The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Saoirse:3
Just remember that I'm sure he'd be proud of you regardless of what happens with Cambridge. Everyone's done incredibly well to get this far, and you especially with that kind of pressure on you. Let me know, I'm sure it'll all work out alright :smile: - good luck!

I'm hoping for King's personally, what about you?

Have you heard anything from Kings? And what course are you hoping to study?

All the best :smile:
Reply 3381
Just remember that I'm sure he'd be proud of you regardless of what happens with Cambridge. Everyone's done incredibly well to get this far, and you especially with that kind of pressure on you. Let me know, I'm sure it'll all work out alright :smile: - good luck!

I'm hoping for King's personally, what about you?

Same! But after an agreed gap year! What subject? And thank you x
Original post by Silent Witness
Have you heard anything from Kings? And what course are you hoping to study?

All the best :smile:

My college decided to write to them, and they said they'd still consider me but couldn't make a decision till after A-Level results - no surprises really. I'm applying for HSPS :smile: Yourself?
Original post by Noonoo
Same! But after an agreed gap year! What subject? And thank you x

Ah cool, HSPS, you? :smile: No problem x
My college decided to write to them, and they said they'd still consider me but couldn't make a decision till after A-Level results - no surprises really. I'm applying for HSPS :smile: Yourself?

HSPS at Kings too, but I have a deferred offer. I'm very very nervous :frown:
Reply 3384

same. Fingers crossed all round x
:smile:
Reply 3385
Original post by Silent Witness
HSPS at Kings too, but I have a deferred offer. I'm very very nervous :frown:

Same here, I asked for gap year, also very nervous.......good luck buddy! :wink:
Original post by Noonoo
Same here, I asked for gap year, also very nervous.......good luck buddy! :wink:

I was given a gap year because of my age. I was 16 when I applied; they wanted me to wait till I was 18 rather than have the hassle of doing CRB checks on everyone who works at Cambridge.

I would've preferred an entry this year, but I'm not going to complain: any offer is wonderful!

All the best to you too! I'm sure you'll ace those results :smile:
Reply 3387
god knows why I was negged for saying in feel pressure to get grades as my sad is dying..........:frown:
Original post by jysim123
Hi guys! I've already gotten my results, but I missed my offer by one mere subject (and I exceeded the grades for my other subjects!). Should I write in to appeal right now (I take the CIE A-levels, so my results came out sooner!) or should I just wait until Cambridge updates on Track? :smile: Any advice will be appreciated, thanks!

You aren't meant to receive CIE results until the 15th (I know this isn't your fault).

But here is a low down (for everyone) for receiving your results:

1/ On the 15th, you find that you have met or exceeded your Cambridge offer.
-You are in. If Cambridge display your place as "unsuccessful" then you should ring them and point out they have made a mistake.

2/ On the 15th, you find out that you have (even if only narrowly) missed your offer and track changes and your Cambridge place is displayed as "unsuccessful".
- Cambridge have rejected you. Calling to say that you had health problems during the exams, or that you only missed by 1 UMS is useless - none of this will matter as Cambridge have officially rejected you through UCAS.
- What you can do here, is enter yourself for a priority remark (in the subject or subjects you missed out on) and call Cambridge to let them know that you are appealing the grades. It is worth taking some time to consider which modules you want to remark, you should probably talk this over with your teacher(s). Also note that remarks are expensive. If after your adjusted grades come back, you meet the offer then you are in - you only need to call them. If you still do not meet the offer then it is a rejection. Another thing to consider is that your grades could potentially go down.

3/ On the 15th, you find out that you have missed the offer, but Cambridge still shows as "conditional"
- This means Cambridge are still in the process of deciding whether or not to take you.
- If you have received instructions from your college (e.g. Email us a scan of your UMS scores) then go ahead and follow those instructions. You may also want to ring to find out how things are looking - and possibly to try and persuade them to take you.
- It will still take a while for Cambridge to decide even if you send them your scores. You may be placed in the summer pool (which can drag on for close to a week). It's worth noting that offers through the summer pool are rare, even in Maths, so I wouldn't get your hopes up too high.
- Whether or not you are ultimately let in will decide on a number of factors, some of which are out of your control. How many spaces are left for that course? How close were you to your offer? How did the other offer holders do?

I can't foretell much, but I do know that Cambridge are quite stringent about the A*. I know a lot of offer holders who got A*AA offers but were rejected with AAA. And something like 2.7% of successful applicants got in with AAA or below.
Original post by Llewellyn
You aren't meant to receive CIE results until the 15th (I know this isn't your fault).

-You are in. If Cambridge display your place as "unsuccessful" then you should ring them and point out they have made a mistake.

2/ On the 15th, you find out that you have (even if only narrowly) missed your offer and track changes and your Cambridge place is displayed as "unsuccessful".
- Cambridge have rejected you. Calling to say that you had health problems during the exams, or that you only missed by 1 UMS is useless - none of this will matter as Cambridge have officially rejected you through UCAS.
- What you can do here, is enter yourself for a priority remark (in the subject or subjects you missed out on) and call Cambridge to let them know that you are appealing the grades. It is worth taking some time to consider which modules you want to remark, you should probably talk this over with your teacher(s). Also note that remarks are expensive. If after your adjusted grades come back, you meet the offer then you are in - you only need to call them. If you still do not meet the offer then it is a rejection. Another thing to consider is that your grades could potentially go down.

3/ On the 15th, you find out that you have missed the offer, but Cambridge still shows as "conditional"
- This means Cambridge are still in the process of deciding whether or not to take you.
- If you have received instructions from your college (e.g. Email us a scan of your UMS scores) then go ahead and follow those instructions. You may also want to ring to find out how things are looking - and possibly to try and persuade them to take you.
- It will still take a while for Cambridge to decide even if you send them your scores. You may be placed in the summer pool (which can drag on for close to a week). It's worth noting that offers through the summer pool are rare, even in Maths, so I wouldn't get your hopes up too high.
- Whether or not you are ultimately let in will decide on a number of factors, some of which are out of your control. How many spaces are left for that course? How close were you to your offer? How did the other offer holders do?

I can't foretell much, but I do know that Cambridge are quite stringent about the A*. I know a lot of offer holders who got A*AA offers but were rejected with AAA. And something like 2.7% of successful applicants got in with AAA or below.

Haha um you're wrong regarding the CIE comment. All CIE students are supposed to get their results on the 13th. The CIE results are actually always published before the UK ones (I did all my IGCSEs and A levels through CIE).

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Hebbamundo
Haha um you're wrong regarding the CIE comment. All CIE students are supposed to get their results on the 13th. The CIE results are actually always published before the UK ones (I did all my IGCSEs and A levels through CIE).

Posted from TSR Mobile
I see, I must have been misinformed. The point still stands though; unless one has already met their offer then one is unlikely to receive any closure until at least the 15th.

I fail to see why it is funny though?
I see, I must have been misinformed. The point still stands though; unless one has already met their offer then one is unlikely to receive any closure until at least the 15th.

I fail to see why it is funny though?

Yeah, I'm just setting the record straight for other users in a similar situation.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3392

Scary stuff when you spell it out like that :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3393
Will we get a text in the night before results day to say if we've been accepted?
Original post by Noonoo
Will be thinking of you, do let me know how it goes. We all know how it feels....lets support one another! Which college you hoping for?

My dad is terminally ill so I feel a real pressure to get in and give him such pride.......:eek: its terrifying..........

good luck.......

Wow there's a lot happening in your life at the moment. Remember that your dad will be proud of you no matter what. And savour your last moments with him - whilst I've never had to go through something like this (thankfully), I've gone through more than my fair share of exams and trust me when I say your personal life is so much more important than a grade.

Good luck :smile:

Original post by jysim123
Hi guys! I've already gotten my results, but I missed my offer by one mere subject (and I exceeded the grades for my other subjects!). Should I write in to appeal right now (I take the CIE A-levels, so my results came out sooner!) or should I just wait until Cambridge updates on Track? :smile: Any advice will be appreciated, thanks!

You should email your college to let them know - hopefully they'll be able to consider you in more detail before the mad rush on Thursday. If you're in the summer pool, hopefully your college will let you know of any updates before Track so make sure you have your phone with you (and you'll need email access too).

If however Track updates then that is authoritative and if its unfortunately a rejection there's nothing more you can do.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by ke95
Will we get a text in the night before results day to say if we've been accepted?

I've not heard anything saying that we would...where are you getting this idea from?! x
Original post by Bulbasaur
I'd put them at something like 61 A, 68 A* given there was quite a lot of unusual questions. But we'll see in two weeks I guess.

You were spot on! :biggrin:

Yeah, and I probably missed out on the A* by one UMS. Reckon I will get 81 with my 62 raw marks although I needed 82.
Original post by Buongiorno
You were spot on! :biggrin:

Yeah, and I probably missed out on the A* by one UMS. Reckon I will get 81 with my 62 raw marks although I needed 82.

Well, what can I say? :wink: I'm not surprised at all - it just seemed like the right mark.

See, if I work it out myself, I get 81 as well. Yet, my UMS converter comes up with 82 with 62 raw marks. Plus you may have got a mark or two that you wouldn't have expected. So don't give up hope yet :smile:

Hopefully you'll A* one or more of your other subjects anyway, but if not, I'd like to think they wouldn't reject you on the basis of missing an A* by a single mark :s-smilie:

Either way, let me know what happens :biggrin:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 3398
Good luck to everyone getting their results tomorrow and hope we all get to Cambridge.
Original post by Bulbasaur
Well, what can I say? :wink: I'm not surprised at all - it just seemed like the right mark.

See, if I work it out myself, I get 81 as well. Yet, my UMS converter comes up with 82 with 62 raw marks. Plus you may have got a mark or two that you wouldn't have expected. So don't give up hope yet :smile:

Hopefully you'll A* one or more of your other subjects anyway, but if not, I'd like to think they wouldn't reject you on the basis of missing an A* by a single mark :s-smilie:

Either way, let me know what happens :biggrin:

I will be sure to let you know! I know wishing luck is pretty useless now, but hope everything goes well for us.... and track updates at like 7. :rolleyes:

Latest

Trending

Trending