Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    So I applied to a university with my first choice being BSc (Biological Science) and my second BMus (classical music). Assuming I get accepted into both courses, which should I take?

My parents say music, everyone else says science and I'm confused. I am very passionate about both fields, but one week I love the one more than the other, and the next vice versa.

If I do go for music I would take it along with media studies and dramatic arts..

I should probably mention that the university in question has the best science department in the country. The music department, on the other hand, isn't one of the best.

Any thoughts on which would be better?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Welz143)
    So I applied to a university with my first choice being BSc (Biological Science) and my second BMus (classical music). Assuming I get accepted into both courses, which should I take?

My parents say music, everyone else says science and I'm confused. I am very passionate about both fields, but one week I love the one more than the other, and the next vice versa.

If I do go for music I would take it along with media studies and dramatic arts..

I should probably mention that the university in question has the best science department in the country. The music department, on the other hand, isn't one of the best.

Any thoughts on which would be better?
    if it's a science degree from oxbridge/ imperial, it definitely gives you better employability than music

which do you want to do?

ReputationRep:
    I'll be studying in South Africa.. and certain factors would count against me for employment in any industry involving science here in South Africa. Music might just give me an opportunity to start a music school or open up a business as a music consultant..?

I don't know what I want to do. Right now I'm leaning more towards music (but that might just be because I'm a little lazy from a long holiday :P)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Welz143)
    I'll be studying in South Africa.. and certain factors would count against me for employment in any industry involving science here in South Africa. Music might just give me an opportunity to start a music school or open up a business as a music consultant..?

I don't know what I want to do. Right now I'm leaning more towards music (but that might just be because I'm a little lazy from a long holiday :P)
    Yesterday a african talked to me about his background. He's now about 45 sth. He felt regretful that he chose science, physics, engineering as his degrees because he focused on music in his uni life. He now worked in the UK, teaching students but he still regretted that he didnt choose music in the university.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Featured recruiter profiles:

HM Treasury logo

Policy adviser grad scheme

"Shape the UK’s future and your skills."

Quick link:

Unanswered public sector threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.