Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I came down with a nasty illness Monday and have been off work since Tuesday. I saw my doctor yesterday and she basically said 'Take the rest of this week and next week off, go back the week after.'

I got home quite tired out from the walk, so decided to have a doze (being quick to tire is one of the symptoms of the illness) and phone my boss up later to tell him that I won't be back for another week and a half. I woke up a couple of hours later (making it about 3pm) ... and found out my mother had already done it for me.

Now, whilst she didn't say anything I wasn't about to and she had my best interests at heart (she didn't think I had the energy to do it), I can't help but feel I wish she'd let me do it myself. Am I being irrational?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Flotographer)
    I came down with a nasty illness Monday and have been off work since Tuesday. I saw my doctor yesterday and she basically said 'Take the rest of this week and next week off, go back the week after.'

I got home quite tired out from the walk, so decided to have a doze (being quick to tire is one of the symptoms of the illness) and phone my boss up later to tell him that I won't be back for another week and a half. I woke up a couple of hours later (making it about 3pm) ... and found out my mother had already done it for me.

Now, whilst she didn't say anything I wasn't about to and she had my best interests at heart (she didn't think I had the energy to do it), I can't help but feel I wish she'd let me do it myself. Am I being irrational?
    Your not being irrational but the best thing to do is leave it,it's happened now and just explain to her that it's easier if your rang em.

Also,Your boss wont mind as if you couldn't ring it adds legitimacy to your excuse(i know you were ill but i cant find a better word to put it).Just hope your mum didn't tell him that you had "a case of the sniffles"

ReputationRep:
    Ask yourself, does it really matter?

ReputationRep:
    no - but I suspect you wouldn't care as much if you weren't ill. It does make it more credible that someone else phones.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks. Far from anything else, I don't have the energy to make a big deal out of it. I doubt my boss cares who rang as long as he knows what's going on, parentlurker is probably right that I'm tired and under the weather and therefore letting little things get to me, my mother was doing what she thought best...

Off to bed again, I think. :lol:

ReputationRep:
    I doubt my boss cares who rang as long as he knows what's going on,

What if he tells everyone that you got your mum to phone in and everyone makes you the lolcow?

ReputationRep:
    My mom calls the office if she hasn't heard from me for a few days. I'm 30, I've been living in London for the past 7 years and she's done this every year.

To the OP: It could be worse.

ReputationRep:
    Depends how old you are, if you're like 34 and still living with your mother then that's just weird, no offence...

ReputationRep:
    That's a bit embarrassing.

ReputationRep:
    Am I the only one who doesn't see this as a big deal? I wouldn't mind if someone helped me do it at all. I would thank them and enjoy my rest.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

A trivial issue, at best. No entertainment value in this whatsoever.

People of 'Advice on everyday issues', can you please give us something good once in a while.

ReputationRep:
    Unless you are actually in hospital and incapable of speaking on the phone it is never acceptable for someone to phone in sick on you behalf, your instincts are correct. Managers hate it, people who aren't genuinely sick use this method routinely to avoid confrontation!

Personal advice is point that out to your mum, she obviously meant well but you'd like to do things like that yourself now. Then apologise to your boss and explain what happened, he'll appreciate it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Not a trivial issue at all btw and it can be a big thing! I've done it once and my boss made it very clear it was unacceptable. It's just workplace etiquette but important.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I'd always say that if you're able to ring in yourself, then it's better coming from you. If you have been told by a doctor not to go back then you can get a letter to this effect, therefore the legitimacy of who's calling doesn't really matter. You can be fairly ill and still be able to make a phone call, as it takes much much less energy than doing a full day's work.

ReputationRep:
    as a previous manager the fact that she gave such a specific time frame, is its itself is suspicious. Illness dont have cut off dates.

Oh and unless you are pysically incapable of doing (napping does not count) you should phone in yourself. Your mother should know this.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.