Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DJMayes)
    Current STEP stats:

Spoiler:
    Show

STEP I - 144 Questions (103 Pure, 26 Mechanics, 15 Statistics)
    STEP II - 65 Questions (51 Pure, 10 Mechanics, 4 Statistics)
    STEP III - 74 Questions (64 Pure, 7 Mechanics, 3 Statistics)

These are off of 19 I papers, 9 II papers and 10 III papers, with an average questions per paper of 7.45.

Spoiler:
    Show
    Right, I should get cracking then, when did you start preparing? I thought I was rushing too much :O

STEP I - 67 Questions (65 Pure, 2 Statistics)
    STEP II - 41 Questions (34 Pure, 1 Mechanics, 6 Statistics)
    Note: Haven't finished M2 or FP3.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Snowdog94)
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Right, I should get cracking then, when did you start preparing? I thought I was rushing too much :O

If you are purposefully avoiding STEP III because you haven't finished the FM syllabus then I wouldn't worry, you can probably attempt quite a number of the pure questions without complete knowledge (depending on your board - and your board may not completely cover the STEP III syllabus - which is something you need to find out sooner rather than later).

There are approximately 1,000 questions in total, so I wouldn't worry about running out of material.

ReputationRep:
    Spoiler:
    Show

Started doing I in October with at least a question a day, and moved on to II and III (Still doing I questions as well though!) in January. If you want an example of how much I do per day at the minute, then I've done 3 III questions so far today.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Llewellyn)
    If you are purposefully avoiding STEP III because you haven't finished the FM syllabus then I wouldn't worry, you can probably attempt quite a number of the pure questions without complete knowledge (depending on your board - and your board may not completely cover the STEP III syllabus - which is something you need to find out sooner rather than later).

There are approximately 1,000 questions in total, so I wouldn't worry about running out of material.
    Thank you, yes, I was avoiding STEP III. I think I may have a go this weekend, my understanding is a lot of it is FP2 content anyway.

Started doing I in October with at least a question a day, and moved on to II and III (Still doing I questions as well though!) in January. If you want an example of how much I do per day at the minute, then I've done 3 III questions so far today.
    I've only really been properly preparing since January so I guess I have some catching up to do. I feel quite confident on Stats weirdly, it seems almost easier than a lot of Pure questions on STEP II.

ReputationRep:
    Current STEP stats:

Spoiler:
    Show

These are off of 19 I papers, 9 II papers and 10 III papers, with an average questions per paper of 7.45.

Spoiler:
    Show

**** me fellas.

I've done:

STEP I - 0 Questions -- Don't need it, may or may not take exam
    STEP II - 5 Questions (4 Pure, 1 Mechanics)
    STEP III - 0 Questions

Should also note that I did 3 of those last night, the other 2 last week. Need to get going..!

ReputationRep:
    Current STEP stats:

Spoiler:
    Show

Impressive stuff, how are you average-time-wise? ~30ish a question?
    I haven't kept track of questions done, done about 3 STEP II papers and lots of pure questions from random papers. The mechanics and stats questions seem either really easy (e.g. 2, 2-branch, tree diagrams for a whole stats question O.o ) or not worth doing in place of their pure counterparts.

ReputationRep:
    Current STEP stats:

Spoiler:
    Show

Wow, that's impressive. I don't keep track of how many questions I've done but as a rough estimate, probably slightly more than you in STEP II, but much fewer in STEP III - I'm only starting the papers properly this week. I never did much STEP I. Is it worth doing?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by und)
    Wow, that's impressive. I don't keep track of how many questions I've done but as a rough estimate, probably slightly more than you in STEP II, but much fewer in STEP III - I'm only starting the papers properly this week. I never did much STEP I. Is it worth doing?
    I think it's worth looking at in addition to, but not in place of, II and III questions. A lot of mine were done before January, as I was doing STEP I in order to get used to STEP in general early, and I have found it extremely helpful.

ReputationRep:
    I think it's worth looking at in addition to, but not in place of, II and III questions. A lot of mine were done before January, as I was doing STEP I in order to get used to STEP in general early, and I have found it extremely helpful.
    I started STEP quite early too, but I was doing more STEP II than STEP I, just because I figured that if I can do STEP II, then I can do the easier version. I know someone who did almost all of STEP I before his interview, and I don't think I'm any worse off than him at this point.

I have seen some rather difficult STEP I questions, and it could potentially be a goldmine for tricks and methods, but I don't think I have the time for that now. I'll barely finish II and III by June.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by und)
    I started STEP quite early too, but I was doing more STEP II than STEP I, just because I figured that if I can do STEP II, then I can do the easier version. I know someone who did almost all of STEP I before his interview, and I don't think I'm any worse off than him at this point.

I have seen some rather difficult STEP I questions, and it could potentially be a goldmine for tricks and methods, but I don't think I have the time for that now. I'll barely finish II and III by June.
    Are you saying that I requires more ingenuity - I'm paraphrasing - or have I misinterpreted?

ReputationRep:
    To anyone with Maths offers, do we put down the 3 or 4 year course on Student Finance? I'm really confused...

ReputationRep:
    To anyone with Maths offers, do we put down the 3 or 4 year course on Student Finance? I'm really confused...
    4 I think.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ben-smith)
    4 I think.
    OK, thanks. I hate application forms...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by I am Ace)
    Are you saying that I requires more ingenuity - I'm paraphrasing - or have I misinterpreted?
    Not necessarily. I just know that there are a lot of questions that teach certain tricks or methods.

Put four years, otherwise you can't get a loan for Part III.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by und)
    Not necessarily. I just know that there are a lot of questions that teach certain tricks or methods.

Put four years, otherwise you can't get a loan for Part III.
    I/II aren't that different, except that I often includes questions which aren't dense mathematically but are difficult conceptually whereas II tends to be more mathematically in-depth overall. As said before, I think they should complement each other rather than replacing each other, as it's all STEP practise.

ReputationRep:
    Could you guys comment on this. http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...5#post41658535

Would be interesting to see more perspectives.

ReputationRep:
    Anyone doing the STEP easter course, have you had any more information about the pre-course online sessions? I'm aware the first one starts tomorrow and I don't know how to access it haha

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by J-M3ady)
    Anyone doing the STEP easter course, have you had any more information about the pre-course online sessions? I'm aware the first one starts tomorrow and I don't know how to access it haha
    ^this. Haven't heard anything since the initial email.

ReputationRep:
    Good, should be something today/tomorrow then, was worried that my email had filtered something into the junk or somesuch. Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ecw412)
    ^this. Haven't heard anything since the initial email.
    Good, should be something today/tomorrow then, was worried that my email had filtered something into the junk or somesuch. Thanks!
    Did you guys not get an email a week or so ago? There was that and a couple of emails granting access to the NRich STEP Easter School secret message board. You should have got an email detailing the different lectures and on there, there is a link to the first lecture for you to click 10 minutes before it starts at 6. PM me and I'll copy it to you.

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.