The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by und
Oh wow. :rofl:

St John's looks pretty chill though. Was it the DoS for pure maths that was on your back?

Yes! But he's gone now.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Comanche13
Finally a rejection email and change of UCAS after 11 months of applications, interviews, winter pool letters, no letters, no communication, then open offer, then miss by 1%, then summer pool then down to last two people for course then rejection. What a long, stressful ride on top of exams and revision. Not sure I would recommend the ride to anyone. I am immensely proud of my daughter who will be a success wherever she goes and that she got so far in the whole process, but secretly feel it is their loss!

Congratulations indeed to her for getting so far- any uni should welcome her very warmly with open arms, and feel proud they've got such a great student. I'm glad you've finally got closure after all the stress and waiting! The best of luck to your daughter wherever she goes :smile:
Original post by Comanche13
Finally a rejection email and change of UCAS after 11 months of applications, interviews, winter pool letters, no letters, no communication, then open offer, then miss by 1%, then summer pool then down to last two people for course then rejection. What a long, stressful ride on top of exams and revision. Not sure I would recommend the ride to anyone. I am immensely proud of my daughter who will be a success wherever she goes and that she got so far in the whole process, but secretly feel it is their loss!

My brother also missed his offer (then rejection) and was so, so close... It was because the school controlled assessments were moderated down, so everyone got much lower than expected. What's worse is that after the last few days franticly ringing and emailing unis for clearing, he has his Gold Duke of Edinburgh walk tomorrow! He has barely slept this past week! You should be so proud of her, especially after all the stress she has been through. As someone who has watched my brother go through the whole Cambridge process, followed by a Summer Pool rejection, it has actually put me off applying there. I would hate to go through all the admissions tests and interviews, to end up with a rejection at the Summer Pool stage. I wish her the best of luck wherever she goes, I'm sure she is going to do very well, and I hope she and you aren't too upset.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Alix_js
My brother also missed his offer (then rejection) and was so, so close... It was because the school controlled assessments were moderated down, so everyone got much lower than expected. What's worse is that after the last few days franticly ringing and emailing unis for clearing, he has his Gold Duke of Edinburgh walk tomorrow! He has barely slept this past week! You should be so proud of her, especially after all the stress she has been through. As someone who has watched my brother go through the whole Cambridge process, followed by a Summer Pool rejection, it has actually put me off applying there. I would hate to go through all the admissions tests and interviews, to end up with a rejection at the Summer Pool stage. I wish her the best of luck wherever she goes, I'm sure she is going to do very well, and I hope she and you aren't too upset.

Thanks for the kind words and ha ha I had forgotten the nightmare for her of the BMAT on top for admission. I would definitely encourage people to think long and hard about the whole stretched out application process. It has definitely been character building and hopefully not to be repeated. She was very upset yesterday but is now moving forward and was lucky enough to have an excellent insurance offer at another Veterinary School so not all bad. Wishing your brother all the best for the future aswell.
Original post by Powerfrau
Congratulations indeed to her for getting so far- any uni should welcome her very warmly with open arms, and feel proud they've got such a great student. I'm glad you've finally got closure after all the stress and waiting! The best of luck to your daughter wherever she goes :smile:

Thanks very much for your kind words, so many nice people on TSR.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by TheMagicMan
Yes! But he's gone now.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I knew he shouldn't have been standing near the balcony that night... :sadnod:
Reply 3646
Boo :frown:

Bye y'all.

(Missed STEP and rejected from pool)
Original post by FO12DY
Boo :frown:

Bye y'all.

(Missed STEP and rejected from pool)

Oh man, sorry to hear that :frown: off to Imperial then?
Reply 3648
hey everyone, first congrats to all who got in and condolences to those who missed it by a whisker... well i actually had a couple questions, first has anyone got accommodation letters yet? and second is there any restriction on the number of clubs or societies we can join, apart from time? thanks :smile:
Reply 3649
Found out that I was put into the pool after missing my STEP offer for CompSci with Maths and I had a day of frantic worrying as my STEP was relly bad (a 3 and a U) but I got the call on Friday saying that Jesus picked me up for CompSci with NatSci :biggrin: I don't care about changing course and after looking at Jesus it's really starting to grow on me!

Still can't believe I can say that I'm a Cambridge undergrad and for it to be true...
Original post by Loulybob
Found out that I was put into the pool after missing my STEP offer for CompSci with Maths and I had a day of frantic worrying as my STEP was relly bad (a 3 and a U) but I got the call on Friday saying that Jesus picked me up for CompSci with NatSci :biggrin: I don't care about changing course and after looking at Jesus it's really starting to grow on me!

Still can't believe I can say that I'm a Cambridge undergrad and for it to be true...

WOW well done!!

I did not know they could change your course like that!

However, you must be over the moon. :biggrin:

**DISCLAIMER**I could not careless about stupid grammar Nazis I alternate typing my comments from my iPod to my computer. As long as my comment is legible and you can understand my points that is what ultimately matters on a forum.**DISCLAIMER**
:h:
Reply 3651
Original post by hannah60000
WOW well done!!

I did not know they could change your course like that!

However, you must be over the moon. :biggrin:

**DISCLAIMER**I could not careless about stupid grammar Nazis I alternate typing my comments from my iPod to my computer. As long as my comment is legible and you can understand my points that is what ultimately matters on a forum.**DISCLAIMER**

It happens sometimes with CompSci as long as you meet the requirements for your A-levels which is usually A*AA and considering I got A*A*A (and my last A was 1 UMS off an A*, getting some coursework remarked will hopefully raise that) I exceeded that offer. The STEP is just for Maths and so if you only miss out on the STEP offer if they have places on CompSci with NatSci and they like you they'll just put you on that course!

I was hoping that would happen and I was so glad it did, I was kicking myself for choosing the Maths option as soon as I sat my STEP papers OTL
Original post by karan_g
hey everyone, first congrats to all who got in and condolences to those who missed it by a whisker... well i actually had a couple questions, first has anyone got accommodation letters yet? and second is there any restriction on the number of clubs or societies we can join, apart from time? thanks :smile:

There's no official restriction, only how much time you can give to them without your work suffering and without them clashing with each other. Some societies have a much higher time commitment than others.
Got my grades, got confirmation letter, dog promptly ate confirmation letter.

Still, YAY! :cheers:

(Condolences to those who didn't and congrats to those who did get their grades. Feeling majorly lucky because it's only because of my AS marks that my music grade was dragged up to an A...)
Missed my offer I got AAA, but I am glad Fitz still confirmed my place after scanning the results from my school and calling up.

Today was drama, but I thank God I have still been granted a place :biggrin:

Congrats to the other who made their offers!
Condolences to the unsuccessful.
To those still holding on I wish you all the best and good luck I have my fingers :crossedf:

It's all still sinking in! :indiff:

Woo Fitz! Which course? (And congrats!)
Original post by SpecialKaye
Woo Fitz! Which course? (And congrats!)

Thanks!! Congrats as well!

History :smile:

Yourself?

Thanks!! Congrats as well!

History :smile:

Yourself?

Music. :smile: So excited for October!
(A bit worried about accommodation though, because it's reputedly tiny and I'll have a cello, a guitar and a keyboard to fit in my room...)
Are people generally waiting to buy most of the books on their reading list until we're at Cambridge to hopefully get them cheaper second-hand? Or have people bought all theirs already or are planning to before term starts? :smile:
Original post by chocoholic_x
Are people generally waiting to buy most of the books on their reading list until we're at Cambridge to hopefully get them cheaper second-hand? Or have people bought all theirs already or are planning to before term starts? :smile:

I managed to get a couple really cheaply on amazon marketplace, but for the majority of them I'll just wait. As far as I know, the books on my reading list are just recommended texts to introduce you to the subject well before you go up, rather than textbooks etc for use whilst there. May be wrong for other subjects though. :smile:S
Original post by chocoholic_x

Unless you are sure that the book is a set text for your courses and you definitely want your own copy, I would wait - your college should have enough copies of the really important stuff so you don't need to buy. Even if you decide you do want to buy, definitely browse first - different people will like different books and so you want to be sure you're making the right decision.

Latest

Trending

Trending