The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by thompa
Hi all
My son has an offer for Caius ( mml ) this year and I was wondering what a typical week at Cambridge would entail.
As much info as possible please.
I am a little worried as we are not a well off family and he has worked extremely hard to get to Cambridge.I am sure it is rubbish but I am a little concerned that his working class roots will not fit in even though he knows and says that we have nothing to worry about.
Thanks in advance all:confused:

Don't worry about what others have said, I'd say it's admirable that you're looking out for your son's welfare. Your son is correct that there isn't really anything to worry about, although I don't know how much detail he has gone into as to why. Specifically, over 50% of all Cambridge undergraduates are not from private schools. Of course, all these people who don't go to private schools won't necessarily be working class, but that's not an issue either. Cambridge has a large array of students from a large variety of classes and nationalities, and irrespective of class your son should fit in just fine. There's the common perception that Cambridge is very elitist, but it simply isn't true.

I can't say what an average week would be specifically for MML, but regardless of subject the Cambridge week can be very intense. It certainly won't be easy; it will likely be a combination of lectures, supervisions and essays, although any MML offer holders/students can correct me on that. The vast majority of students still make the time to have a social life, however - it's only a small minority who can't balance the two effectively.
Original post by thompa
A little harsh I think but point taken:smile:

Sorry, I'll rephrase what I said; he'll be fine! over 60% of students are state school
Original post by bíborcsiga
I think we can either send them a letter or an email. An email seems the more convenient choice (at least for me). :smile: (To what email address is another question... the regular admissions office one?) Also :hello: fellow Newnhamite!

Im newnham too!!:smile: what subject?:smile:
I've been offered a place at Robinson's College to read Geography (through the pool) I was called on Saturday but haven't had a letter or email with the details of my offer, is this normal?

(Posted this in the pool thread, advised to come here)

:smile:
Reply 984
Original post by Muppetmad
Don't worry about what others have said, I'd say it's admirable that you're looking out for your son's welfare. Your son is correct that there isn't really anything to worry about, although I don't know how much detail he has gone into as to why. Specifically, over 50% of all Cambridge undergraduates are not from private schools. Of course, all these people who don't go to private schools won't necessarily be working class, but that's not an issue either. Cambridge has a large array of students from a large variety of classes and nationalities, and irrespective of class your son should fit in just fine. There's the common perception that Cambridge is very elitist, but it simply isn't true.

I can't say what an average week would be specifically for MML, but regardless of subject the Cambridge week can be very intense. It certainly won't be easy; it will likely be a combination of lectures, supervisions and essays, although any MML offer holders/students can correct me on that. The vast majority of students still make the time to have a social life, however - it's only a small minority who can't balance the two effectively.

Thanks for that. It is really appreciated:smile:
Original post by blurofthestars
I've been offered a place at Robinson's College to read Geography (through the pool) I was called on Saturday but haven't had a letter or email with the details of my offer, is this normal?

This is exactly the same as me - I have been offered a place at Robinson for Law to read Law through the pool and was called on Saturday. I need written confirmation so I can believe it haha :smile:
Original post by mimx
There were lots when I went down for interview. I felt kind of strange and unloved.

I love you. You can be my shon <3.
Original post by thompa
Hi all
My son has an offer for Caius ( mml ) this year and I was wondering what a typical week at Cambridge would entail.
As much info as possible please.
I am a little worried as we are not a well off family and he has worked extremely hard to get to Cambridge.I am sure it is rubbish but I am a little concerned that his working class roots will not fit in even though he knows and says that we have nothing to worry about.
Thanks in advance all:confused:

Here is an alternative prospectus from Caius students which gives an example of a typical week for an arts student http://caiusjcr.co.uk/files/public/Gonville%20&%20Caius%20Alternative%20Prospectus%202011-2013.pdf
Reply 988
Original post by izzbee
I sent an email confirming that I would like to accept the place :smile: as for the documents I have copies of the certificates of my exam results to send off, and today I asked at school about the student support bit and they said that you can apply for it around February and then you recieve all sorts of letters from student finance that you could use as confirmation. :smile: As a treat for getting a Cam offer you should get an fb account :wink:

Oh right cos I keep rereading my letter and convince myself that it doesn't need anything from me yet, but everyone else I know has sent them letters or other papers :s-smilie: besides, I'd quite like to wait and see what happens with Durham before I do anything final like accept the place, just in case :tongue:
Reply 989
Original post by Dark Lord of Mordor
Here is an alternative prospectus from Caius students which gives an example of a typical week for an arts student http://caiusjcr.co.uk/files/public/Gonville%20&%20Caius%20Alternative%20Prospectus%202011-2013.pdf

Thanks very much
Original post by blurofthestars

Congratulations on joining the Geography crewage :biggrin: :biggrin:
Original post by marmitetoast
Im newnham too!!:smile: what subject?:smile:

Linguistics! :smile: Yourself?
Hmm... I've been wondering how to write the letter to the admissions office saying that I accept the offer - do I have to write much more than "thank you for the offer & opportunity and I will be firmly accepting the offer"?

It seems a bit short, though I suppose it's better than waffling on for ages about how grateful I am, etc. What has everyone else written?
Original post by Spheniscidae
Hmm... I've been wondering how to write the letter to the admissions office saying that I accept the offer - do I have to write much more than "thank you for the offer & opportunity and I will be firmly accepting the offer"?

It seems a bit short, though I suppose it's better than waffling on for ages about how grateful I am, etc. What has everyone else written?

I emailed mine saying

Dear ....

Thank you so much for offering me a place to read PBS at Corpus for entry in October 2013. I am just emailing to say that I will be accepting the offer of a place here.

Your Sincerely,

and then UCAS code and Subject and Name.

I got a reply the next day saying thank you :smile:
Original post by Hol123
yeh only got 2 exams so I havn't really got an excuse!:P thats the majority of the course then haha, and yes thats based on my A-level subjects I suppose bt I've never studied philosophy so perhaps I shall be intrigued! I saw you also applied to UCL, so did I. Will it be your insurance choice? I don't know which one to pick, I don't want to think about not getting in!!

Aha yeah, I don't know how I'll reduce the shortlist down to two. XD

Oh yes I suppose! :smile: Though, I'm slightly worried because it says that you need the approval of those teaching the course in order to take the Philosophy course and I've only taken one essay subject. We shall see I guess.

Oh yes I did. I won't be putting it as my insurance though, because their offer was A*AA so it wouldn't really much of a safety net. What other universities were you thinking of putting as your insurance?

Also, did I ask, what college have you got an offer from? :smile:
Original post by Jackkkkk
I emailed mine saying

Dear ....

Thank you so much for offering me a place to read PBS at Corpus for entry in October 2013. I am just emailing to say that I will be accepting the offer of a place here.

Your Sincerely,

and then UCAS code and Subject and Name.

I got a reply the next day saying thank you :smile:

Oh okay, nothing too complicated then, thank you! :smile:
Original post by Spheniscidae
Oh haha, were you two staying in the same hall of residence? I didn't actually see many medics around, but I met a couple of linguists, and there seemed to be TONS of architecture people!

We were! No, I didn't meet many either- several MMLers, the only other linguist and yes, what seemed to be loads of architects! So, is your offer reasonable? :tongue:
Original post by Crushy10
Ha how weird mines A*AA but I'm not sure if it's including Latin or not ! So I've emailed them to check, I hope it's not, I don't like Tacitus !

Poor Tacitus :tongue: Are you the doing Nero and burning Rome extract?
Original post by chocoholic_x
Oh really? Well I suppose it's not quite as exciting as having the second longest corridoor in Europe! :tongue:

Well that will be for you to decide. :wink: But no, she's lovely, I just like to insult her. Did anybody at your school also get Cambridge offers?

Oh, god, now I'm worried she's going to be a hateful genius. :tongue: (No, not really. :wink:)

Yeah, I think like three Maths people got in, but as it's technically the year below me, and the Maths classes were never very sociable, I don't really know them. One girl got in for PhysNatSci, though, and she's lovely. :smile: Also, today I went back to my school and accidentally bumped into someone from my year who's already at Cambridge doing (surprise!) Maths, and we had a nice chat. :smile: He didn't know where Newnham was actually located and freaked out when he realised it was in fact 'across the river', haha. I guess this is what one term at Cambridge does to you, you start to think of a 10-minute walk as the longest journey possible. :biggrin:

Is there the two of you from your school with this linguist friend, or are there others? :smile:
Reply 999
Original post by thompa
Thanks very much

I wouldn't worry - as someone who has come from a very much working class background everyone is treated with the same amount of respect. People realise that if you have a place then you generally deserve it.

That said, your son should prepare to be the source of (friendly!) ridicule if he has an accent of some description. I'm still getting a lot of grief from people for mine (again, I must emphasise that it's all friendly - nothing remotely offensive!).

Even those with 'posh' accents get some grief!

Latest

Trending

Trending