Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What should you put on a CV if you have no qualifications? Watch

ReputationRep:
    My boyfriend's writing his CV but left school before sitting exams, he wants to go back to college and study but in the meantime needs a job.

He's worked a few years so that section's ok but there's a big blank under qualifications. What should he put there? Thank you!

ReputationRep:
    Does he have nothing at all?

I wouldn't lie whatever he does - that can only end badly but I understand writing nothing looks bad. Maybe leave the section out completely?

ReputationRep:
    Well, you obviously don't include the heading with nothing underneath it... :erm:

ReputationRep:
    ^ ^ Well duh :rolleyes:

Just leave the section out completely, but make sure he includes a section that describes his best qualities, i.e. he is comfortable using his own initiative when working alone etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by misst911)
    My boyfriend's writing his CV but left school before sitting exams, he wants to go back to college and study but in the meantime needs a job.

He's worked a few years so that section's ok but there's a big blank under qualifications. What should he put there? Thank you!
    Just write "No qualifications, skills or assets. Nothing useful about this person whatsoever."

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fudgemuffins)
    Just write "No qualifications, skills or assets. Nothing useful about this person whatsoever."
    Come on, that's not fair. Because you have no qualifications it doesn't mean you have no skills or assets, and it certainly doesn't mean you're not useful.

I have piss poor GCSE grades. Am I useless? Some may think so, but I'm not, and i'm definitely not stupid.

ReputationRep:
    Leave the section out and have a section describing his skills, backed up by experience, etc.

For example, if he once led a team that boosted a company's turnover by 42% over a 6-month period, he could say that demonstrates his capacity for teamwork and leadership, as well as financial and mathematical aptitude.

Practical skills can be a decent substitute for formal qualifications for some jobs, especially manual labour and entry-level retail.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sabian92)
    Does he have nothing at all?

I wouldn't lie whatever he does - that can only end badly but I understand writing nothing looks bad. Maybe leave the section out completely?
    No qualifications, I thought leave it out but putting something to say he wants to go back might look better?

ReputationRep:
    No qualifications, I thought leave it out but putting something to say he wants to go back might look better?
    People don't want to hire students, because they can't put in as many hours and are more likely to quit. I'd guess the same applies to future students too, so it might be best not to mention that he wants to go back.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    He should do a skills based CV rather than using the more traditional format.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dendodge)
    People don't want to hire students, because they can't put in as many hours and are more likely to quit. I'd guess the same applies to future students too, so it might be best not to mention that he wants to go back.
    Thank you hadn't really considered that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Juno)
    He should do a skills based CV rather than using the more traditional format.
    Very useful thank you

ReputationRep:
    I would suggest still putting in the education section and putting the dates he went to school even though he didn't have any qualifications from it. Looks strange not including an education section at all. Then, make a skills based one focussing on things which are relevant for that job. Eg. teamwork, leadership etc..

ReputationRep:
    I am a full time mother but looking for work got to do a cv but have no qualifications and I don't know what to put on it x

ReputationRep:

To be honest I am more the opposite of this situation, so forgive me in advance if I am talking rubbish. From my limited experience I think he is looking more at a skills based CV?

I have included an attachment of one example to give an idea of what I mean.

(Hope it helps, but it may not. Like I said, I am more the traditional CV type).
    Attached Images
  1. File Type: pdfcv_skills_based.pdf (99.0 KB, 1187 views)

ReputationRep:
    I have included a traditional CV for a comparison.
    Attached Images
  2. File Type: pdfcv_traditional.pdf (32.7 KB, 637 views)

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.