Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

(Original post by thinginthewood)
      Hahah, I found King's really friendly and welcoming, plus they were totally tolerant of the fact that I don't have Chemistry A-level. I have absolutely no interest in the chemistry-side of Biology, aside from necessary overlap - I'm much more interested in whole organisms and ecosystems.

I'm a little worried that everyone will be incredibly committed and much more prepared than I am. There's nothing wrong with that of course, and I also am very committed to the subject and to doing well - and I know I can get down to work without a problem if necessary - but I don't want to be out of my league just because I haven't done extra AS levels in my year off! Good on you for doing it though.
      Haha! Do not fear at all. I have the same feelings, again obviously I love my.subject but I have been slightly worried about turning up and finding myself just completely out of my league. But I guess if there are two of us, then surely everyone probably feels that way and we will all be fine I.the end. Surprised by the sudden drop in natscis at King's though.

For me biology was all about the human side of things, although admittedly I only did it to the high standards of gcse. Chemistry is a bore, and I am just thankful that I remembered enough to get me through the interview and test.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Oromis263)
      Haha! Do not fear at all. I have the same feelings, again obviously I love my.subject but I have been slightly worried about turning up and finding myself just completely out of my league. But I guess if there are two of us, then surely everyone probably feels that way and we will all be fine I.the end. Surprised by the sudden drop in natscis at King's though.
      Yeah, I guess everyone feels the same. The sooner everyone admits that to each other, the sooner we can avoid pointless p***ing contests and making other people feel inadequate. I do feel more motivated to get on with my prep though ... Tbh I can't wait to get properly into the subject again
      • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
      So I understand that you have both been on gap years as well. Hooray! Mine is still going on (super-full time to say the least) and I am so worried about being underprepared!
      Yeah, I guess everyone feels the same. The sooner everyone admits that to each other, the sooner we can avoid pointless p***ing contests and making other people feel inadequate. I do feel more motivated to get on with my prep though ... Tbh I can't wait to get properly into the subject again

For me biology was all about the human side of things, although admittedly I only did it to the high standards of gcse. Chemistry is a bore, and I am just thankful that I remembered enough to get me through the interview and test.

Exactly. I am really looking forward to having some sort of structure to my life again, other than part time work. I've already come to terms with the fact that there will be some brilliant people there, but the majority of people.there will be actual young people too, keen to have a laugh and do things other than work (not.implying the brilliant people won't!)

I'm hoping we hear something from King's soon. I think there is a natsci maths preparation thing we get sent before we come up. I also want to find out my accommodation!

Pretty psyched for the King's affair, looks right up my street in comparison to the May balls. Sadly there is the whole case of three terms + exams.to get through before then.

(Original post by rain on dry ground)
          So I understand that you have both been on gap years as well. Hooray! Mine is still going on (super-full time to say the least) and I am so worried about being underprepared!
          Join the crew! Work? I am not looking forward to going back to the restaurant I work in for another two months, I'm too excited.

We will be fine. Also, great quote in your Sig. What college is that, st johns? What course are you going to do!

ReputationRep:
          Anyone with an offer after applying on a gap year, I'd appreciate it if you got in touch through PM

ReputationRep:
          Exactly. I am really looking forward to having some sort of structure to my life again, other than part time work. I've already come to terms with the fact that there will be some brilliant people there, but the majority of people.there will be actual young people too, keen to have a laugh and do things other than work (not.implying the brilliant people won't!)

I'm hoping we hear something from King's soon. I think there is a natsci maths preparation thing we get sent before we come up. I also want to find out my accommodation!

Pretty psyched for the King's affair, looks right up my street in comparison to the May balls. Sadly there is the whole case of three terms + exams.to get through before then.
          I don't think we'll hear much from them before results day. They'll want to deal with everyone coming up this year at the same time.

Are you doing proper maths? I'm just doing Mathematical Biology

ReputationRep:
          (Original post by nat.2013)
          Anyone else trying to persuade themselves they don't want to go to Cambridge anymore just in case things go belly up on results day?! Maybe it's just me...
          I was - but since I saw the C4 mark scheme I've gotten a little bit complacent, kind of assuming I've gotten in now And if I haven't, well, I guess I deserve it.

I don't think we'll hear much from them before results day. They'll want to deal with everyone coming up this year at the same time.

Are you doing proper maths? I'm just doing Mathematical Biology
            True. I think accommodation is sorted in early September. Not long now, can't believe it is almost August.

I.would like to try maths B, but whether they let me/I find it too hard I don't know, I will have to see. I guess you'll be.doing something like mathematical biology, evolution and.behaviour, biology of cells and the final one I can't quite remember. Physiology or something of organisms? I wish I had the tiniest of inklings about biology to even think about doing those, the evolution one sounds cool to me.
            • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
            Ah, I love John Green And also how there's already been two "Any nerdfighters?"-posts on fb - we really should start a society. I am just assuming you are one as you are involved in an internet forum and liked the John Green quote. Even if you haven't been a nerdfighter before then, that basically makes you one.
            Are you also secretly hoping that all the "life experience" will help lots? I guess we'll be fine on the whole, it's just that I haven't done any book-learning (oh HOW I miss it!) in the past year and also I'm not quite sure I still remember where Word is on my laptop...
            And I want some proper information about starting uni now! After all, it's nearly been 7 months without anything for us gap-year people.On the other hand, it's also been 7 months without the agony of not-quite-knowing. Then again, I'm only still awake now because I'm trying to find out wether the college will provide duvets or not so that I can leave mine in the UK before going home (or not. sigh). I've also just found out about bedders, a concept which I find very odd.
            Join the crew! Work? I am not looking forward to going back to the restaurant I work in for another two months, I'm too excited.

We will be fine. Also, great quote in your Sig. What college is that, st johns? What course are you going to do!
            • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
            Basically, I'm very exited to be able to "talk" to other gap-year people and therefore apparently unable to answer any of your questions. I just seem to have ignored the question marked sentences
            So here are the actual answers:
            Not work as such but very demanding non-academic stuff with 10-12 hour days.
            That is indeed St John's! I don't really get the whole "I'd rather go to Oxford" thing, I didn't know about it before and think it's ridiculous. Why does that stereotype not also apply to other big traditional colleges like Trinity?!
            X

(Original post by rain on dry ground)
              Ah, I love John Green And also how there's already been two "Any nerdfighters?"-posts on fb - we really should start a society. I am just assuming you are one as you are involved in an internet forum and liked the John Green quote. Even if you haven't been a nerdfighter before then, that basically makes you one.
              Are you also secretly hoping that all the "life experience" will help lots? I guess we'll be fine on the whole, it's just that I haven't done any book-learning (oh HOW I miss it!) in the past year and also I'm not quite sure I still remember where Word is on my laptop...
              And I want some proper information about starting uni now! After all, it's nearly been 7 months without anything for us gap-year people.On the other hand, it's also been 7 months without the agony of not-quite-knowing. Then again, I'm only still awake now because I'm trying to find out wether the college will provide duvets or not so that I can leave mine in the UK before going home (or not. sigh). I've also just found out about bedders, a concept which I find very odd.
              I can't confess to being one, at most I have watched a couple of videos.
              , it is just a cool quote.

I am fairly sure they provide duvets, but perhaps not covers? At least, I am hoping to sport my lion king or harry potter ones with the utmost pride. Seven months. Almost eight! How has it been almost eight months since we found out about offers. O.o ah, international student eh, where in the world are you travelling from ? I have a -horrific- 1.3 hour drive from home to Cambridge, the horror. :/

Ah, yeah well I guess it has just been a running joke. Very few, if any, think anything of it seriously. I almost applied to johns in fact! At King's I supposedly have to be a left wing, communist, political frontline campaigner or something to fit the stereotype.

Posted from TSR Mobile
              • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
              Scary huh? Are you doing prep at all? I don't want to be totally out of my depth when I get there ...
              hey, i took a gap year too and have just finished my first year. i would suggest you dont spend too much time prepping, i did a fair bit of revision and it was a waste of time, all the bio courses start with a bit of a recap of A level. maybe just a quick look through the key points would do fine.
              i would suggest you spend a bit of time going over maths again, just basic integration/differentiation etc, otherwise the supervision work might take a bit longer than it should.
              i wouldnt bother reading course textbooks or anything like that though, its not worth it.
              apart from all that, since the courses start from a fairly basic level you wont feel like youre behind everyone else because of taking a gap year, it may take a little while to get back into doing work though :P

ReputationRep:
              More than likely it will be the same time as A-level students I guess? You've nothing to sort out until then so just relax safe in the knowledge you met your offer!
              Haha I'm trying to but I keep getting this odd feeling that they've changed their mind or something :P Its silly I know but I just get so paranoid when it comes to cambridge!

ReputationRep:
              True. I think accommodation is sorted in early September. Not long now, can't believe it is almost August.

I.would like to try maths B, but whether they let me/I find it too hard I don't know, I will have to see. I guess you'll be.doing something like mathematical biology, evolution and.behaviour, biology of cells and the final one I can't quite remember. Physiology or something of organisms? I wish I had the tiniest of inklings about biology to even think about doing those, the evolution one sounds cool to me.
              I'm doing Mathematical Biology, Evolution and Behaviour, Physiology of Organisms and Earth Sciences.

We will get sent an online form about accommodation towards the end of August and have to send it back by the 6th September.

(Original post by willp93)
              hey, i took a gap year too and have just finished my first year. i would suggest you dont spend too much time prepping, i did a fair bit of revision and it was a waste of time, all the bio courses start with a bit of a recap of A level. maybe just a quick look through the key points would do fine.
              i would suggest you spend a bit of time going over maths again, just basic integration/differentiation etc, otherwise the supervision work might take a bit longer than it should.
              i wouldnt bother reading course textbooks or anything like that though, its not worth it.
              apart from all that, since the courses start from a fairly basic level you wont feel like youre behind everyone else because of taking a gap year, it may take a little while to get back into doing work though :P
              Thanks, I'll do that

(Original post by padfoot316)
              Haha I'm trying to but I keep getting this odd feeling that they've changed their mind or something :P Its silly I know but I just get so paranoid when it comes to cambridge!
              I wouldn't worry, I've been on a gap year and heard nothing for about 12 months. Just make sure you've sent in everything you need to send. I don't know how the colleges differ on this but King's has a checklist online of stuff you need to send and do.

ReputationRep:
              (Original post by Bulbasaur)
              I was - but since I saw the C4 mark scheme I've gotten a little bit complacent, kind of assuming I've gotten in now And if I haven't, well, I guess I deserve it.
              Awesome I looked at the C4 mark scheme too but I can't remember the exact answers I put, so...

My college sent me a letter ages ago saying that if I don't quite meet my offer, then I should fax my results slip to them on results' day so that they can see how close I was to meeting my offer. But on results slip it doesn't say what each module is out of, just the mark achieved, so how would they know how close I was?

I'm doing Mathematical Biology, Evolution and Behaviour, Physiology of Organisms and Earth Sciences.

We will get sent an online form about accommodation towards the end of August and have to send it back by the 6th September.
                I am really looking forward to earth sciences, especially the field trip. I've heard so many good things about the course. Not too keen on the essays for supervisions, but I guess I will get used to writing properly again. >.<

ReputationRep:
                (Original post by Buongiorno)
                Awesome I looked at the C4 mark scheme too but I can't remember the exact answers I put, so...

My college sent me a letter ages ago saying that if I don't quite meet my offer, then I should fax my results slip to them on results' day so that they can see how close I was to meeting my offer. But on results slip it doesn't say what each module is out of, just the mark achieved, so how would they know how close I was?
                Ah - I checked my answers as I went with my calculator (there are some really interesting ways that you can do this - for almost every single question) so the majority of my answers I knew were correct anyway, as I'd always adopted that approach.

I'm pretty sure that on your final results day one, they do say how much the module is out of. It's the same one that has several subjects on one sheet. That's what I remember from GCSE anyway. Don't worry, they know what they're doing with this i'm sure

Also, couldn't help noticing that your insurance is also Bristol

ReputationRep:
                (Original post by Bulbasaur)
                Ah - I checked my answers as I went with my calculator (there are some really interesting ways that you can do this - for almost every single question) so the majority of my answers I knew were correct anyway, as I'd always adopted that approach.

I'm pretty sure that on your final results day one, they do say how much the module is out of. It's the same one that has several subjects on one sheet. That's what I remember from GCSE anyway. Don't worry, they know what they're doing with this i'm sure

Also, couldn't help noticing that your insurance is also Bristol
                Sounds great! I was glad to see that they award method marks in 7b for using dy/dx = 0

You must be right, it probably will be a sheet similar to the one we got at GCSE! I think I still have that one *somewhere*... I was beginning to think they wanted us to fax all four results slips from all the exam sessions from the two years.

Haha snap, great university choices!
                (also out of interest, what universities did you decline?)

ReputationRep:
                (Original post by Buongiorno)
                Sounds great! I was glad to see that they award method marks in 7b for using dy/dx = 0

You must be right, it probably will be a sheet similar to the one we got at GCSE! I think I still have that one *somewhere*... I was beginning to think they wanted us to fax all four results slips from all the exam sessions from the two years.

Haha snap, great university choices!
                (also out of interest, what universities did you decline?)
                Yup, 3/7 if you got to the end. That's actually what I got wrong - as well as losing 2 marks on 8b (they were really generous here, if you found the length of two sides you got 3/5). But if past boundaries are anything to go by, 69 should be enough, for a paper like this anyway. I'm guessing you made the same mistake in 7b then?

Yeah I remember it, it showed the marks from each module and then an overall total out of 400 or 300 or whatever it was. So don't worry, that's the only sheet they want

I know right, lovely place Bristol is.
                I declined Durham (they asked for the same grades as Cambridge), LSE and Exeter. What about you?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
              Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
            • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
              Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.