe).

ReputationRep:

lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jack93o)
    Its not too much of a stretch to say that there probably are differences in intelligence between difference races of people. Just look at the olympics and you'll know that west african origin guys are the best sprinters, east african origin people are the best distance runners, whites and east asians are the best swimmers (I've actually never seen a black guy on the medals podium in swimming), etc etc etc.

Its evolution. If you have various groups of people (going back several generations) all living in different parts of the world from each other, its not surprising to find that they've developed slightly different body structures and therefore physical abilities. You see this in animals that are part of the same broader 'group', like dogs, monkeys, cats, fish, etc. So its not too outlandish to suggest that these differences also apply to the brain, which would infer a difference in intelligence or other functions of the brain.
    Maybe in Africa, water, let alone a swimming pool is scarce. You think they want to chlorinate water when they barely have enough to drink?
    I think your analogy is poor at best. Intellect is something that is easily taught and in low-income areas education isn't always as valued. When someone is brought up in a middle/upper class, they have access to resources that many others don't so they can appear more intelligent

ReputationRep:

The first point, I agree with. Second, no. Europeans fully used their racial instincts over Africans. They looted India, Africa and many other countries. They never gave Africans high job posts, nor any sort of role that a white man would have done, so no, the Europeans are responsible for the destruction of Africa. Africa had a far more interesting civilization then the Europeans and they fully misunderstood them. I'm sorry but your attempt to defend European honor is fully laughable.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.