Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Got an offer to study Philosophy at Downing. Any other Phil students? A quick scour of this thread didn't show any!

The offer is (IB): 7, 7, 6 at higher level with 40 points overall.

ReputationRep:
    Anyone else want to be done with school already and just go to Cambridge now?

ReputationRep:
    Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes! I'm not appreciating these pesky exams that are coming between us and university! :pierre:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Buongiorno)
    Anyone else want to be done with school already and just go to Cambridge now?
    Yes, I'm so excited.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hogwartian1993)
    Oh guys, I have an amusing story to tell. Yesterday when I found out I got in we went out to celebrate and we were shopping in a charity shop and my step-dad said to the person at the desk 'She got an offer from the University of Cambridge today' and then ran off and left the aftermath to me. Safe to say that the lady behind the desk was just as excited as I was and I nearly died of embarrassment in the shop there and then. Yay for proud family members :facepalm:
    My mum did this to me in a restaurant and I then spent half the meal talking to the waiter who had been to Cambridge once, it was a little odd!

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by izzbee)
    Hi,

I've got an offer from Catz bionatsci
    Hi! Was beginning to wonder where all the Catz people were Not to mention was getting worried that I was one of the only people who didn't know the conditions of my offer til a second letter came - was this the same with you?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by johnttam)
    EESH, well our 6th form is in dagenham lol
    Do you by any chance go to dp?
    P.s Im not in A2 by the way

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by josie.roberts)
    Biology of cells, physiology of organisms, mathematical biology and maybe chemistry - not sure about the last one. How about you ?
    I'm thinking the same, not sure if I want to do three biological subjects so I thought chemistry would be good.
    The amount of contact time seems like a lot - we're going to be very busy if we meet our offers! Speaking of which, what's your offer?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bíborcsiga)
    I was a direct applicant and had my interviews at Newnham, so if you have anything to ask about the college, go ahead. (Not that I'm an expert after two days, or anything.)

Oh, wow, so you're studying two languages as a History applicant? That's great.
    Why did you choose to apply directly? I've just been looking at the prospectus now - looks beautiful! (Probably a little vain, but I'm very glad I didn't get pooled to an ugly college!) Is there any information on how much food costs at newnham? can't see anything on the site! Also, printing and photocopying!

ReputationRep:
    Are there post offer open days? Or should I just book onto a Cambridge open day? Also are all the colleges open on a university open day?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by notsure)
    Do you by any chance go to dp?
    P.s Im not in A2 by the way

nahh robert clack

ReputationRep:
    Also, out of interest, was anyone here on the Sutton Trust Summer School to the US??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Florence321)
    Haha, this is exactly the kind of thing my dad would do. Even when I was simply applying, he told the local butcher...
    I went to buy a laptop (mainly for uni) with my parents and my dad goes up to one of the people in the shop and goes... "My son here is applying for Maths at Oxford, will this laptop be able to take mathematical software?"

I wanted to cry

(Btw I'm just a nosy Oxford applicant :P)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bíborcsiga)
    Just a thought, but might it be because of your age? I've heard of 'enforced' deferred entries before because the student in question wouldn't have been 18 by the time the course started or something. But I guess they would've mentioned this to you? The best thing might indeed be to ask them about the reason and whether they'd take you next year. Congratulations nevertheless.
    Ah yeh that would make sense except I'm right in the middle of my year with a birthday in March. Interesting shout though, thanks X

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Spheniscidae)
    Anyone else got an offer from Magdalene? Mine was for Medicine, but there seemed to be a really small number of people going for Magdalene this year!
    Magdalene for Medicine too Congratulations!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sewm47)
    I'm thinking the same, not sure if I want to do three biological subjects so I thought chemistry would be good.
    The amount of contact time seems like a lot - we're going to be very busy if we meet our offers! Speaking of which, what's your offer?
    My thinking exactly and i know i'll do better at a chemistry module than at a physics one
    My offer is A*AA in any order from Maths, Biology Chemistry. Still haven't gotten over my excitement! How about you?

ReputationRep:
    Got made an offer from Girton for Computer Science! W00ters!

I feel like I've died and gone to binaryland!

ReputationRep:
    What units are people with PhysNatSci Offers taking?

I was thinking, physics, earth science, materials science and mathematics B, although it sounds a tad heavy!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by parentlurker)
    I think the normal reason for doing this at Cambridge is that they think you'd benefit from the extra maturity. Sometimes universities do it because they want to give you a place but they haven't room this year. If you really don't want a gap year ask quickly and if they say no ask again when the results come out in case some people miss their offers.
    (Original post by Phia7)
    It's because you ticked "I would consider an offer for deferred entry 2014" or something on the SAQ.
    Gap years are awesome. Get planning now and you'll benefit so much from the experience
    Ok cheers guys, makes sense. I did tick that box it is true. Might sling them an email, but over the weekend a gap year has started to sound more and more appealing. Congrats on your offers! What for / where?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by theminimg)
    Why did you choose to apply directly? I've just been looking at the prospectus now - looks beautiful! (Probably a little vain, but I'm very glad I didn't get pooled to an ugly college!) Is there any information on how much food costs at newnham? can't see anything on the site! Also, printing and photocopying!
    Random nugget of information: Newnham is apparently the slut college

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.