The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Rushtail
I'm in an international school and some of my friends are going to US colleges, so I'm jealous that they can pretty much relax while us UK offer-holders have to really study for finals :P Do you think your offer is equivalent to the standard A-level offers?

I'm not sure. The Cambridge website says they make offers to American students on a case-by-case basis, and most students have a 5 (the highest score) on five or more AP tests. I have a 5 on three tests already and a 4 on one. Most of the offers I've seen for the A-Levels are for taking three tests and getting the highest marks.
Reply 1541
Original post by lesmis
I'm not sure. The Cambridge website says they make offers to American students on a case-by-case basis, and most students have a 5 (the highest score) on five or more AP tests. I have a 5 on three tests already and a 4 on one. Most of the offers I've seen for the A-Levels are for taking three tests and getting the highest marks.

The systems are a bit different though, its only 3 A levels because most students only do 3, some 4, and very few do more than that. Each A level typically has 6 tests over the 2 years (upper/lower VI), so its probably reasonably comparable in workload to 5 APs.
I'm going to Cambridge next week - is it too early to buy college merchandise likes scarves? :tongue:
Original post by hogwartian1993
I'm going to Cambridge next week - is it too early to buy college merchandise likes scarves? :tongue:

If you have a conditional, yes its way too early. If you have an unconditional then you're just being zealous.
Original post by Synecdoche
If you have a conditional, yes its way too early. If you have an unconditional then you're just being zealous.

I have an unconditional (gap year student).
Screw it, I'm gonna do it #YOLO :biggrin:
I have an unconditional (gap year student).
Screw it, I'm gonna do it #YOLO :biggrin:

Yay, gap year student, what did you do on your year out, miss Granger?
I've already done it (hoodie). Nothing wrong with being excited about going to Cambridge! Also, how else are we supposed to survive the rest of our non-academic gap years? :wink:
If Cambridge decided that they didn't need to wait for A2 results and started their courses in February, I would be very happy...
Reply 1548
So today I went for it and firmed Cambridge and insured UCL :biggrin:
Just did a D2 paper though as revision for my exam tomorrow, and have realised that I will be completely relying on FP3 for my A* in further maths
Reply 1549
Original post by _Georgie
So today I went for it and firmed Cambridge and insured UCL :biggrin:
Just did a D2 paper though as revision for my exam tomorrow, and have realised that I will be completely relying on FP3 for my A* in further maths

That's why I'm waiting on March results.. :cool:

If I'm no closer to an A* in FM then, well.. :/
Reply 1550
Original post by FO12DY
That's why I'm waiting on March results.. :cool:

If I'm no closer to an A* in FM then, well.. :/

I think I can predict well that my D2 will maybe scrape 80 UMS, the same way my D1 went.
If I'm no closer to an A*, then I have to get a 1 in STEP otherwise I can't go to uni :rolleyes:
Reply 1551
Original post by _Georgie
I think I can predict well that my D2 will maybe scrape 80 UMS, the same way my D1 went.
If I'm no closer to an A*, then I have to get a 1 in STEP otherwise I can't go to uni :rolleyes:

For Cambridge or elsewhere?

My offer for Chuchill is conditonal on both A* in FM and 1,2 STEP.. so I'm just worried that if I have to pull up to an A* (rather than just maintain) in June, AND get 1,2 in STEP II,III, well, that I might, not... :s-smilie:
Original post by rain on dry ground
I've already done it (hoodie). Nothing wrong with being excited about going to Cambridge! Also, how else are we supposed to survive the rest of our non-academic gap years? :wink:

did you buy a college hoodie? what is it actually like - is it the one found on the ryder and amies website?
Original post by I am Ace
Yay, gap year student, what did you do on your year out, miss Granger?

Tomorrow I have a Critical Thinking exam which I don't need to do but I am and I've found it really hard to revise for because of that :tongue: I'm also doing a history coursework resit because I was ill last year so I didn't get the A* I was predicted. Again, I organised this before I got my offer so I may as well finish it and try and get the A up. And then I'm doing GCSE Latin to prepare for my degree. I also do a little bit of volunteering as well. Motivation to do things I really don't need to do anymore is hard, apart from the Latin. I love the Latin :') Are you gap year as well? :smile:
Original post by Waves_1995
did you buy a college hoodie? what is it actually like - is it the one found on the ryder and amies website?

Not directed at me but I have a college hoody and a university polo already (they were gifts) but I want more merchandise. I'll be like a walking college advertisement come October...
Original post by rain on dry ground

I know! gap years are so hard. They're good because obviously we get to go to Cam but they're bad because I think I may be insane by Michaelmas.
Not directed at me but I have a college hoody and a university polo already (they were gifts) but I want more merchandise. I'll be like a walking college advertisement come October...

:smile: You will probably find once you start your course that you have a much stronger allegiance to your college than to the university more generally - At least that's how I feel! I'd much rather buy John's stuff than Cam stuff! At this point in my life, I'm in a PhD program and scheming ways of returning to Cambridge for a JRF, and am very slightly sad about the possibility of returning and becoming a member of a different college!

<3 John's

(You will feel the same soon, I'm sure!)
Original post by Viceroy
:smile: You will probably find once you start your course that you have a much stronger allegiance to your college than to the university more generally - At least that's how I feel! I'd much rather buy John's stuff than Cam stuff! At this point in my life, I'm in a PhD program and scheming ways of returning to Cambridge for a JRF, and am very slightly sad about the possibility of returning and becoming a member of a different college!

<3 John's

(You will feel the same soon, I'm sure!)

Haha, very true! I think I'll get predominantly college merchandise, but I love my university polo. I might get a university scarf and a college scarf, purely because my college college may be difficult to colour coordinate. Oh dear, gap year insanity is definitely setting in...
Haha, very true! I think I'll get predominantly college merchandise, but I love my university polo. I might get a university scarf and a college scarf, purely because my college college may be difficult to colour coordinate. Oh dear, gap year insanity is definitely setting in...

Haha, I understand. I definitely bought both a university scarf and John's scarf before starting my MPhil. You will probably find that most people wear college scarves, but there's nothing wrong with having both :smile:

Also, just a word of advice, try to stay away from buying your gown and college/univ wear at Edes & Ravenscroft. They are MASSIVELY expensive.
Original post by Viceroy
Haha, I understand. I definitely bought both a university scarf and John's scarf before starting my MPhil. You will probably find that most people wear college scarves, but there's nothing wrong with having both :smile:

Also, just a word of advice, try to stay away from buying your gown and college/univ wear at Edes & Ravenscroft. They are MASSIVELY expensive.

Oh thank you! Going to have to bargain hunt; I guessing the £22 for a college scarf on the internet is a bit of a rip off?! If not, I'm going to be a very poor but very well college-clothed student.

Latest

Trending

Trending