Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DavidH20)
    Just got an email from my DOS saying, and I quote, "now that you've got this offer - it's important not to screw it up..."

No pressure then :lol:
    Because I'm on a gap year I'm meeting my DOS and language teacher in two and a half weeks. So scared and excited!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hogwartian1993)
    Because I'm on a gap year I'm meeting my DOS and language teacher in two and a half weeks. So scared and excited!
    Oo thats exciting. What will you discuss ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Oromis263)
    Definitely. I've nothing else to do with my time, so I'm going to try and get it up to a decent standard, at least in written and reading comprehension. Trying to get my hands on Norwegian translations of books has proved difficult though.
    Isn't that what the internet is for? I would think you could download any book you wanted to.

(Original post by Kavalier)
      Isn't that what the internet is for? I would think you could download any book you wanted there.
      I'm aiming at something simple to read, along the lines of Harry Potter, as I know the general story behind it, and can guess a lot of the words so would make reading quicker. I've got an audiobook, but it won't quite be the same. >.< Any suggestions for something to read would be welcomed.

ReputationRep:
      In the letter when they ask for proof that you've applied for student finance what sort of proof are they asking for?

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by hogwartian1993)
      I'm sure you'll have great fun I'm not going to lie, I envy you unconditionals somewhat...you're allowed to say "I'm going to Cambridge" without the inclusion of "providing I get the grades..."

ReputationRep:
      quick question- why are people applying for student finance already? i thought it didn't have to be done until april or something, i'm getting worried i've got the deadline wrong! can someone explain the process for me? (sorry to be a pain)

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Rory_M)
      In the letter when they ask for proof that you've applied for student finance what sort of proof are they asking for?
      Student finance breakdown? You get that once your application's been processed.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by mischief-managed)
      quick question- why are people applying for student finance already? i thought it didn't have to be done until april or something, i'm getting worried i've got the deadline wrong! can someone explain the process for me? (sorry to be a pain)
      We're just keen

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by mischief-managed)
      Well I don't know about others but I'm on a gap year and want to get it sorted sooner rather than later before I go travelling.

ReputationRep:
      Hi guys, I could use some advice: I have an unconditional offer from Cambridge and am fully planning to take it up, but I haven't firmed yet because I'm awaiting the outcome of three other choices.

On the one hand I would like to cancel them so they won't 'waste' an offer on me, but on the other hand I'm worried that it might be bad form, especially since I've had an interview at one of my choices?

My parents keep telling me to wait because 'a second option might still prove useful', but I think that's just their thinly disguised way of saying that they think I'm not smart enough for Cambridge :unimpressed:

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Brighter_Star)
      Hi guys, I could use some advice: I have an unconditional offer from Cambridge and am fully planning to take it up, but I haven't firmed yet because I'm awaiting the outcome of three other choices.

On the one hand I would like to cancel them so they won't 'waste' an offer on me, but on the other hand I'm worried that it might be bad form, especially since I've had an interview at one of my choices?

My parents keep telling me to wait because 'a second option might still prove useful', but I think that's just their thinly disguised way of saying that they think I'm not smart enough for Cambridge :unimpressed:
      If you've got an unconditional and are planning on taking it up, there's nothing wrong with turning down your other choices. It means they don't have to spend any more time/money on dealing with your application. They're extremely unlikely to be personally offended as you are probably just another applicant number. So if you definitely want to pick Cambridge, just do it!

ReputationRep:

If you think there's a possibility you might want to go to any of the other options, then wait. If Cambridge is the only one you want, or the one you know you want the most, firm it. If you aren't certain, you have nothing to lose by waiting.

However, don't worry about etiquette: universities know the score and won't be offended. And as your offer is unconditional, a second option is a little redundant unless you want that one more than Cambridge...and you have written confirmation that you're smart enough :lol:

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Kavalier)
      Well I can tell you it's just lovely, especially on days like today where they send around 600 letters

Oh wow, that sounds like an amazing trip. You must be away for quite a while in order to visit so many places? I'm only gone for around 5 weeks, leaving on May 10!
      ahhh that sounds so much fun...

Yeah i'm going for 5 months! Slightly worried as its so long, but oh well! At least if I do get home sick it will be on a beach somewhere! :P

ReputationRep:
      Hey All!

So I have an offer from Wolfson which is amazing
      One thing though - no one seems to know anything about the college and how well undergraduates there integrate with ones from other colleges... Would really like to get some sort of an idea!!!

cheers

ReputationRep:
      Hello everyone - congratulations to all offer holders, conditional and unconditional alike

I was wondering if someone here could clarify an issue of mine. I had my Cambridge interviews on the 5th of December, and was afflicted by the usual post-interview jitters on my return journey (I hail from Denmark btw). I eventually discovered the undergraduate statistics page and when I looked up my course & college (NatSci @ Downing) for the last 5 years most of my hopes shattered...

Nevertheless I've been exceptionally lucky to receive a conditional offer from Downing in early Jan - incredibly grateful too - but I'm still flabbergasted... I know it's Cambridge and it's a nice college, but it's not Trinity or Emmanuel! What's up with the amount of NatSci applicants at Downing?

I rushed through the other statistics so I'm not completely certain, but it seems to be the place with the highest number of applicants per place for NatSci.

I'm rather new to the entire Oxbridge thing so does anyone know what I'm missing here?

ReputationRep:
      Have any Mathematicians on here heard back from their respective colleges, either for STEP easter school or anything else? I'm paranoid as I sent off Pembroke's letter and firmed the place over two weeks ago, and haven't heard anything since the offer letter back in January.

ReputationRep:

I have an unconditional offer also, I had an interview elsewhere lined up, I rang them and said that I wanted to withdraw. She seemed very happy with this saying they could give the place to someone else, she even congratulated me on my Cambridge offer. I withdrew from my other 3 choices on UCAS to firm Cambridge! I wouldn't worry about being 'bad form' as most of the time that is the way they communicate with us anyway. Unless you have any doubts about Cambridge I would say go for it, you'll have to do it sooner or later!

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Morx)
      Hello everyone - congratulations to all offer holders, conditional and unconditional alike

I was wondering if someone here could clarify an issue of mine. I had my Cambridge interviews on the 5th of December, and was afflicted by the usual post-interview jitters on my return journey (I hail from Denmark btw). I eventually discovered the undergraduate statistics page and when I looked up my course & college (NatSci @ Downing) for the last 5 years most of my hopes shattered...

Nevertheless I've been exceptionally lucky to receive a conditional offer from Downing in early Jan - incredibly grateful too - but I'm still flabbergasted... I know it's Cambridge and it's a nice college, but it's not Trinity or Emmanuel! What's up with the amount of NatSci applicants at Downing?

I rushed through the other statistics so I'm not completely certain, but it seems to be the place with the highest number of applicants per place for NatSci.

I'm rather new to the entire Oxbridge thing so does anyone know what I'm missing here?
      There are a couple of reasons I can think of:
      -Downing is quite central, and central colleges tend to be popular.
      -Downing is right next to the Downing site which is where a lot of lectures are held for NatSci.
      -Downing has a high standard of accommodation and has pulchritudinous grounds in general.
      -Downing has a reputation for being 'good' for NatSci, much like Pembroke has.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Helenia)
      If you've got an unconditional and are planning on taking it up, there's nothing wrong with turning down your other choices. It means they don't have to spend any more time/money on dealing with your application. They're extremely unlikely to be personally offended as you are probably just another applicant number. So if you definitely want to pick Cambridge, just do it!
      Thanks a lot for the advice I'll be firming later today - as soon as I've found someone to look over my shoulder and help make sure that I don't mess it up

(Original post by DavidH20)
      If you think there's a possibility you might want to go to any of the other options, then wait. If Cambridge is the only one you want, or the one you know you want the most, firm it. If you aren't certain, you have nothing to lose by waiting.

However, don't worry about etiquette: universities know the score and won't be offended. And as your offer is unconditional, a second option is a little redundant unless you want that one more than Cambridge...and you have written confirmation that you're smart enough :lol:
      Ha, you're right, thank you! My parents keep reminding me that I 'only got my offer through the pool' and 'should remain realistic', which isn't very encouraging But you're right; I got my offer and I'm fully planning to make the most of it

(Original post by Hiro2008)
      I have an unconditional offer also, I had an interview elsewhere lined up, I rang them and said that I wanted to withdraw. She seemed very happy with this saying they could give the place to someone else, she even congratulated me on my Cambridge offer. I withdrew from my other 3 choices on UCAS to firm Cambridge! I wouldn't worry about being 'bad form' as most of the time that is the way they communicate with us anyway. Unless you have any doubts about Cambridge I would say go for it, you'll have to do it sooner or later!
      Ah, good to hear they didn't mind - I'll be firming later today!

1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.