Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi there,

Basically, the past year or so i've noticed that my gums have been gradually receding and it's really starting to worry me. I've tried changing my toothbrush, flossing more often, and chewing on fluoride toothpaste to help strengthen my tooth enamel.

My teeth are quite sensitive now and about a year ago i had no problems eating ice cream and such but now it's even a bit uncomfortable when drinking a glass of cold water because of the exposed tooth roots. I don't smoke or drink and rarely eat any sugary snacks. My teeth are relatively clean and healthy, my gums show no signs of inflammation, bleeding or redness so i doubt it is gingivitis. Although, lately because i have been worrying about this all so much that i feel that my teeth might be loosening when i push them with my tongue. They just feel less secure which is likely due to the lack of support from the gum tissue. However, this might be me subconciously imagining them loosening.

I have tried speaking to my dentist about this when i saw him about 2 months ago, he told me that it was my tooth brushing was aggressive and wearing away my gums. I've tried being a lot more gentle around my gum line and started using my electric tooth brush with softer bristles compared to the hard manual toothbrush i was using before. But this past month i think that my gums at my front teeth have receded a little more.

It is getting very worrying now, as my teeth are sensitive (althought i tolerate a lot of the discomfort with cold drinks and such) but the big thing worrying me is that gingival recession is meant to happen when you're in your 40s and beyond. I'm worried that i might risk loosing my teeth if this continues.
    Another factor, it might be my occlusion, the way my teeth come together when i bite, as my teeth have moved around since i had my braces taken off with my wisdom teeth erupting. My teeth don't really sit together properly with greater high points on certain areas compared to others.
    Also, i think that genetics may play a factor too. My grandmother had really bad oral health and mom has really bad gums and suffers from gingivitis (bleeding and soreness), sensitive teeth and had periodontitis (tooth bone loss) and had to have hospital surgery not long ago. So i guess that it runs in the family and i also have weak, thin gums that makes me susceptible to gum disease.

Sorry about how long this is but it's just something that i've been worrying about a lot recently as it isn't getting any better.
    In one way, i feel a bit of inevitability to this as i think it's mostly genetic, but i think i might need to see my dentist again for some more advice. I've even been looking at gum/gingival graft operations where they take gum tissue from you palate but aparantly they're really painful.
    Does anyone else suffer from receding gums?

ReputationRep:
    I have something similar, though not as advanced/sensitive as yours yet. I'm pretty sure mine are doing it because of bruxism (clenching - me!, or grinding at night when I sleep).

I know the feeling of worry - the more i worry, the more i clench my teeth when i sleep and make my teeth click, or move back and forth (as you described!)

My mum has had something painted on her gum line to help stop her teeth being so sensitive/recess so quickly (hers just started doing it - makes me feel worse at half her age!) but maybe you could ask a dentist about that!

ReputationRep:
    Do you smoke? I would brush really carefully, and keep your teeth very healthy. Diet is important too, lots of vegetables to keep your circulation good.

ReputationRep:
    I have this as well, and it's worrying that it's so painful to eat ice-cream at this age. Imagine what it will be like when i'm 40.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Double Agent)
    Do you smoke? I would brush really carefully, and keep your teeth very healthy. Diet is important too, lots of vegetables to keep your circulation good.
    No i don't smoke, i'm just trying to be really careful when i'm brushing my teeth and i'm flossing regularly. I'm trying to eat more healthy, rarely have any sugary snacks, starting going to the gym recently to improve my health which might strengthen my immune system.

Thank you for your advice
    I just can't help but have a feeling of inevitability about this seeing how my grandmother and mother also have gum problems. I guess there's not much that i can do other than try my best to be gentle and look after my teeth with regular good oral hygiene and visit my dentist regularly...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fudgemuffins)
    I have this as well, and it's worrying that it's so painful to eat ice-cream at this age. Imagine what it will be like when i'm 40.
    That's what really scares me i'm having these problems when i'm only 20, what it's going to be like when i'm in my 30s or 40s... :unsure:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Solid.Snake)
    That's what really scares me i'm having these problems when i'm only 20, what it's going to be like when i'm in my 30s or 40s... :unsure:
    There are definitely treatments for it, and i'm sure there will be more in the coming years.

Are you using a sensitive toothpaste? Colgate sensitive pro relief works very well.

ReputationRep:
    bacteria or viruses are the reason of gum recession .i advise to try fresh ginger. eat fresh ginger ( maybe with yogurt ). fresh ginger might be your medicine...

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 7, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.