Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    This thread is now officially the 'Official Cambridge Easter STEP Preparation Offer Holders 2013 Mathematic Tripos Chat Thread'

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Synecdoche)
    This thread is now officially the 'Official Cambridge Easter STEP Preparation Offer Holders 2013 Mathematic Tripos Chat Thread'
    Ha yeees, so much maths on here

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sickoftheslaughter)
    Haha, should I be worried you might know of me, I hope I'm not too infamous at or outside the convent...? oh dear I'm sure the insults will be flying across the street, although there's not much I can think of against the Perse girls so this might be a touch one-sided!
    Well, you've given me no hints so I have no idea, but my sister's the only Esme in Year 9 ... and I'm a good friend of MK, who went to Perse Boys for sixth form, and MT-R who is currently at Perse Girls with me? Hope I'm not being too cryptic, but I don't want all the nuns egging me on my way to school if they find out who I am in real life...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Synecdoche)
    It is a shame that you have taken the thread over, rather than creating your own thread, with the title you suggest. Offer holders will have a lot to discuss between now and October - and STEP is not of any interest to the vast majority of them

ReputationRep:
    How much hard is it for going to Cambridge as international mature student? i am wanting to study in england or maybe scotland in good university

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bb193)
    It is a shame that you have taken the thread over, rather than creating your own thread, with the title you suggest. Offer holders will have a lot to discuss between now and October - and STEP is not of any interest to the vast majority of them
    No subject is a majority on here, so whatever the topic of conversation is it's not going to be an interest to the majority. We haven't taken over or stopped anyone else posting, it just happens that right now and in the run up to easter not much else is happening except the STEP easter school - and we initially didn't know of many people going so this thread, entitled to all with an offer, is the ideal place to find out how many other offer holders are going. If there was something exciting happening soon for Historians they'd be equally as vocal. (I'm not picking on Historians)
    We have a STEP thread, but we keep it academic for help with questions so this thread is for chat like it is for any other subject. Sorry if we offended you but we're not exactly holding back other discussion.

ReputationRep:
    Nothing will ever happen for us historians, we're a boring bunch

Or at least I am

ReputationRep:
    All the exciting history stuff is in the past

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DJMayes)
    To anyone with Maths offers, do we put down the 3 or 4 year course on Student Finance? I'm really confused...
    Regardless of course, there is no harm in putting 4 years.

General advice is if you think there's any chance you'll opt (assuming you're in a position to) for a fourth year, then you may as well make yourself eligible for the loan now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ladydisdain)
    Well, you've given me no hints so I have no idea, but my sister's the only Esme in Year 9 ... and I'm a good friend of MK, who went to Perse Boys for sixth form, and MT-R who is currently at Perse Girls with me? Hope I'm not being too cryptic, but I don't want all the nuns egging me on my way to school if they find out who I am in real life...
    Well I'm good friends with Megan Glover who you might know as she went to the Perse Girls for part of year 7 and that general group, if that's any clue, and I go by the name of Cathy so you should be able to guess who I am? I think I know MK, although I joined in Sixth Form so didn't know her at St Maz but she went to my primary school for a while, and I have no idea about MT-R so I'm afraid I'm pretty clueless! Haha I doubt they would egg you on the way to school... we're far to busy repenting our sins to leave the convent for more than a second :P

ReputationRep:
    Yay! I finally accepted my offer!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Muppetmad)
    Nothing will ever happen for us historians, we're a boring bunch

Or at least I am
    My favourite subjects are History and Maths, what does that make me?
    I was seriously considering doing History at several points last year!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _Georgie)
    I was seriously considering doing History at several points last year!
    Get out. :ninja:

Spoiler:
    Show

Just kidding, although it is an odd combination to be torn between - I'd usually expect Physics, Engineering, or Computer Science to be the other alternatives considered. Any particular reason?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DJMayes)
    Get out. :ninja:

Spoiler:
    Show

Just kidding, although it is an odd combination to be torn between - I'd usually expect Physics, Engineering, or Computer Science to be the other alternatives considered. Any particular reason?

Physics too, can't forget that. I'm in maths for the mathsy physics :cool:
    I'm not sure really - I took History as an extra in AS because I enjoyed it, and I really liked my teacher (coincidentally the one that helps with Oxbridge applications) and then I went back and forth when deciding whether to continue to A2 or not. The A2 work appealed so much because you got to do coursework on any question of your choosing within a certain timeframe and so you could learn about something you found really interesting.
    I guess History was just always a viable alternative; it's much more dynamic than maths, if that makes sense, and it was something I'd fall back on whenever I had doubts about how much I'd enjoy a maths degree and whenever I had doubts about my ability.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JustMe?)
    *waves hand about* over here! You Phys or Bioing it up?
    Phys - hopefully chemistry, you? Gotta get A*A*A first though haha. :/

ReputationRep:
    How well did you do this January, people? I feel closer to getting an A* now in one of my subjects seeing as I need to scrape an A next time to get an A*! Another subject requires just over 90 to get the A*, so that was disappointing... Anyway, good luck everyone!

ReputationRep:
    Cambridge seems light years away right now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by St. Brynjar)
    Cambridge seems light years away right now.
    Ditto :'(

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bulbasaur)
    Ditto :'(

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Can't help but notice you answered in Pokemon form. Well played.

Only one person in my whole year got an A in Geography, and I'm not that person. Summer is going to be interesting.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by St. Brynjar)
    Can't help but notice you answered in Pokemon form. Well played.

Only one person in my whole year got an A in Geography, and I'm not that person. Summer is going to be interesting.
    Damn. I got a B in my geog exam too, except even people who got awful grades last year got As. I thought i aced it. Getting a remark.

I scraped an A* in C3 somehow though, how's your other subjects looking?

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.