Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TLi1295)
    Have any conditional offer holders replied to UCAS and firmed yet? It's scary and I'm worried I might press the wrong buttons...:giggle:
    Yeh i have it was quite scary lol i had to stare at the page for ages just to make sure ive clicked 'firm' instead of decline lol

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cantthinkofone)
    Yeh i have it was quite scary lol i had to stare at the page for ages just to make sure ive clicked 'firm' instead of decline lol

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Haha same, I even got a ruler when the UCAS letter arrived in the post and lined up my decision with each university to ensure I did the right thing...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cantthinkofone)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Loool I'll probably end up doing the same 8) Ok I'll try to do it this week - eeek!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Llewellyn)
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/cambridgefreshers2013/

You have to have all 5 decisions in before you can reply (i.e. firm) to speed this up, you can "withdraw" from Bristol and then firm Cambridge.

Ah thanks so much! Have withdrawn from Bristol - rude of them to keep me waiting for so long when they said they would let me know by 10th January anyway! Have officially firmed up Cambridge - eek! The joys of being a gap year student mean its unconditional so all being well I should be there in October

On a separate note - does anyone have any experience of applying for a Disabled Student Allowance - I have a long term illness - but I have NO IDEA what applying for DSA entails or what benefits there are?
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    I know I'm rather late in joining this thread - bur hi all I got an unconditional offer to study English at Lucy Cavendish through the pool. I'm not massively excited about the college, but I am about Cambridge so I'm intending to make the best of it

Has anyone else been looking at the list of societies - or is that just me, because of my lack of enthusiasm for my college? They look awesome!

ReputationRep:
    Hm, how much truth is there in this, do you think? http://www.facebook.com/groups/cambr...7077200008663/

:hmmm:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lord of the Flies)
    Hm, how much truth is there in this, do you think? http://www.facebook.com/groups/cambr...7077200008663/

Hmmm... none, I'd say. If there were issues with his visa, I imagine he'd have been asked to interview elsewhere or his college would have suggested he reapply the following year. Besides, he says he got an offer for deferred entry - that would frankly be stupid, why offer a place for deferred entry to somebody they haven't interviewed when they can simply ask them to reapply the year after and then actually be able to assess them properly? I'm unconvinced.

ReputationRep:

I saw this earlier and had to read it twice. It seems unlikely but you never know with Cambridge!

ReputationRep:

(Original post by Muppetmad)
    Hmmm... none, I'd say. If there were issues with his visa, I imagine he'd have been asked to interview elsewhere or his college would have suggested he reapply the following year. Besides, he says he got an offer for deferred entry - that would frankly be stupid, why offer a place for deferred entry to somebody they haven't interviewed when they can simply ask them to reapply the year after and then actually be able to assess them properly? I'm unconvinced.
    I would agree, and also it is not unknown for a college to interview over the phone or pool you so that a college that could interview over the phone can fish you. I would be curious to find out his college and subject, and then when the time comes someone who's definitely going to the same college will be able to check.

It's more plausible perhaps if it's for maths, since they are more lax about giving offers as long as you pass STEP.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ukdragon37)
    I would agree, and also it is not unknown for a college to interview over the phone or pool you so that a college that could interview over the phone can fish you. I would be curious to find out his college and subject, and then when the time comes someone who's definitely going to the same college will be able to check.

It's more plausible perhaps if it's for maths, since they are more lax about giving offers as long as you pass STEP.
    Maths at Homerton!

ReputationRep:
    Although further stalking does reveal possible facts that corroborate with his story.

Maths at Homerton!
    As I thought. He might have come first in India across three CIE AS-levels and it's possibly his school corroborating that he got into Maths at Cambridge (headline only, can't get into the page).

ReputationRep:
    As I thought. He might have come first in India across three CIE AS-levels and it's possibly his school corroborating that he got into Maths at Cambridge (headline only, can't get into the page).
    Ah I see, he is indeed on that list. Impressive!

ReputationRep:
    http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage...-May-Ball.html

Anybody else seriously pissed off by this article? WHY ARE THEY TRYING TO MAKE THE PUBLIC HATE NORMAL, HARD WORKING PEOPLE? If you go to a normal city on a Saturday night this kind of behaviour is normal! Cambridge students do it once a year and they are condemned and stereotyped as 'toffs'. So, so angry. I feel like writing a letter of complaint. I might actually. Nasty, nasty newspaper.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hogwartian1993)

Anybody else seriously pissed off by this article? WHY ARE THEY TRYING TO MAKE THE PUBLIC HATE NORMAL, HARD WORKING PEOPLE? If you go to a normal city on a Saturday night this kind of behaviour is normal! Cambridge students do it once a year and they are condemned and stereotyped as 'toffs'. So, so angry. I feel like writing a letter of complaint. I might actually. Nasty, nasty newspaper.
    The irony is that if you check where these journalists and editors went to uni you'll find a lot of Oxbridge in there as well. It's what sells to the masses.

ReputationRep:

The Sun have poured it on quite thick, but that doesn't mean their "disdain" for this behaviour doesn't have a small element of merit. There is a fine line between having a good time and being antisocial, granted, but a few instances in that article did seem to cross that line.

ReputationRep:
    The irony is that if you check where these journalists and editors went to uni you'll find a lot of Oxbridge in there as well. It's what sells to the masses.
    Indeed. It also, unfortunately, fuels the notion that Oxbridge are biased against students from low-income backgrounds and is just full of spoiled, rich kids.

ReputationRep:

I've seen lots of articles like this one, and with most there was definitely even less reason to make a fuss.

I just can't imagine why a newspaper sends out photographers to creep around Cambridge the morning after a big May Ball - is there nothing more interesting going on in the world?

The worst part is that this sort of thing actually puts people off applying

ReputationRep:

Lol somebody got rejected from Oxbridge when they applied

ReputationRep:

It happens. A lot

I'm very much looking forward to my shot at infamy in the Daily Mail on the Sunday after exams during the Cardboard Boat Race this year

ReputationRep:
    Am I the only person finding it hard to comprehend that I'm going to Cambridge? We did it, guys. The University of Cambridge. I found out over two weeks ago and I'm still finding it hard to understand. The University of Cambridge want to teach me. Us.
    :smartass::groovy::^_^::badger::bban::awesome:
    Sorry about the emoticon abuse, I just feel its necessary to convey my feelings...
    No, that sums my feelings up pretty well, excessive use of emoticons and all

(Original post by Mattyd951)
    Anyone else for Pembroke? Or Maths?
    Pembroke, BioNatSci Oh, and so very very happy/proud/excited

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.