Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by haroon77)
    ' I revise religiously'

how much do you mean, would the same also apply to gcses
    My inference is that the poster is saying that he takes it upon himself to do extra work and recap the work he does in school as it comes, and does this independently to whatever homework is set. So whereas a lot of people go through school only doing the bare minimum, he takes a much more conscientious/ diligent route.

ReputationRep:
    Finally firmed Cambridge (vetmed at Girton)! Time to get these grades and then roll on October!

ReputationRep:
    I am no longer an offer holder!

Sent through my rejection on UCAS this morning.

Good luck to all of you who do decide to go- it's a fantastic university.

ReputationRep:
    What subject did you apply for? Why reject it?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Oli-Ol)
    I am no longer an offer holder!

Sent through my rejection on UCAS this morning.

Good luck to all of you who do decide to go- it's a fantastic university.
    Could you please share your reasons for doing so?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hypercube)
    What subject did you apply for? Why reject it?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    MML (French and Italian).

It just wasn't right for me, for a variety of reasons. The course is too literature-based, I don't particularly like my college and the only reason I applied in the first place was that I was sure I'd get a rejection and it would get people off my back about applying.

If I go on to do postgrad then it's certainly a university that I'll consider very carefully, and I know that for the vast majority of people who get an offer it's perfect for them. But I feel that I'm going to do better somewhere where I'm happy and comfortable, which unfortunately probably isn't Cambridge.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pleonasm)
    Could you please share your reasons for doing so?
    See above.

The course wasn't right for me, ultimately, and the university as a whole wasn't somewhere where I felt comfortable. I want to study more historical modules and to have more flexibility, which I can't achieve at Cambridge.

I may be shooting myself in the foot when it comes to employment after graduating, but at least it'll be my decision.

ReputationRep:
    See above.

The course wasn't right for me, ultimately, and the university as a whole wasn't somewhere where I felt comfortable. I want to study more historical modules and to have more flexibility, which I can't achieve at Cambridge.

I may be shooting myself in the foot when it comes to employment after graduating, but at least it'll be my decision.
    Hey I just wanted to say that I really respect your decision. Yes, Cambridge is a great university but their courses aren't right for everybody and it annoys me that it is instantly considered 'best' for every single course when it's just not true. I think that being happy with where you are and what you are studying is the most important thing, so props for making the right choice (: I hope everything works out for you!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DJMayes)
    My school has managed a third of that in the last 3 years...
    My college has about 1000 people in each of the two years

(Original post by Bulbasaur)
    Well best of both world's then I'm sure you'll make friends - I mean, why wouldn't you?

Not awful. My school generally gets about 2 (well, 5 this year, all to Cambridge) applicants to oxbridge on a yearly basis - in a year of about 100 people. Yet nobody else has gotten an offer for about 8 years... to top it off, there's a pretty substantial chance I'll miss it Sucks, doesn't it...
    I am quite an awkward and weird person I tend to just blurt out random facts to anyone, have a tendency to forget English words and also avoid making eye contact :L

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by not_a_dog)
    Another Tit Hall offer holder! :yes: I have an offer for Physical Natsci, yourself? I realise that you've probably said before but I'm on my phone, sorry!

erh, LOL....Make that a third T Hall offer holder when did you get your offers?

ReputationRep:
    See above.

I see. That seems logical. I am also undecided about my course, but my family is so excited that I got in (much more so than I am it must be said) that I feel as if it would be rather difficult to reject Cambridge.

Still, I could always purposefully miss the req. grades for Cambridge and get for my insurance offer instead. In fact that could be rather interesting/ fun.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Etoile)
    I am quite an awkward and weird person I tend to just blurt out random facts to anyone, have a tendency to forget English words and also avoid making eye contact :L
    Well if stereotypes count for anything, you'll probably feel more at home at Cambridge than elsewhere

To be honest I'm a bit of a weirdo myself. At least, I would be if I didn't force myself to be somewhat normal to other people.. but deep inside I know i'm a freak

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by not_a_dog)
    Another Tit Hall offer holder! :yes: I have an offer for Physical Natsci, yourself? I realise that you've probably said before but I'm on my phone, sorry!
    Haha, tit hall!

Spoiler:
    Show
    :getmecoat:

ReputationRep:
    Well if stereotypes count for anything, you'll probably feel more at home at Cambridge than elsewhere

To be honest I'm a bit of a weirdo myself. At least, I would be if I didn't force myself to be somewhat normal to other people.. but deep inside I know i'm a freak
    Maybe :lol: My friend made the mistake of getting me a QI book for my birthday, and things like that I just memorise without trying, so I have been 'entertaining' everyone
    Being a weirdo is more fun :five:

ReputationRep:
    Maybe :lol: My friend made the mistake of getting me a QI book for my birthday, and things like that I just memorise without trying, so I have been 'entertaining' everyone
    Being a weirdo is more fun :five:
    I'm liking the inverted commas on 'entertaining'. I think that clears things up a lot...

I know, getting a reaction out of people when I do strange things is actually somehow satisfying...

ReputationRep:
    I'm liking the inverted commas on 'entertaining'. I think that clears things up a lot...

I know, getting a reaction out of people when I do strange things is actually somehow satisfying...
    Bf gently told me the other day that not everyone likes having facts recited to them
    Uni will be fun

ReputationRep:
    Bf gently told me the other day that not everyone likes having facts recited to them
    Uni will be fun
    Depends - what sort of facts?
    I'd hope so. I'm looking forward to becoming even more sleep deprived

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rubena123)
    ....Make that a third T Hall offer holder when did you get your offers?

Posted from TSR Mobile

The 4th of January I think! I'm so glad our college emails in the morning of results day, I don't think I could have waited until the Tuesday when the letter finally came! How about you?

ReputationRep:
    if anyone has been offere an economics place, are you doing fm as or a2 or is it part of your typical offer requirement

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys! I've got a few questions here, hope you can help me with it!

1. Does Cambridge allow retakes? What if I've already met the minimum conditions for the grade but I just want to perfect the scores?

2. When will the colleges send us details on accommodation?

3. Will a college ever revise the offer requirements? E.g. from A*AA to A*AAA / A*A*A?

Thank you!!!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Are unpaid trial work shifts fair?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.