Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I keep experiencing a slight discomfort when people say "have a great year at Cambridge". Any mathmos feeling the same?...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wibletg)
    I wouldn't worry - as someone who has come from a very much working class background everyone is treated with the same amount of respect. People realise that if you have a place then you generally deserve it.

That said, your son should prepare to be the source of (friendly!) ridicule if he has an accent of some description. I'm still getting a lot of grief from people for mine (again, I must emphasise that it's all friendly - nothing remotely offensive!).

Even those with 'posh' accents get some grief!
    Cheers for that my freind " GEORDIES!!!!!!"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheHaylio)
    Track just updated

Newnham- Land Ec
    St John's - Land Ec

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wibletg)
    I wouldn't worry - as someone who has come from a very much working class background everyone is treated with the same amount of respect. People realise that if you have a place then you generally deserve it.

That said, your son should prepare to be the source of (friendly!) ridicule if he has an accent of some description. I'm still getting a lot of grief from people for mine (again, I must emphasise that it's all friendly - nothing remotely offensive!).

Even those with 'posh' accents get some grief!
    I've found that people like my accent more in England than they do at home....even if I am frequently asked to impersonate Mrs Doyle/Father Jack from Father Ted...

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

ReputationRep:
    Anyone at Emmanuel? And any phys natscis?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lord of the Flies)
    I keep experiencing a slight discomfort when people say "have a great year at Cambridge". Any mathmos feeling the same?...
    Not an mathmo, but NatSci so pretty close.

Depends on what you mean. I wouldn't say it's discomfort, more like a sudden realisation that I'm actually going to study there and it's kind of mixture of excitement and insecureness. Something like: yeah, this is awesome, but haven't I perhaps put to much weight on my shoulders? After all, it's quite a big deal, isn't it.

(Original post by Artemis 97)
    Not Emma, but Phys Nat-Sci. What subjects do you intend to choose?

(Original post by Artemis 97)
      Christ, we have Emma PhysNatScis coming out of the walls!

(Original post by banarama2)
      X
      (Original post by LAstudent)
      X
      (Original post by Meg94)
      X
      There is also a facebook group for NatSci offer holders if you wish to PM me about joining it. Well done on your offer!

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Nyolg)

Depends on what you mean. I wouldn't say it's discomfort, more like a sudden realisation that I'm actually going to study there and it's kind of mixture of excitement and insecureness. Something like: yeah, this is awesome, but haven't I perhaps put to much weight on my shoulders? After all, it's quite a big deal, isn't it.
      I have a feeling he's talking about the fact that 40-50% of maths offer holders miss their offer.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by und)
      I have a feeling he's talking about the fact that 40-50% of maths offer holders miss their offer.
      http://www.study.cam.ac.uk/undergrad...cts.html#maths

I thought you might be exagerating, but you aren't are you? Gulp.

Presumably the entry requirements for Maths are quite a lot more than the standard A*AA?

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by bb193)

Presumably the entry requirements for Maths are quite a lot more than the standard A*AA?
      One of the requirements is to get grade 1 in STEP papers II and III, which is indeed much more difficult than A*AA.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by gabriejike)
      St John's - Land Ec
      yayyy!
      What is your offer?

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by bb193)

He's not exaggerating at all. It's probably easiest to get an offer for maths - but the standard requirement exceeds all other subjects in difficulty.

(Original post by Nyolg)

The reason I mentioned mathmos is because half of us will end up losing our places.

(Original post by und)
      Indeed.

ReputationRep:
      Track finally updated.

ReputationRep:
      Firmed Cambridge on UCAS

ReputationRep:
      Pembroke maths here

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Powerfrau)
      We were! No, I didn't meet many either- several MMLers, the only other linguist and yes, what seemed to be loads of architects! So, is your offer reasonable?
      It's reasonable - A*AAA (since I'm doing 4 subjects), but it's not like I can slack off in any of my subjects either

How about yours?

(Original post by Thing8)
        Pembroke maths here
        Another!

X
        (Original post by DJMayes)
        X

ReputationRep:
        The reason I mentioned mathmos is because half of us will end up losing our places.
        Come on guys let's keep it light!

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by TheHaylio)
        yayyy!
        What is your offer?
        A*AA, A* in Economics
        How about you?

ReputationRep:
        Track has updated. IT IS REAL.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
      What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
      Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.