Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I keep experiencing a slight discomfort when people say "have a great year at Cambridge". Any mathmos feeling the same?...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wibletg)
    I wouldn't worry - as someone who has come from a very much working class background everyone is treated with the same amount of respect. People realise that if you have a place then you generally deserve it.

That said, your son should prepare to be the source of (friendly!) ridicule if he has an accent of some description. I'm still getting a lot of grief from people for mine (again, I must emphasise that it's all friendly - nothing remotely offensive!).

Even those with 'posh' accents get some grief!
    Cheers for that my freind " GEORDIES!!!!!!"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheHaylio)
    Track just updated

Newnham- Land Ec
    St John's - Land Ec

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wibletg)
    I wouldn't worry - as someone who has come from a very much working class background everyone is treated with the same amount of respect. People realise that if you have a place then you generally deserve it.

That said, your son should prepare to be the source of (friendly!) ridicule if he has an accent of some description. I'm still getting a lot of grief from people for mine (again, I must emphasise that it's all friendly - nothing remotely offensive!).

Even those with 'posh' accents get some grief!
    I've found that people like my accent more in England than they do at home....even if I am frequently asked to impersonate Mrs Doyle/Father Jack from Father Ted...

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

ReputationRep:
    Anyone at Emmanuel? And any phys natscis?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lord of the Flies)
    I keep experiencing a slight discomfort when people say "have a great year at Cambridge". Any mathmos feeling the same?...
    Not an mathmo, but NatSci so pretty close.

Depends on what you mean. I wouldn't say it's discomfort, more like a sudden realisation that I'm actually going to study there and it's kind of mixture of excitement and insecureness. Something like: yeah, this is awesome, but haven't I perhaps put to much weight on my shoulders? After all, it's quite a big deal, isn't it.

(Original post by Artemis 97)
    Not Emma, but Phys Nat-Sci. What subjects do you intend to choose?

(Original post by Artemis 97)
    Christ, we have Emma PhysNatScis coming out of the walls!

(Original post by banarama2)
    X
    (Original post by LAstudent)
    X
    (Original post by Meg94)
    X
    There is also a facebook group for NatSci offer holders if you wish to PM me about joining it. Well done on your offer!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nyolg)

Depends on what you mean. I wouldn't say it's discomfort, more like a sudden realisation that I'm actually going to study there and it's kind of mixture of excitement and insecureness. Something like: yeah, this is awesome, but haven't I perhaps put to much weight on my shoulders? After all, it's quite a big deal, isn't it.
    I have a feeling he's talking about the fact that 40-50% of maths offer holders miss their offer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by und)
    I have a feeling he's talking about the fact that 40-50% of maths offer holders miss their offer.
    http://www.study.cam.ac.uk/undergrad...cts.html#maths

I thought you might be exagerating, but you aren't are you? Gulp.

Presumably the entry requirements for Maths are quite a lot more than the standard A*AA?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bb193)

Presumably the entry requirements for Maths are quite a lot more than the standard A*AA?
    One of the requirements is to get grade 1 in STEP papers II and III, which is indeed much more difficult than A*AA.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gabriejike)
    St John's - Land Ec
    yayyy!
    What is your offer?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bb193)

He's not exaggerating at all. It's probably easiest to get an offer for maths - but the standard requirement exceeds all other subjects in difficulty.

(Original post by Nyolg)

The reason I mentioned mathmos is because half of us will end up losing our places.

(Original post by und)
    Indeed.

ReputationRep:
    Track finally updated.

ReputationRep:
    Firmed Cambridge on UCAS

ReputationRep:
    Pembroke maths here

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Powerfrau)
    We were! No, I didn't meet many either- several MMLers, the only other linguist and yes, what seemed to be loads of architects! So, is your offer reasonable?
    It's reasonable - A*AAA (since I'm doing 4 subjects), but it's not like I can slack off in any of my subjects either

How about yours?

(Original post by Thing8)
    Pembroke maths here
    Another!

X
    (Original post by DJMayes)
    X

ReputationRep:
    The reason I mentioned mathmos is because half of us will end up losing our places.
    Come on guys let's keep it light!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheHaylio)
    yayyy!
    What is your offer?
    A*AA, A* in Economics
    How about you?

ReputationRep:
    Track has updated. IT IS REAL.

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.