Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Women of the world: Love and friendship Watch

Anon please as victim of affections is on here.

Women: if a man told you he loved you but knew the feelings weren't reciprocated, - and he was quite socially awkward - would you necessarily be averse to having a friendship with him anyway, if he said he would move on from his feelings? Would it be too awkward for you, not just because his stated feelings were unreciprocated but because he was naturally awkward?

Hi,
    I've been through this kind of thing, although this guy also went out with one of my friends a few years ago, so I was pretty wary of him. We had been talking non stop for about 8 months when he told me he liked me and he knew that I didn't feel the same way about him. I didn't mind being friends with him, as he made me laugh and only a couple of months ago did I realise that my feelings had grown for him, and I wanted more than just friendship. Luckily he still likes me, and we are now dating.
    So, I think you should tell her, she may still want to be your friend, all the best relationships come out of friendship!

ReputationRep:
    I have been in this situation.

It only works if the man actually does get on and move on from his feelings.
    Otherwise, he becomes resentful that the girl does not change her mind (despite having always stated that such a thing would not happen) and does not behave the way he wants her to (ie, as a girlfriend).

Therefore, as long as you prove that you will be treating her as a friend (and forgetting your feelings for her), and not as more nor less, then it will work.

Are you the man or woman in this situation?

I've been in this position. It's awkward, but you can eventually move past it. Unless he brings it up again in which case it goes back to awkward for a bit!

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 6, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.