Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DJMayes)
    Current STEP stats:

Spoiler:
    Show

STEP I - 144 Questions (103 Pure, 26 Mechanics, 15 Statistics)
    STEP II - 65 Questions (51 Pure, 10 Mechanics, 4 Statistics)
    STEP III - 74 Questions (64 Pure, 7 Mechanics, 3 Statistics)

These are off of 19 I papers, 9 II papers and 10 III papers, with an average questions per paper of 7.45.

Spoiler:
    Show
    Right, I should get cracking then, when did you start preparing? I thought I was rushing too much :O

STEP I - 67 Questions (65 Pure, 2 Statistics)
    STEP II - 41 Questions (34 Pure, 1 Mechanics, 6 Statistics)
    Note: Haven't finished M2 or FP3.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Snowdog94)
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Right, I should get cracking then, when did you start preparing? I thought I was rushing too much :O

If you are purposefully avoiding STEP III because you haven't finished the FM syllabus then I wouldn't worry, you can probably attempt quite a number of the pure questions without complete knowledge (depending on your board - and your board may not completely cover the STEP III syllabus - which is something you need to find out sooner rather than later).

There are approximately 1,000 questions in total, so I wouldn't worry about running out of material.

ReputationRep:
    Spoiler:
    Show

Started doing I in October with at least a question a day, and moved on to II and III (Still doing I questions as well though!) in January. If you want an example of how much I do per day at the minute, then I've done 3 III questions so far today.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Llewellyn)
    If you are purposefully avoiding STEP III because you haven't finished the FM syllabus then I wouldn't worry, you can probably attempt quite a number of the pure questions without complete knowledge (depending on your board - and your board may not completely cover the STEP III syllabus - which is something you need to find out sooner rather than later).

There are approximately 1,000 questions in total, so I wouldn't worry about running out of material.
    Thank you, yes, I was avoiding STEP III. I think I may have a go this weekend, my understanding is a lot of it is FP2 content anyway.

Started doing I in October with at least a question a day, and moved on to II and III (Still doing I questions as well though!) in January. If you want an example of how much I do per day at the minute, then I've done 3 III questions so far today.
    I've only really been properly preparing since January so I guess I have some catching up to do. I feel quite confident on Stats weirdly, it seems almost easier than a lot of Pure questions on STEP II.

ReputationRep:
    Current STEP stats:

Spoiler:
    Show

These are off of 19 I papers, 9 II papers and 10 III papers, with an average questions per paper of 7.45.

Spoiler:
    Show

**** me fellas.

I've done:

STEP I - 0 Questions -- Don't need it, may or may not take exam
    STEP II - 5 Questions (4 Pure, 1 Mechanics)
    STEP III - 0 Questions

Should also note that I did 3 of those last night, the other 2 last week. Need to get going..!

ReputationRep:
    Current STEP stats:

Spoiler:
    Show

Impressive stuff, how are you average-time-wise? ~30ish a question?
    I haven't kept track of questions done, done about 3 STEP II papers and lots of pure questions from random papers. The mechanics and stats questions seem either really easy (e.g. 2, 2-branch, tree diagrams for a whole stats question O.o ) or not worth doing in place of their pure counterparts.

ReputationRep:
    Current STEP stats:

Spoiler:
    Show

Wow, that's impressive. I don't keep track of how many questions I've done but as a rough estimate, probably slightly more than you in STEP II, but much fewer in STEP III - I'm only starting the papers properly this week. I never did much STEP I. Is it worth doing?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by und)
    Wow, that's impressive. I don't keep track of how many questions I've done but as a rough estimate, probably slightly more than you in STEP II, but much fewer in STEP III - I'm only starting the papers properly this week. I never did much STEP I. Is it worth doing?
    I think it's worth looking at in addition to, but not in place of, II and III questions. A lot of mine were done before January, as I was doing STEP I in order to get used to STEP in general early, and I have found it extremely helpful.

ReputationRep:
    I think it's worth looking at in addition to, but not in place of, II and III questions. A lot of mine were done before January, as I was doing STEP I in order to get used to STEP in general early, and I have found it extremely helpful.
    I started STEP quite early too, but I was doing more STEP II than STEP I, just because I figured that if I can do STEP II, then I can do the easier version. I know someone who did almost all of STEP I before his interview, and I don't think I'm any worse off than him at this point.

I have seen some rather difficult STEP I questions, and it could potentially be a goldmine for tricks and methods, but I don't think I have the time for that now. I'll barely finish II and III by June.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by und)
    I started STEP quite early too, but I was doing more STEP II than STEP I, just because I figured that if I can do STEP II, then I can do the easier version. I know someone who did almost all of STEP I before his interview, and I don't think I'm any worse off than him at this point.

I have seen some rather difficult STEP I questions, and it could potentially be a goldmine for tricks and methods, but I don't think I have the time for that now. I'll barely finish II and III by June.
    Are you saying that I requires more ingenuity - I'm paraphrasing - or have I misinterpreted?

ReputationRep:
    To anyone with Maths offers, do we put down the 3 or 4 year course on Student Finance? I'm really confused...

ReputationRep:
    To anyone with Maths offers, do we put down the 3 or 4 year course on Student Finance? I'm really confused...
    4 I think.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ben-smith)
    4 I think.
    OK, thanks. I hate application forms...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by I am Ace)
    Are you saying that I requires more ingenuity - I'm paraphrasing - or have I misinterpreted?
    Not necessarily. I just know that there are a lot of questions that teach certain tricks or methods.

Put four years, otherwise you can't get a loan for Part III.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by und)
    Not necessarily. I just know that there are a lot of questions that teach certain tricks or methods.

Put four years, otherwise you can't get a loan for Part III.
    I/II aren't that different, except that I often includes questions which aren't dense mathematically but are difficult conceptually whereas II tends to be more mathematically in-depth overall. As said before, I think they should complement each other rather than replacing each other, as it's all STEP practise.

ReputationRep:
    Could you guys comment on this. http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...5#post41658535

Would be interesting to see more perspectives.

ReputationRep:
    Anyone doing the STEP easter course, have you had any more information about the pre-course online sessions? I'm aware the first one starts tomorrow and I don't know how to access it haha

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by J-M3ady)
    Anyone doing the STEP easter course, have you had any more information about the pre-course online sessions? I'm aware the first one starts tomorrow and I don't know how to access it haha
    ^this. Haven't heard anything since the initial email.

ReputationRep:
    Good, should be something today/tomorrow then, was worried that my email had filtered something into the junk or somesuch. Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ecw412)
    ^this. Haven't heard anything since the initial email.
    Good, should be something today/tomorrow then, was worried that my email had filtered something into the junk or somesuch. Thanks!
    Did you guys not get an email a week or so ago? There was that and a couple of emails granting access to the NRich STEP Easter School secret message board. You should have got an email detailing the different lectures and on there, there is a link to the first lecture for you to click 10 minutes before it starts at 6. PM me and I'll copy it to you.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.