Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Frankster)
    Nope. Not even in your year

Thinking of applying to Trinity/Emmanuel for Engineering this October. :eek:

But congrats on getting the offer! Trinity's a hard college to get into.
    Apply to Trin! Definitely recommend it

Yeah I kinda ended up falling in love with it at the open day before really considering all the 'prestige' etc but realistically there's very little difference between all the colleges in terms of how difficult it is to get an offer. Plus if you get pooled from Trinity you normally have a fairly decent chance of getting fished, so you should definitely apply!

I met a really nice Engineering-er when I was over for interview so if you did get in you'd be in really good company.

Spoiler:
    Show

I say nice, of course what I actually mean is pretty damn smokin' hot :hubba::hubba::sexface::sexface:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Eireann95)
    Mine are at the start of June, so i have a bit of time.

Wow, that's a lot of subjects. Do most people do IB in your school, or is it just a few people, like a small class?
    Yeah, it is quite a few, especially since I'm taking a 7th one on top of the required 6 (which was not the smartest choice I ever made, because while Spanish is cool, I do not need the extra pressure right now :P)

Everyone (about 330 people) does IB in my school, with almost all of us doing the Diploma and a few just doing certificates.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    :crazy::afraid:
    If I am already this excited&scared now, what am I going to be like in October? I want a fast forward button to just skip the next few months.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rain on dry ground)
    :crazy::afraid:
    If I am already this excited&scared now, what am I going to be like in October? I want a fast forward button to just skip the next few months.
    Feeling exactly the same way here! I just hope my Summer results back my application up!

(Original post by Caitlin_dj)
    Apply to Trin! Definitely recommend it

Yeah I kinda ended up falling in love with it at the open day before really considering all the 'prestige' etc but realistically there's very little difference between all the colleges in terms of how difficult it is to get an offer. Plus if you get pooled from Trinity you normally have a fairly decent chance of getting fished, so you should definitely apply!

I met a really nice Engineering-er when I was over for interview so if you did get in you'd be in really good company.

Spoiler:
    Show

I say nice, of course what I actually mean is pretty damn smokin' hot :hubba::hubba::sexface::sexface:

*Engineer

I see.. that's great! I've yet to visit the colleges specifically. It's a shame that the Emmanuel Open day and Trinity Open day clash at the same time! Also I know one of my friends is applying to Trinity for Engineering, and my school advises us not to apply to the same college for the same course ... but yes I'm considering Trinity definitely

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pr100)
    is anyone worried about how much cambridge is going to cost us to live in? I am going to be studying medicine so thats 6 years of a loan! :mad:
    There are quite a lot of things to think about, but I really don't think that is one.

For a start, Cambridge is much cheaper than many places (eg accommodation, living etc).

Also, the amount you pay back from your student loan each year is dependant on how much you earn, not how much you owe. Therefore, the best thing to do is get the biggest student loan you can. Well done you!

The key is to just think of it as a graduate tax, not a loan. Item 20 on this page (http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/stu...n-fees-changes) explains this better than I can.

However, there is a minor concern. You get a loan for fees and a loan for maintenance. But my experience says that the maintenance loan is not enough to pay for both accommodation and living expenses - it pays one or the other but not both. I think you end up £3-4k/year short. You could take out a bank loan for the difference - but over the full course, that would be a lot, and that is a genuine loan, often at high interest because you have no assets to back it up. You could get a job - but you will have enough on your plate studying (I don't think Cambridge allow you to work during term, although you do still have the other 26-22 weeks of the year). You could ask your parents to pay the difference. The main thing is not to go thinking the student loans are enough.

ReputationRep:
    I got a letter from my college today telling me what to do if I miss my offer, sounds like they have faith in me :lol:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Etoile)
    I got a letter from my college today telling me what to do if I miss my offer, sounds like they have faith in me :lol:
    What did it say?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by climberkid)
    What did it say?
    Probably something along the lines of "We hope you meet your offer, but if you don't, since we don't get your UMS scores from UCAS, please can you fax/send them on results day."

ReputationRep:
    I got the same letter through today :P Was yours from Robinson, too?

ReputationRep:
    Are you a Trinity Hall-er? I got the same today! :yes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by laser174572)
    I got the same letter through today :P Was yours from Robinson, too?
    Oh, looks like it may be standard then!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by not_a_dog)
    Oh, looks like it may be standard then!
    Correct, I got one last year too

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I got this too from Fitz. And my friend did too... hopefully this wasn't targetted at us in particular

ReputationRep:
    I got the same letter from Girton today, it's obviously standard

ReputationRep:
    Got it from Trinity Hall. Was quite happy as it might be an avenue I have to explore!

ReputationRep:
    I'm sure I should know this, but do we have to do anything about sorting accommodation? Or it it all done after results day? I just don't want to get there to find I have to live in a tent for 3 years...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bellatrixb)
    I'm sure I should know this, but do we have to do anything about sorting accommodation? Or it it all done after results day? I just don't want to get there to find I have to live in a tent for 3 years...
    Yeah, you will do, when they contact you.

I'm sure all Colleges guarantee it for first year studies, so don't fret.

I know Churchill provide for full course (up to four)

ReputationRep:
    What do the letters say? Haven't got one :-/

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Emmav123)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Just that if you don't meet your grades you will still be considered for a place, but it's important that they have your UMS scores, so if you're in the position of having missed your offer to send them a scanned copy of your results statement ASAP on results day

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Emmav123)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Nor me! Kings College

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.