Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Chemical reaction equation for a blend of Ethanol and Petrol Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I am struggling with a question that requires the chemical reaction of a combustion of a blend of Ethanol and Petrol. Below are the chemical equations of the cumbustion of Petrol and Ethanol on their own and I need to know the equation of the blend, containing %50 Ethanol and %50 Petrol.

Ethanol: C2H5OH + 3O2 -----> 2CO2 + 3H2O

Petrol: C8H18 + 12 1/2O2 -----> 8CO2 + 9H2O
    • Community Assistant
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mech_eng)
    Hi,

I am struggling with a question that requires the chemical reaction of a combustion of a blend of Ethanol and Petrol. Below are the chemical equations of the cumbustion of Petrol and Ethanol on their own and I need to know the equation of the blend, containing %50 Ethanol and %50 Petrol.

Ethanol: C2H5OH + 3O2 -----> 2CO2 + 3H2O

Petrol: C8H18 + 12 1/2O2 -----> 8CO2 + 9H2O
    50% by mass or volume?

ReputationRep:
    never seen a question like this.
    I would solve like empirical formula problem
    if 50% by molecular weight then
    50/(24+5+16+1)= 1.08 mol

50/((8*12) +18) = 0.44mol 0.44/0.44=1

1.08/0.44= 2.45

double mols to get 2 mols of petrol and 5 mols of ethanol

make equation 5C8H18+ 2C2H5OH +O2 -------> CO2 + H2O

balance it 5C8H18+ 2C2H5OH + 67 1/2O2 -------> 44CO2 + 51H2O

i maybe very very wrong!!!!!!

you may just have to make into one equation.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by charco)
    50% by mass or volume?
    By the mass

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mech_eng)
    By the mass
    If it is by mass, then all you need to do is convert this into a molar ratio.
    Then you can have two simultaneous basic combustion reactions (stoichiometrically adjusted according to the molar ratios). The actual mechanism may well not be so simplistic, but the end products will almost certainly be the individual combustion products.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.