Turn on thread page Beta

Who should I ask for a reference after two gap years? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I finished high school in 2011 and I'm applying to universities this year. Should I ask my high school teachers or my employer for a reference?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by uname)
    I finished high school in 2011 and I'm applying to universities this year. Should I ask my high school teachers or my employer for a reference?
    Id ask school again, they might have kept one for you!

ReputationRep:
    I'd go for your employer. Especially if the job was relevant to your degree.

If you don't then unis might think you didn't do very well at your job thus wouldn't get a good reference thus you're going back to ask your school. And as you have to put employment details down they can see what your job was. And overall unis want to educate people they think will be good in the workplace so their figures for ex-students in employment is higher for one reason.

ReputationRep:
    I asked my college for one after my two gap years. I think its an academic reference they're after, rather than one from your job?
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    An academic reference is generally better, unless your employment is really relevant to the degree you want to apply for. Ask your old college, but if they say no employment would be fine.

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.