Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Any rugby players on here ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Crushy10)
    I don't play it but I can get someone to answer your questions for you?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wibletg)
    I don't play it but I can get someone to answer your questions for you?
    Ah thanks, its okay I was just trying to suss out the standard of student room Cambridge-goers

ReputationRep:
    Has anyone else heard back from the choral scholarship trials yet?

ReputationRep:
    Ah thanks, its okay I was just trying to suss out the standard of student room Cambridge-goers
    Fair enough college level is pretty competitive, as is the Uni team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fowlerbean)
    I'll definitely be picking Chemistry too, with Physics, Earth Science and straight Maths Have you heard anything about accommodation at Magdalene? I don't know whether to just ring up for some info?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Cool No, I haven't heard anything about accommodation either- I think maybe wait a few more weeks before ringing

ReputationRep:
    Yeah why?

ReputationRep:
    Me!
    What college are you going to (touch wood)?
    Where do you play? And what level have you played at?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Storm2112)
    Has anyone else heard back from the choral scholarship trials yet?
    I have, but I heard back about a week after the audition. Which college did you apply for one from?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lost And Confused)
    Me!
    What college are you going to (touch wood)?
    Where do you play? And what level have you played at?
    Ah cool Caius hopefully doing med ! I'm a fly-half and play usually for the seconds for our club in Dover but have been benched for the 1sts who are a london 1 south team, but rugby has been sliding down the priorities What about you?

ReputationRep:
    Woo hoo - Cambridge rankied 1 in the UK in the Complete University Guide 2013/ 14

ReputationRep:
    Ah cool Caius hopefully doing med ! I'm a fly-half and play usually for the seconds for our club in Dover but have been benched for the 1sts who are a london 1 south team, but rugby has been sliding down the priorities What about you?
    Sounds good I may well be playing against you - I have an offer to Pembroke :cool:

I take it that's adult rugby then? I play colts atm, so have trained a little with adults but have less experience of the physicality of adult rugby Which may be a steep learning curve, bearing in mind that I am only 5'4"...

I play anywhere in the backs really... Spent most of my rugby life playing in the centres, but I was moved to wing when I played for North Midlands (now out of the county set-ups due to injury) and have since played there most... I prefer centre, but am pretty happy anywhere (have been developing my scrum half for uni) My main problem is that I've had a few major injuries, and when I came back most recently we had a new, sizest coach

What do you think about 7's? Because of my size and pace, I thought it might be a good second option at uni?

(Original post by cawcarrot)
    Woo hoo - Cambridge rankied 1 in the UK in the Complete University Guide 2013/ 14
    Woop woop It's every year now really, don't know what all the Oxford fuss is about

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cawcarrot)

Woop woop It's every year now really, don't know what all the Oxford fuss is about
    Sorry, Oxford? I think you mean Hull

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SpecialKaye)
    I have, but I heard back about a week after the audition. Which college did you apply for one from?
    St Catharine's, I looked on the website and thought it was strange that they said by the end of April and I hadn't heard anything yet! Where did you apply for?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Storm2112)
    St Catharine's, I looked on the website and thought it was strange that they said by the end of April and I hadn't heard anything yet! Where did you apply for?
    Oh, that's strange. :confused: I'm soon to be a soprano at Fitz, but there really weren't many applicants so maybe they needed less time to think about it than Catz. Still, seems like a long time to be waiting...

ReputationRep:
    Sounds good I may well be playing against you - I have an offer to Pembroke :cool:

I take it that's adult rugby then? I play colts atm, so have trained a little with adults but have less experience of the physicality of adult rugby Which may be a steep learning curve, bearing in mind that I am only 5'4"...

I play anywhere in the backs really... Spent most of my rugby life playing in the centres, but I was moved to wing when I played for North Midlands (now out of the county set-ups due to injury) and have since played there most... I prefer centre, but am pretty happy anywhere (have been developing my scrum half for uni) My main problem is that I've had a few major injuries, and when I came back most recently we had a new, sizest coach

What do you think about 7's? Because of my size and pace, I thought it might be a good second option at uni?
    I hadn't really thought about 7's to be honest but like you said it would be a great second option to have, so much fun ! Sizism is a horrible thing in rugby, county set ups are awful for it down here in kent - they are like a team of mutants haha.

On the adult rugby thing it's not too much of a step up, the biggest thing is obviously the tackle area and rucking is a bit different to say the least, but after a few games you just grow into it. Don't mean to sound like a know it all but that's my experience! I just hope i've got enough time to play rugby as well as studying in those short terms, but its a good problem to have i guess !

What sort of injuries did you have if you don't mind me asking? I've been so lucky never to have anything serious other than knocking some teeth out !

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _Georgie)
    Sorry, Oxford? I think you mean Hull
    Their Maths table at least seems somewhat reasonable now. However, the higher I see LSE ranked for Maths on a table, the less faith I have in it - they don't even do a standalone Maths degree!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DJMayes)
    Their Maths table at least seems somewhat reasonable now. However, the higher I see LSE ranked for Maths on a table, the less faith I have in it - they don't even do a standalone Maths degree!
    They have maths and economics, as well as maths with economics (although I get your point).

Their economics is very mathematical too.. I guess you could argue they're an applied maths university to some extent!

ReputationRep:
    Hey all just wondering if there are any Engineering offer holders on the thread/forum.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CD315)
    They have maths and economics, as well as maths with economics (although I get your point).

Their economics is very mathematical too.. I guess you could argue they're an applied maths university to some extent!
    I know, but I think that should be reflected in their rankings for Economics, not for Mathematics. The fact of the matter is that LSE do not offer a straight Maths degree, so why they are put so consistently high in Mathematics league tables to which they do not really belong astounds me. Bath or Bristol should have been in that spot, not LSE. Bristol should probably be ahead of Durham too.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.