The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 2620
Original post by Oromis263
Will be joining the King's Mountaineering and Kayaking Society for sure. Assassins has always sounded good to me. Archimedeans for sure, Physics Society.

Not exactly a society, but I really want to have a go at the 'Lost' and 'Breakout' things.

Sounds like you've got the right idea! :biggrin:

Just had a flick through now any the main ones that appeal to me are Archimedeans, Physics, Mountaineering and Rowing :smile:

It's annoying theres no drinking or clubbing society :lol: Swear it's the only uni that doesn't have one! Think the closest thing's the wine tasting society :lol:

Edit: OMG just realised theres a 200 square metre bouldering wall right next door to Emmanuel college :eek: Anyone find this as exciting as I do!?!
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Jkn

Just had a flick through now any the main ones that appeal to me are Archimedeans, Physics, Mountaineering and Rowing :smile:

It's annoying theres no drinking or clubbing society :lol: Swear it's the only uni that doesn't have one! Think the closest thing's the wine tasting society :lol:

Edit: OMG just realised theres a 200 square metre bouldering wall right next door to Emmanuel college :eek: Anyone find this as exciting as I do!?!

I do. :woo:

Also, I'm almost 100% sure all the colleges have their own drinking societies, so don't worry!

Yeah, going to give rowing a shot, despite being not really vertically advantaged enough for it seriously. :tongue:
Original post by Jkn

There are plenty of drinking societies, they just aren't official University ones. As for clubbing, you don't need a society, you just...go clubbing.
Reply 2623
I do. :woo:

Also, I'm almost 100% sure all the colleges have their own drinking societies, so don't worry!

Yeah, going to give rowing a shot, despite being not really vertically advantaged enough for it seriously. :tongue:

Original post by Helenia
There are plenty of drinking societies, they just aren't official University ones. As for clubbing, you don't need a society, you just...go clubbing.

I think I'll probably just sign up for everything my first week and then see what societies have a nice atmosphere etc.. Would be really nice to do a sport though :smile:

Well that's a relief :lol: Well, yeah sure but I heard at some universities they have these crazy societies where there will be like a hundred people taking over bars and clubs and stuff to play ridiculous drinking games :lol: !
Original post by Jkn
I think I'll probably just sign up for everything my first week and then see what societies have a nice atmosphere etc.. Would be really nice to do a sport though :smile:

I;ll probably have a go a rowing too.
Original post by Jkn

Well that's a relief :lol: Well, yeah sure but I heard at some universities they have these crazy societies where there will be like a hundred people taking over bars and clubs and stuff to play ridiculous drinking games :lol: !

Even if they do, they probably won't be official societies - most universities are not keen to have that sort of behaviour associated with them.
Reply 2626
Original post by shortclaw
Hey guys. Congratulations to you all!

Got an offer for Medicine at Clare. Just need and A* in my chemistry A Level now

One of my interviews was really good and in the other one I made some stupid simple maths error =)

Can you tell me what AS subjects you picked and what your UMS were like too. I really want to apply there this year.

Thanks in advance.:smile:

PS well done by the way.
Just came across the ASNaC society and I admit that sounds amazeballs... :biggrin: Old Norse sagas. <3
Just came across the ASNaC society and I admit that sounds amazeballs... :biggrin: Old Norse sagas. <3

Isn't that for people taking ASNaC?
Original post by Lord of the Flies
Hell yes. Who is up for blasting Die Meistersinger & drinking far too much champagne at 4 in the afternoon? :cheers:

I'll be there. :biggrin: With or without champagne depending on the ol' bank balance...
Reply 2630
I'd really like to try rowing when(/if) I get there, but my arms really aren't very strong so I might have to prepare in advance...
It's doubtful that I'd cope with it anyway but I might as well try :tongue:
Original post by _Georgie
I'd really like to try rowing when(/if) I get there, but my arms really aren't very strong so I might have to prepare in advance...
It's doubtful that I'd cope with it anyway but I might as well try :tongue:

You don't have to have any experience of rowing beforehand to row as a novice for your college. And rowing is all about the legs, so don't worry about your arms!
Reply 2632
Original post by Helenia
You don't have to have any experience of rowing beforehand to row as a novice for your college. And rowing is all about the legs, so don't worry about your arms!

Ah I thought for arms maybe you'd need the strength to do at least one push up, but that's good :smile: (unless you're overestimating me)
That sounds good though, I'll just try and keep up a good fitness level through summer. I saw on the university level rowing society website that they have a lightweight team, do they do this at college level too?
Original post by _Georgie
Ah I thought for arms maybe you'd need the strength to do at least one push up, but that's good :smile: (unless you're overestimating me)
That sounds good though, I'll just try and keep up a good fitness level through summer. I saw on the university level rowing society website that they have a lightweight team, do they do this at college level too?

Seriously, at college level they take you at whatever strength and fitness level you come to them with, and teach you to row. You'll build up the muscles you need. Without getting too technical, the vast majority of the power in every oar stroke comes from your legs, with a small contribution from the back, and the arms are really only there to finish the stroke and get the blade out of the water.

Colleges don't have lightweight crews, but at that level your size doesn't matter a huge amount compared with your fitness, skill and general keenness. If you're small and a bit bossy though, they'll probably try and persuade you to cox!
Reply 2634
Original post by Jkn
x

At my interviews, I got talking to an engineering undergrad at Emmanuel. He was a member of their drinking society and boy was he full of stories! :colone:
Original post by SpecialKaye
I'll be there. :biggrin: With or without champagne depending on the ol' bank balance...

:rofl: How champagne would you need for the whole ring cycle?
I think I could bring down the fitness level of Emma's novice rowing team on my own :tongue:
Reply 2637
Original post by Helenia
Seriously, at college level they take you at whatever strength and fitness level you come to them with, and teach you to row. You'll build up the muscles you need. Without getting too technical, the vast majority of the power in every oar stroke comes from your legs, with a small contribution from the back, and the arms are really only there to finish the stroke and get the blade out of the water.

Colleges don't have lightweight crews, but at that level your size doesn't matter a huge amount compared with your fitness, skill and general keenness. If you're small and a bit bossy though, they'll probably try and persuade you to cox!

Hah, thanks! I'm 5'7 but I saw on their page that I'd be in the lightweight category, though I don't think I'd be cut out for it... That's very good to know that they'll teach whoever wants to do it though, it sounds like something that'd be really fun :biggrin:
Original post by bananarama2
Isn't that for people taking ASNaC?

Not exclusively :biggrin: :tongue:
Original post by SpecialKaye

Actually forget champagne - Sekt is what we should be drinking.

Latest

Trending

Trending